FPS display?

sniper297

Coconut God
Is there some way to get TRS2004 or 2010 to display an FPS counter? Tried the standard SHIFT Z but it don't do anything.

Not sure about 2004 but, in 2010...when running in driver or even in surveyor I supose:press your windows key(or alt-tab if another prog open) to minimize trainz. Then look to the trainz tab in your Taskbar. You see those numbers...guess what ? ;)

Mart.

PS...for the less computer experienced readers....clicking the Trainz tab in your Taskbar will return you to your game.

Last edited:
You could also get Fraps, which is a video game recording tool. There is a free demo version out there. Just do a Google search for it. It has an option to show FPS in game, plus you can take short in game videos.

FRAPS gives instaneous readings of FPS. If you run any session in Driver, then when you finish you can open the file ..\Auran\TS2009\jetlog.txt and scroll to the bottom you'll see the average FPS and total time you drove.

Bob

Running Trainz in Window mode shows FPS in top left corner. Does on my Trainz 2009, 2010 at least. Never really checked on older versions.

Cheers

Trent

Thanks, guys, I already have FRAPS, but AFAIK just having FRAPS loaded slows down the framerates and gives a false reading, no? I'll use it if nothing else is available, when troubleshooting low framerates it's important to have some kind of benhhmark. I had already noted that running in a window produces FPS on the window itself, trouble is that don't help when you're trying to decide if you get better framerates in windowed or full screen mode. My specs;

OS: Windows XP Media (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 2 (2600.xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158)
Model: Dell DXP051
CPU: Intel(R) Pentium(R) D CPU 2.80GHz (2 CPUs)
Memory: 2046MB RAM
DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)

Video: Radeon X550 256.0 MB
ATI Driver Version: 6.14.0010.6925

Sound: SigmaTel Audio
sthda.sys Driver Version: 5.10.4823.0000 (English)

Obviously I need a new video card, and a real soundcard instead of the onboard chip might help, don't have the buckazoids for either right now. Currently running fullscreen at 1024x768x32, native resolution of the monitor is 1280x1024x32, but I can't actually see any difference.

FPS readout

Hi. I'm new to the Trainz forum, so please forgive any mistakes I may make.

Through random messing about, I discovered that on the initial screen where you select display options, untick the full screen box. When you start the game, the fps is then always displayed in the upper left of the window. It worked for me, anyway (2010EE).

I found that with all graphic options turned lowest, with my Radeon HD4550 I only got about 25 fps at most. Hopefully, when I swap it for a HD5770 things will improve.

Hope this helps.:)

Running in windowed mode will lower your frames per second, using fraps will also lower them.

The log file will give you an average figure but if you say no log you get better performance.

Cheerio John

Running in windowed mode will lower your frames per second, using fraps will also lower them.

The log file will give you an average figure but if you say no log you get better performance.

Cheerio John

John using earlier versions of Trainz I would agree (it was even in the manual that widowed reduced performance) but I can't see any real performance hit windowed or fullscreen with 2010, they are within 3% of each other and there are some routes where windowed outperforms fullscreen...:confused:

Now I check the jetlog and use MSI's afterburner and it has a fraps like app that runs either overlayed or on my G-15 keyboard lcd. when I am running windowed in overlay mode there doesn't appear to be any overhead lag or running just to the lcd there is no improvement or loss with or without the app in memory.

Last edited:
Back