Light in Tunnels

Mick_Berg

Having spent a lot of time recently working with tunnels, I've noticed something. The light inside a tunnel changes with the time of day and the amount of sunlight. This is unrealistic. Is there a way to have constant darkness inside a tunnel? A config.txt setting maybe, or a material setting in gmax?
Thanks,
Mick Berg.

G'Day Mick, my first trainz was UTC and the tunnels were like that then, it also rains and snows inside them too.:hehe:
At least MSTS had dark tunnels and no snow or rain.:wave:
Don't get me wrong I like both sims but the tunnel thing is so basic and has never been looked at but we have speed trees instead.:hehe:
Regards
Barrie

Funny, I never noticed weather inside of tunnels. I guess that's because it's usually not raining or snowing when I enter them:D

As for the light; I agree. It is unrealistic to have lighting inside of rail tunnels.
Maybe there is something in the config.txt file for lighting, but if you try to change it, the asset will probably be broken.

FW

I will post about this in the Content Creation department. Maybe someone knows how to make a texture that is not responsive to the sunlight. What would Trainz look like if the sunlight was reduced to zero?
Mick Berg.

It depends what tunnel you use. On some as the ones in 04, the inside was not dark enough, but the light from the engine will light it. If you use a tunnel that is a spline, it could be very dark, but the light from the engine lights nothing. Some tunnels have tracks built in. Splines ones you add the track. Buit I have not seen (hear) a tunnel track that simulates the noise of a train in a ..tunnel! I have tried to use HP track with bridge noise and it get's close, but not exact to the booming sound I am used to. I think these are refinements Auran or somebody else should make. As per the rain and snow, this is an old matter, and I am tired of talking about it. A matter of the deaf ears of Auran (I think that just a comment could pacify all of us)

Would using the "dighole" system stop rain getting in?

Luckily the route I'm working on currently only has one (short) tunnel so not a major issue but as I've commented in the various "Future of..." style threads I would like to see tunnels high on the priority list for a revamp for future versions.

Back