AI trains not stopping at stations as required.

Ghostryder

QDRN CEO
I am using 2010 build 42203, and i have found a problem on one of my maps that i have recently imported to 2010.

I have used the AJS invisible stations throughout the map. The Problem i have is as follows, i have written a series of AI schedules and whilst testing them i found that some of the loco hauled sets would stop at some stations but at others it would slow down as though it was about to stop at the station but then all of sudden would start up again move out of the station then stop where it would go through the commands i had listed for the AI to do at that station before moving on.

The commands the AI were given for each station are Navigate to/load/guards whistle/wait 5 seconds/hornz. I have also tried replacing navigate to with call at and the problem is still there.

anyone have any thoughts or ideas as to how i can correct this.

cheers

ghosty

A known problem with AJS invisible stations and TRS2010. Some other posts in this forum have pointed the finger at changes to the braking characteristics of trains in 2010.

One possible solution is to put a track speed restriction ahead of the station - I would suggest a variable speed board that will reduce the speed for passenger trains only.

Another solution that has been suggested is to manually edit the config.txt files for the locos to alter their braking data.

pware

The train approached the very first station on the line which already had a 25km/h speed board approaching it, the train approached the station as per normal slowed down reached Zero km/h and stopped, but then before the programmed actions for the station could be enabled it started again and cleared the station then stopped and the programmed actions ran through, once they were completed the train moved to the next staation. i tried the VSB option and i regrett to inform that it ended the same way as the lower speed.

cheers

ghosty

pware

The train approached the very first station on the line which already had a 25km/h speed board approaching it, the train approached the station as per normal slowed down reached Zero km/h and stopped, but then before the programmed actions for the station could be enabled it started again and cleared the station then stopped and the programmed actions ran through, once they were completed the train moved to the next staation. i tried the VSB option and i regrett to inform that it ended the same way as the lower speed.

cheers

ghosty

Try after navigate to station wait for 1 minute then do the load command that way the train is stopped before it loads.

hert:wave:

Hi Ghosty

I have just recently set up some AI passenger trains myself.

Have not seen that sort of problem though.

I do not use the 'guards whistle/wait 5 seconds/hornz' commands.

My suggestion would be to remove one of them at a time and see if one of them is causing the problem.

Dennis

--------------------------------------
Port Waratah Circa 1960 in development
--------------------------------------

Last edited:
I also have seen this problem in TS2010 with some of my passenger trains. I 'fixed it' by cutting the number of passenger cars in the consist down from 8 to 5. At least now my passenger trains stop and load at the problem stations. Not sure why this works.

I thought the AI trains were supposed to figure out how much in advance they needed to brake. I didn't know they could actually screw up on stopping.

Davis

I thought the AI trains were supposed to figure out how much in advance they needed to brake. I didn't know they could actually screw up on stopping.

Davis

I don't think it is an issue of braking. My consists are approaching the station at less than 20 mph, come to a halt, hesitate, and then move on without loading or unloading.

One problem with this is that if you have a track mark just past the station the train will ignore it because it has not yet cleared out the 'load/unload' command from its instruction set. Then things really start to get messy.

I repeat, have a look at the thread "AJS Invisible Stations" started on June 6th by me.

I had the same problems, received some good responses, and AndyZ finally cracked it for me.

Alan

I repeat, have a look at the thread "AJS Invisible Stations" started on June 6th by me.

I had the same problems, received some good responses, and AndyZ finally cracked it for me.

Alan

Hi Alan, what did AndyZ have to say? I'm being lazy... ;)

John

Re: Trains not stopping at AJS Invisible Stations (TS2010)

This is what AndyZ gave me, and it works.

I have found that in 2010 the engines need a fairly high "max. deceleration" value to work with Andi06's stations.
Try this for a start:
remove all but two coaches from the consist, if this works increase the number of coaches untill the train fails to load.
This means you have to increase the max deceleration figure.
I found that a class 47 with 6 coaches needs something like a value of 220000 to stop in time for the station to work.
Remenber the train is trying to stop from 9-11 Mph in no more than about 10-15 meters! (in 2006 this was about 7 Mph).
Also consider the following post from Auran:

quote:

This thread will list information about how the AI operates. We'll start with speed control.
AI Drivers use the max accel, max decel to determine how fast to speed up and slow down. (Actually they also use the loco mass figure which is part of the loco file itself not the engine spec, plus the mass of all the other cars in the consist).
Top speed is determined by maxspeed (set in m/s so 40 = 40*60*60/1000 = 144kph).
We are talking here about the enginespec config files under the section Motor. you can view these by searching on Category/Train engine and display the config using View Config
The AI Drivers look at how fast they think they should be traveling and then set their throttle accordingly. So it will set at 50% in order to use half its power.
New code has been written for TS2009 to get AI drivers to drive more smoothly and to stop better at red lights (by looking down the track and determining when to start braking for a red light).
Also, in some previous versions of Trainz, engine specs used much lower settings due to different AI behaviour. TS2009 now looks at the engine spec as says, if Build Version <2.8 and max accel < 6,000 then multiple x 4.5. Also, if Build Version <2.8 and max decel < 10,000 then multiple x 4.5.
Here are some additional notes on this for those that would like a deeper explanation:
Isaac Newton said force equals mass times acceleration. Elementary mathematics thus gives us acceleration equals force divided by mass.
AI drivers use the "max-accel" and "max-decel" of all the locos in the consist to determine how much force to apply to the train. The mass is that of all the traincars in the consist.
The acceleration is thus the sum of all the 'max-accel' values for the locos, divided by the sum of all the 'mass' values for the traincars.

Alan

I have had a problem sort of like this on a fictional tram route I made. At a few of my smaller stations trams slowed down but did not stop in time and then continued on. The trams were programed "Drive to...", "Load", "Wait 30 Seconds" which is what I presume is right. Does anyone know if there is any was to overcome this?

I fixed this problem by inserting a trackmark at the place I want the train to stop (locomotive). Reduce the radius of action of it to about 1 meter or less to be accurate. Do a drive or navigate to command to the trackmark before the command to go to the station in question and then have your "actions" while at the station (load, etc..). It does work for me. Yes, I got the same problem happening at all the stations! (basic passenger stations too). Incidentally, where can I download the guard whistle thing? I don't think I have it.

Guards whistle

Go to Content Manager, search Name "Guards Whistle"

I down loaded it yesterday but it doesn't work, no sound. I think you need to set it up with a sound file, but I don't Know how to do this.

maybe someone will help us, Please?

I'm having this problem with the Metro-North equipment that was built-in with 2010. This appears to happen with both M7 and P32/Shoreliner consists that the trains will not stop at "Harlem" despite programmed commands to load/unload passengers depending on the train's "origin" (Harmon, Port Jervis, Southeast, NWP, or NHV). This causes a problem as an M7 train will simply reverse direction and attempt to make the station despite other trains being in the way. The Shoreliner consist will go to "Grand Central", reverse, and then return to "Harlem" and make the stop after going via the "Mott Haven Wye" and return to "GCT" with the engine leading. I managed to catch a set of New Haven Washboards before they also ignored this stop to unload passengers.

Back