How are running numbers assigned and used?

trev999

You see, I have this rule called "Check Running Number" (CRN) that I have written to execute child rules when the running number of a vehicle falls into a range. This is useful for sorting cars at a humpyard.

You first need a trigger rule to start the process off when a vehicle crosses a trigger (or trackmark) which you place a short distance from the first junction of you humpyard.

You then define ranges of numbers for each track in the yard and and assign one to each CRN rule, which acts as a filter.

Then you have a Switch Junctions rule which sets a group of switches so as to direct the vehicle to the correct track.

Obviously, each vehicle needs to have a running-number assigned to it for the rule to work. Those vehicles without numbers can be sent to a default track.

Now drive the train over the hump at a constant speed of 3-4 Mph and watch the cars arrange themselves.

Now my questions: In the real world, how are running numbers used? Are they assigned by a clerk in the head office and stay with the vehicle for a certain period, or are they changed according to their destination or what load they carry? Or is there some other kind of system?

I suppose that a waybill would have the running-numbers of the vehicles carrying the load recorded on it. I am using TRS2004 and the "View Details" facility does not show the running-number so the only way to find it in Driver mode is to have some command which interrogates the RN.

Please enlighten me.

Trevor

Used mostly for accounting. A railroad will buy say 2,000 box cars and give them a new series of numbers, say 50000 to 52000 and yes some times they get re-numbered.

Thanks whitepass - I wonder why Auran put the feature in, though it does come in handy for my purposes. It is a sort of expansion of the Train Priority

Any other Trainzers have any more to add?

Trevor

Used mostly for accounting. A railroad will buy say 2,000 box cars and give them a new series of numbers, say 50000 to 52000 and yes some times they get re-numbered.
In the "olden days" of steam (before diesel locos), It was quite common, at least in NSW for new wagons to take numbers vacated by wagons that had been written off or transferred to service stock.

Back