NSW, Ballina Branch - Request for Information

PGibbons

Despite trawling all of my usual sources of public information I can find very little information on what rail infrastructure existed at Ballina. When you consider the line was only open for a few years between 1930 and 1949, perhaps this is not surprising.

I would appreciate any information about Ballina, references, photos or just anecdotal. In the event that I cant find out any more I'll just claim Poetic licence and build what I think might have been there based on what other terminus stations in NSW have.

Thanks

PG

Pgibbons,

Try a copy of either Byways of Steam 18: The Railway from Nowhere to Nowhere. This deals exclusively with the Grafton to the Tweed Railway, for the period 1894-1932, including a small section on the short-lived Ballina branch, which featured a diagram as well as a description of yard facilities, if i recall correctly.

If you are unable to obtain the book, drop us a PM, and i will attempt to send you the relevant information somehow.

Matt.

Thanks

Thanks gents.
NSWRail.net is one of my regular sources and usually has a wealth of info but in the case of the Ballina Branch is very sparce.
I'll try to locate the book.

PG

If I'm correct, the sandpit, I mean Rail (cough ur cough) page has something to download for Google Earth (not the Google Maps). I think it's a rail map that shows every rail and/or tram line in most states.

PG

The Byways of Steam 18 - The Tweed Railway book came from the Rail Transport Museum. I am not sure it they still have copies of#18.

Jeff

There's an awful lot of info on the Ballina branch on the ARHS NSWGR signal diagrams/documents CD-ROM collection. From memory there are diagrams of both Ballina Junction & Ballina together with a full technical & operational document from the opening of the line.

I presume the CDs are still available at all good gunzel shops...

Cheers,
Dreadnought1

Last edited:
Back