Copying routes and sessions between PC and laptop

Chris2f8

I was wondering how on earth do I get this done, since I created my own routes and sessions on the laptop during the holiday and wanted now to transfer that to my desktop PC at home.:eek:

Chris2

I was wondering how on earth do I get this done, since I created my own routes and sessions on the laptop during the holiday and wanted now to transfer that to my desktop PC at home.:eek:

Chris2

In TRS2006 you save the route as a CDP file and send it to the new PC, and import the CDP onto Trainz via the CMP

Thanks, but please help again! What is a CDP file and how do I save that in TS2010? I know what CMP is?

Chris,

CMP = Content Manager Plus in TS2006.

CM or CM3.2 = Content Manager in TS2010.

John

Hi I am ten and need to understand this in a real simple way! I can plan and design really complex routes but this has me stumped!

John

What is a CDP file? Whenever I want to save a route in the simulator I simply click on Save and then the file is created by the programme itself. Is there a way how I must identify the file as a CDP file?

Chris2

John

What is a CDP file? Whenever I want to save a route in the simulator I simply click on Save and then the file is created by the programme itself. Is there a way how I must identify the file as a CDP file?

Chris2

Chris...

Let's assume that your route is called 'chris route' and your session is called 'chris session'. Now...when you first start trainz 2010, you get the launch screen right...it says 'start, options, content, manual etc'. So click on the 'content' tab and after a couple of seconds, content manager will start up.

Now look at the tabs and find the 'today' tab, if you click on that tab there is every chance you will see your route and session as long as you have edited and saved it in the last 24 hours, if not, click on the 'installed' tab instead and type the name of your route into the search window on the left hand side of content manager...in this case, search for 'chris route'

Now once content manager finds it, you'll see it in the window on the right hand side of content manager. Right click on it and choose 'save to CDP'. Choose a place on your hard drive to save this file to and then once you have done...do exactly the same for your session 'ie search for chris session'...right click and save to CDP.

Once you have saved both files...copy them to your memory stick(USB) or whatever you're going to use to transfer them to your other computer(PC).

Now aslong as you have trainz2010 installed on your other computer, do the same...start trainz and select content from the menu. Once it's open, go to the drop down menu 'file/import CDP' and point to the location that you saved your route/session to and remember to import both your route and your session.

Content manager will then import and install your route and session to trainz on your other computer(PC) and you should be good to go.

Hope this is simple enough and that you get it working....

Mart.

Last edited:
Chris-

Follow Mart's instructions and you'll be fine. However, bear in mind, that any dependencies won't be saved with the route, so you'll need to have all the stuff you plan to put on your route installed on both computers. Otherwise, either assets you put in your route will not show on your desktop, or assets you want to put in your route won't be available when you're designing your route on your laptop.

Copying routes and sessions between PCs

This was the best news since I joint the Trainz family! Mart knows how to explain in detail!! Thanks Mart

Chris...

Let's assume that your route is called 'chris route' and your session is called 'chris session'. Now...when you first start trainz 2010, you get the launch screen right...it says 'start, options, content, manual etc'. So click on the 'content' tab and after a couple of seconds, content manager will start up.

Now look at the tabs and find the 'today' tab, if you click on that tab there is every chance you will see your route and session as long as you have edited and saved it in the last 24 hours, if not, click on the 'installed' tab instead and type the name of your route into the search window on the left hand side of content manager...in this case, search for 'chris route'

Now once content manager finds it, you'll see it in the window on the right hand side of content manager. Right click on it and choose 'save to CDP'. Choose a place on your hard drive to save this file to and then once you have done...do exactly the same for your session 'ie search for chris session'...right click and save to CDP.

Once you have saved both files...copy them to your memory stick(USB) or whatever you're going to use to transfer them to your other computer(PC).

Now aslong as you have trainz2010 installed on your other computer, do the same...start trainz and select content from the menu. Once it's open, go to the drop down menu 'file/import CDP' and point to the location that you saved your route/session to and remember to import both your route and your session.

Content manager will then import and install your route and session to trainz on your other computer(PC) and you should be good to go.

Hope this is simple enough and that you get it working....

Mart.

Followed instructions, everything went exactly as described - but still not appearing in list. Am I missing something? Do I need to be logged on to allow files to be transferred?

Ben

Two possible answers, one the file is in the open for edit tab, if so select and commit it. The second is that you have not got all the assets the route uses and it shows as faulty in CMP.
What I normaly do is select the route in CMP and right click on it and select view dependancies. Then click view in main list button, all the content the route uses will be there. Go to edit at the top and choose select all. Right click on the selected assets and save as CDP in the same way as you did with Mart1001. Repeat for the session. Most of your assets will then be transfered.
Check in CMP for any other faults or missing content the route might have.

Thanks for reply. I'm hoping the first solution will provide the answer, as both owners are running the program on separate PCs 'as is', so there shouldn't be any missing assets (i.e. neither has downloaded any extras).

I'm assuming when you say 'the file is in the open for edit tab, if so select and commit it', this is on the second PC, after the files have been imported? Is this straightforward, or are you able to explain a little more (afraid we're not very up-to-speed with these processes).

Very grateful to you for taking the time.

Sometimes an asset might appear in the open for edit tab instead of going into the local folder. If so just select them click on the edit button on the top and click on commit at the bottom of the edit window. This moves them into the local folder. Look for and delete the assets.tdx and assets.bku files or a data base repair and let trainz rebuild the data base when you next open it.

Last edited:
Back