Trs2010 Very Poor Draw Distance! Driver Mode Even Worse

jjeff1955

I am running 2010 on a super computer and the Trs2006 works beautiful with fantastic draw distance enhanced with the Trainz Tuner and still has good frame rates. Trs2009 & Trs2010 in Drive mode the draw distance is very bad, Mountains blink in an out, very unrealistic. Why not make this program adjustable with more draw distance available for fast high end computers and video cards. The only sales point of this 2010 was the better 3d trees and layers. not worth it for the draw distance losses. I will just wait for creators to creat 2006 compatible trees as I have a few that already work.:eek:

I found the draw-distance settings in globalmodule.txt and set it to 58000m with good results for survayor only and the Mountain textures turn it squares from a distance that would be scenery draw distance that I need to locate to fix that.:eek:

I am adding on to this post as I go Set the draw distance at 5800m and there was a huge improvement in frame rates in survayor more than likely do to stopping the mountains and distant objects from popping in and out. Amazing! Frame rates actually improved to that point. But Driver still does not work with that setting. At least good for taking screen shots in survayor.:)

Last edited:
I have seen a few people mention this. I run a middle of the scale system atm and I have no issues in driver or surveyor, Got view to max and have excellent draw distance and frame rates. And my PC is slowly dying atm as well. new one coming soon :)

What GFX card are you using? Possibly can list your system specs and/or dxdiag (dxdiag - which I am happy to have a look at and see if anything could be assisting with your problem) Just because it is a high end system as you mention, just a single driver issue etc can cause the weirdest or problems with a game, business app or what not.

Hope it gets sorted out mate. And as I said happy to look over your DXdiag if you need assistance understanding all the jargon listed.

Cheers

Trent

Thanks Tanvaras

My Specs are as follows.

XP Pro Sp3
AMD 965 Phenome II Quadcore
Crosshair II motherboard
4 Gigs of Crucial tracer memory sees 3 gigs XP (in good health)
EVGA 295 Co 0p Video card Sli dissabled for Trainz
4x W.D. Raptor HDDs in raid 0
XFI Creative sound card
1100 Watt PSU
Very good cooling with the Apevia X-Navagator case
I will have to put in the dxdiag (dxdiag) A lttile bit later as I have not been running Trainz lately do to other things needing to be done.

I am sure there is some kind of work around Trs2006 run perfect excellent draw distance even in Drive mode.:)

Last edited:
Hi Jeff,

Er .... Unless you have a completely different copy of TS2009 than me there IS an option to alter the draw distance in Surveyor and Driver.

Go to Main Menu, Options, Video Settings

and you can alter the draw distance from 1000m to 5000m.
I just opened my copy of TS2009 and the draw distance was on 1500m, as you said not a very good display.
If the mountains blinking on 5000m is still bothering you alter 'good weather fog' by one step of the slider to hide them.
There should be no need to manually alter the .txt file, 58000m=58Km which is way over the max of 5Km TS2009 was expecting.

Hope this helps,
Lindsay

I have Trs 2010 installed at the moment

I am using the Trs 2010 and it is almost the same as 2009 and:) it does have a draw distance slider and it is maxed.

2010 has a limiter in it. when the game believes that there are to many inefficient items in the draw area it will reduce the draw distance so your computer doesn't crash. This limiter doesn't care if you have a high performance machine or a older one. They put it in so minimum spec machines would be able to run the game reasonably well. As far as I know the only way to improve your draw distance is to replace the inefficient items with more efficient ones.

2010 has a limiter in it. when the game believes that there are to many inefficient items in the draw area it will reduce the draw distance so your computer doesn't crash. This limiter doesn't care if you have a high performance machine or a older one. They put it in so minimum spec machines would be able to run the game reasonably well. As far as I know the only way to improve your draw distance is to replace the inefficient items with more efficient ones.
A feature which should be optional as it seems to affect a lot of high end PC's adversly.
Regards
Barrie

This subject has been discussed in other threads. Unfortunately Auran is not going to make it an option for longer draw distances in Driver. Too bad for all high end machines users!!

This subject has been discussed in other threads. Unfortunately Auran is not going to make it an option for longer draw distances in Driver. Too bad for all high end machines users!!
It's not a case of wanting extra draw distance, but making the feature?? (auto adjust draw distance willy nilly) which they put in ts10 optional by something like a check box but I guess that Auran doesn't work on the KISS principle.:hehe:
Regards
Barrie

I'm not 100% sure if it works with TS2009/TS2010, but if the draw distance options are not available to you, a program called Trainz Tuner may help (read the instructions carefully though, as it is a Java application that must have access to certain files in the Trainz folder (namely trainzoptions.txt/trainzclassicoptions.txt and tuning.dat) to do it's work (Trainz Tuner can automatically create backups of the 2 files if it is setup correctly) - you can backup the 2 files mentioned first if you are in any way unsure (tuning.dat is in the Settings folder)

Trainz Tuner can be downloaded from http://www.kreativenergy.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=category&sectionid=4&id=13&Itemid=29

Shane

Trainz Tuner only works with Trs2006

I have tried the Trainz Tuner 1.3 with 2009 & 2010 and it is all grayed out in the features. But thanks anyway for the help.:) I completly agree that Trs2010 shoud have an option for the draw distance to be increased. But Noooo!:'( Auran does not want to support the folks that pay the money for the Trs Software. That is why I spent so much $$ for a high end computer was just for Trainz to feel like the real thing.

I have tried the Trainz Tuner 1.3 with 2009 & 2010 and it is all grayed out in the features. But thanks anyway for the help.:) I completly agree that Trs2010 shoud have an option for the draw distance to be increased. But Noooo!:'( Auran does not want to support the folks that pay the money for the Trs Software. That is why I spent so much $$ for a high end computer was just for Trainz to feel like the real thing.
Not so much the draw distance, that's fine if you have no scenery............. but I seriously think the crash limiting element needs to be looked at and made adjustable.

Got mine up to 7000 in Surveyor by editing the global options.txt, it doesn't actually physically get to that distance but its an awful lot better than the official maximum setting provides plus there did seem to be a slight improvement in driver, turning the fog up seems to improve things slightly again as well, well here it does anyway.

Worth looking at that thread about turning off the speed tree animations as well, tried that and am definitely getting trees appearing and then vanishing again less frequently.

Off topic but just downloaded the latest Nvidia Beta drivers 258.69 and am now getting usable frame rates in OpenGL on Win7 64bit. one of the "fixes" is added support for OpenGL 3.3 so what they were using before is anyones guess, maybe they should have phrased it working support?

Certainly keeps you on your toes getting Trainz running smoothly............ :(

...As far as I know the only way to improve your draw distance is to replace the inefficient items with more efficient ones.
The key issue seems to be with the track used, so I would check this first. You may have to downgrade to a chunky mesh track to get rid of the 'pop-up' effect.

Paul

Trainz Tuner works perfectly for me in TRS 2006. Doesn't matter how high the definition of track or surrounding scenery. If it gets too jerky because of the amount and definition of scenery, I turn the the draw distance down accordingly. I just wish Auran would allow those of us with the computing power to be able to drive in our cabs with sliders turned up to the max if that is what can be done. Simple. Turn the sliders down if the pop up effect is too much. Just give the customer what they want! Not very proto-typical when you can see for miles around outside the cab, then jumping back in the cab the draw distance drops to maybe a couple of thousand metres.

Bolivar. Exactly! You Stated it Right!

I am glad that this thread is still alive. Maybe we can get the point accross. Most games have an option that you can, at your own risk set things as high as you want. If the computer crashes then you backoff. So as the world of overclocking hardware abilities. Another words to have the right to (Push The Limits!)

The key issue seems to be with the track used, so I would check this first. You may have to downgrade to a chunky mesh track to get rid of the 'pop-up' effect.

Paul
I spoke too soon! I was checking out Cootes Lane MPD, kuid:254397:106742, by lord-claud-hamilton - a 2 board intensively detailed layout - the other day and was appalled at the degree of pop-up even when the track was changed to chunky mesh. Draw distances dropping down to less then 500 metres and then expanding again, just looks awful. So bad in fact that I'm tempted to take a video of it (which means buying FRAPS so I'll have to think about it).

I can't believe this is how the limiter was meant to work. :confused:

Paul

I can't believe this is how the limiter was meant to work. :confused:

The limiter is meant to do everything it needs to do to prevent the machine crashing. If the content in use is built efficiently, then draw distance can be pushed out to the user's selected range and there are no problems. If the content is built less efficiently, the game will be forced to pull the draw distance in once the safe maximum limits have been reached.

chris

Is there any rational explanation for why there is not a manual override for the limiter? Can there not just be a check box to turn it on and off, with a warning message, like there is for compatibility mode? I havnt had any issues with the limiter since my routes tend to be flatland routes where draw distances arnt tremendously important but I know many people who will not use TRS 10 because of this, which is a shame because it definitely is a major improvement over 06.

Is there any rational explanation for why there is not a manual override for the limiter?

Several; but one of the biggest for us is that people would simply get used to turning it off. Instead of building efficient routes or demanding improved content from the third-party content creators, they'ed be blaming us for the game crashes.

chris

I have to disagree with you on that one, WindWalkr. The point here is that if such a tick box or button were provided together with a warning, then a cusomer would not complain because... well a warning is a warning. Simple. Please give us, your clients what we want. Really ridiculous, as I have said before, to see for kilometres around outside, then to jump back into the cab to see a couple thousand metres ...that's if you are lucky. Sometimes the draw ditance is even less. Then there is the woeful appearing /disappearing act of all your scenery, both in and outside the cab. Not good, mate. One reason why I still haven't brought over my routes from 06. And please do not atack only me, as you can see there are plenty of Auran customers complaining about the draw distance limiter. TRS2010 could be that much better with the option to cater for all sorts of machine set ups. Regards.

Last edited:
Back