Slow ftp

Robert65d

Although having a first class ticket, I find that when using ftp connection to download it is very sloooow. I tried using CMP(2010) and Trainz Downloader Pro, but they do not work because, I assume, of firewalls at my download location.
Any advice on this issue would be appreciated.

Thanks Bob

Don't turn off your firewall; just create a rule to allow CMP access through it. You can turn off your anti-virus software when running Trainz itself for better performance.

If you have a router, try rebooting that and being sure you aren't doing other stuff at the same time. Also double-check you aren't running more than one firewall (e.g. ZoneAlarm and Window's built-in one) at the same time.

Just out of interest, what firewall software are you using? I may be able to do a step-by-step guide on how to add exceptions.

Otherwise, it may (possibly) be a badly-set (misconfigured) router although this is unlikely.

Depending on what antivirus software you are using, you may be able to create a on-access scanning exception for the Trainz folder. (Normally, I am weary of the idea of disabling antivirus software unless the internet is not active at the time (either by turning off the wireless or unplugging the network cable)

Also, on that subject, disabling the internet connection whilst running Trainz itself (although not whilst using Content Manager) can also improve performance and reduce the chance of Trainz freezing whilst loading into Driver/Surveyor (although the internet may be needed for database rebuilds or if you are using the internet parts of Trainz).

Also, the FTP connection itself is slow (4KB/s) for a reason. Auran have had to do that due to the amount of users/content on the DLS. Buying a FCT is the only way to get a better speed as the FCT server is seperate from the non-FCT server.

Shane

Last edited:
Thanks for replies

Thankyou all for replying.
I do not have control of virus or firewall settings at this location, so it looks like I just have to make do with the 4 Kb/sec ftp speeds even with a first class ticket.

Thanks Bob

Is this a persistent problem, or only recently?
I have been having trouble with DLS (both from CM and on the "black" pages). Seems that Auran is overloaded.

I also have the FCT, so that is not the issue.

FW

The site is not only slow but non working today.

I am going to contact the help desk and ask for a FCT refund or get extended time as the DLS is always doing this.:confused:

Back