How do you rename content?

silverfox60017

Hi all. Can anyone tell me if you can rename content to make it easier to locate. Hypathetical eample: A station canopy maybe listed as WEDF567-A, can it be renamed, for example, 'Old station canopy', so you can find it quicker, it drives me nuts wading through the endless list of meaningless numbers. Also can you delete objects without going into the content manager? Many thanks all.

Hi all. Can anyone tell me if you can rename content to make it easier to locate. Hypathetical eample: A station canopy maybe listed as WEDF567-A, can it be renamed, for example, 'Old station canopy', so you can find it quicker, it drives me nuts wading through the endless list of meaningless numbers. Also can you delete objects without going into the content manager? Many thanks all.

Silverfox,

Unfortunately for you, Content Manager is the only way delete assets, other than routes, which can be deleted in-game. It is also possible to rename objects through CM.
The easiest way is to find the asset that you wish to rename, select it then view Asset Details. This opens the details tab (Duh, of course:eek:) which brings up a few bits of info, including name, file size etc. The box with asset name is the on you want: select the name, then delete it and type whatever name you want for the asset.
Once that is done, when you click outside of the asset detail box the item will register the new name.

Hope this helps.

Matt.

Hi There.
I have had the same problem myself and I know it can be very frustrating. The way that I have found to deal with it of late is to find the content you want and then clone it giving you two copies of the same asset. You can then rename the cloned copy by either editing the config file or through the CMP (or both but make sure both names are exactly the same). You will not see the asset appear in your content until you shut down the CMP and restart it. Sometimes I found that you need to open them for edit and then re-commit them.

I have put the name Bill in front of all my favorite content and assets and then attributed them a three star rating again on the CMP. I have not long started this system but at the moment it seems to be working very well. They are very easy to find with the three star system and the name Bill in front.

Hope this helps
Bill:D

Last edited:
Keywords

You can tag all assets with keywords in Content Manager. It is then quite easy to make searches and save them both in CM and Surveyor. Finding your favourites will after a while become very easy.

R/Tom
:)

select your desired content in cm
right click on it and select edit>edit in content creator plus
in the name tag in content creator delete previous one write new name save it comitt it thats it

select your desired content in cm
right click on it and select edit>edit in content creator plus
in the name tag in content creator delete previous one write new name save it comitt it thats it

This method will in most case not be practical with the built-in content. This content will have to be "fixed" if you open it for editing. That is a major undertaking. Start to experiment with keywords and searches, and you will soon find that to be quite easy.

The method described by Matt in post #2 is the quickest and easiest.

Edit: Turns out that gfisher is correct. This change is like keywords and can be losted in a crash.
William

Last edited:
What is the impact of renameing assets? I assume the internally Trainz uses the KUID as the reference. I'm curious because I have a large number of assets in foreign languages, and it would make my life much easier if I changed the names to English.

Other than changing how the name is displayed in game there is no effect. All the references are to the KUIDs as you assumed. You are free to rename at will. Of course, the changes are only local to your machine.

William

Many thanks.

Thanks to all for advice. Still a shame you can't rename in surveyor as there is far too much stuff and finding what you want is a pain. Wouldn't be so bad if all the content on CM had a thumbnail so you could see what the item looks like as, if like me, you're only intersted in British content, you have to wade through endless lists of non-British items. But I fully realise this is an international sim. Thanks again.

Once that is done, when you click outside of the asset detail box the item will register the new name.
True enough it will. Up until the time that you have a crash in the game, and then it will be lost, as it makes no change to the username in the config file. To give 2010 some credit, it does seem to be much more crash resistant than earlier versions, but sooner or later it is going to crash and then any such changes will be gone. I have learned the hard way using the more crashworthy 2006 to always change the config file so the change will be permanent if I care enough about using the asset.

Silverfox,

Unfortunately for you, Content Manager is the only way delete assets, other than routes, which can be deleted in-game. It is also possible to rename objects through CM.
The easiest way is to find the asset that you wish to rename, select it then view Asset Details. This opens the details tab (Duh, of course:eek:) which brings up a few bits of info, including name, file size etc. The box with asset name is the on you want: select the name, then delete it and type whatever name you want for the asset.

Hope this helps.

Matt.
G'Day Matt, after reading this last night I just had to give it a go, it is so easy and you could even copy and paste a foreign name to google translate prior to making a change so you know what it does say.
Great information there.
Regards
Barrie

After some testing, gfisher is correct. Changing the name this way is the same as setting a keyword. The name changes are stored in the same file as keywords: KeywordsDump.dat

Be sure to backup your keywords and make a copy of this file to another location on your computer. If you have a crash you can copy the file back to the TS2009 or TS2010 folder and then use the restore keywords command.

Edit: The problem with opening assets for editing and changing the name is that you force a error check on the asset when you commit the asset. With many built-in assets this can produce a faulty asset when the asset was fine before opening it for edit.

William

Last edited:
G'day guys,

I was not aware of the issue with assets reverting to the original name after crashes, as i have not actually renamed any content. I was only aware of the ability to rename content by the method i described, not issues tht may crop up later.

I described this method, and not the longer method of cloning/opening for edit suggested by others, as this would in effect change the KUID number, to your own, which could cause a few problems if uploading of routes/sessions is to be attempted.

Still, the info regarding crashes is good to know.

Matt.

cloning/opening for edit suggested by others
You don't have to clone it. In fact it is better if you don't for the reason you just mentioned. Personally I usually keep the original user name just for future reference, so if I download "127 Philips Avenue" and I want to remember it as a house, I just change the username to "House 127 Philips Avenue".

Keywords can get wiped out too, and this has happened to me more than I like. I try to get religious about saving them everytime I add a new one. Even more important I import my keyword file from back up everytime I plan on adding some new ones and then save. The reason is that if you have had a crash, but haven't really quite realized that things have crashed, as sometimes happened on exiting 2006, then when you add a new keyword, that will be the only new keyword that is active, and when you save keywords, it will overwrite the old file which still has all your keywords with a new file containing only one keyword. There ought to be a better way Auran if anyone is listening.

Another way (at least in TRS06), right click, Edit in Explorer, open "config" Text Document, rename "username", save, close Text Document, commit. A bit tedious but crashproof.

Say How do we rename content in modern trainz versions

Open the asset for editing and edit the username tag in the config.txt file. There's an open config file for editing short-cut in the right-click menu.

I wish there was an easier way so we can use a lot of that awesome foreign content that we'll never find because the names are too confusing to remember, besides wildcard searching is as always unavailable.

Back