Trainz asset number limit?

Ben1337

Trainz operator
I'm wondering what's the limit of assets which can be rendered in the view of trainz.

I ask this because in this picture http://img715.imageshack.us/img715/5352/ben1337201006180000.jpg Has over 150 trees (of the same asset) in view and it renders all of them perfectly.
Note: I haven't placed all of the trees, so there are more to come.

But, when I go to another, totally different area of the same route.
view: 5000 meters: http://img532.imageshack.us/i/ben1337201006180001.jpg/
View: 1000 meters: http://img190.imageshack.us/i/ben1337201006180002.jpg/
It doesn't render everything and I use a lot more variation in the assets I use.

I think there's 8 different types of tracks I used in that area and I have over 19 different assets (including track types).

Edit: This is only a rough count. So it could be inaccurate.

So is there a limit to the number of different assets trainz can render in view?

Last edited:
It depends on the memory available, the speed of the hard disk, the sped of the cpu, the graphic card, both memory and speed plus the individual assets.

Basically Trainz is real time so it runs the cpu at 100% on a single core machine doing a timed loop, it renders everything it can within the time.

Cheerio John

It depends on the memory available, the speed of the hard disk, the sped of the cpu, the graphic card, both memory and speed plus the individual assets.

Basically Trainz is real time so it runs the cpu at 100% on a single core machine doing a timed loop, it renders everything it can within the time.

Cheerio John
How fast is each time loop? and is there a way to adjust it?

How fast is each time loop? and is there a way to adjust it?

Its just the way real time type programs work in general. Do you sit there and wait for all the items in the view to appear or see how many you can display this cycle and add a few more next.

You have no control over this type of thing. Just up the cpu, add memory, etc.

Cheerio John

Its just the way real time type programs work in general. Do you sit there and wait for all the items in the view to appear or see how many you can display this cycle and add a few more next.

You have no control over this type of thing. Just up the cpu, add memory, etc.

Cheerio John
Alright, so how can I improve how many things appear in this time loop without effecting the detail of that area or changing the hardware in my computer?

Lower the amount of assets used?

Okay, thanks.

But to be honest, it's not really framrates that's a problem. It's just the rendering problem.

They are interrelated. If you spend a large fortune and run Trainz from an SSD the assets will arrive in view slightly quicker.

Put Trainz on a separate drive something like a Raptor will also improve things but not as much as putting everything on SSD. It is much more affordable though.

Cheerio John

I have same thing with tracks.

fsscr0111.jpg

With the track on the left, objects load normally.

but with the track on the right, this happens...

fsscr0121.jpg

What could cause this? I don't really want to use those tracks on left...

System: Intel Core 2 Duo E6750, Nvidia 8800GT 512MB, 3Gb of memory and trainz running from LaCie 750GB USB Hard drive.

Last edited:
I have same thing with tracks.

What could cause this? I don't really want to use those tracks on left...

System: Intel Core 2 Duo E6750, Nvidia 8800GT 512MB, 3Gb of memory and trainz running from LaCie 750GB USB Hard drive.

Use the on screen developer stats and see what the value and kuid for worst buffer count is. Needs IMO to be lower than 100 and unfortunately it's probably the track as there is not a lot else it could be, however............
Unless it's made to 2009 / 10 standards you should or may be able to improve things by adding the line "uncached_alphas 1" less the quotes anywhere in the config file.
My highest after a lot of fixing splines is around 60.

This from someone who honestly hasn't a clue, but it seems, from reading around here and the DLS, that something called polygon counts, 'poly counts' are an issue.
Apparently "low poly count" is better loading-speed-wise.

Last edited:
I'm wondering what's the limit of assets which can be rendered in the view of trainz.

I ask this because in this picture http://img715.imageshack.us/img715/5352/ben1337201006180000.jpg Has over 150 trees (of the same asset) in view and it renders all of them perfectly.
Note: I haven't placed all of the trees, so there are more to come.

If you place an item with the same kuid number many times (say over 150 times with the same tree as in your statement), this helps your PC's performance as only one item (this tree) needs to be loaded into memory (a generalized and simplistic statement, nevertheless it helps). Although you have placed this on your map over 150 times.

Yet, using 150 different trees to do the same thing places a far greater load on your PC's performance as these trees all have to be loaded into memory and rendered many times all at the same time. So it is with other assets one places into the scenery. What is the solution, say, with trees? Well, for a start, using the same tree over and over one can rotate its placement so these same trees look somewhat different as one sees these from different angles/perspectives. One can raise or lower the placement of the same tree too while again rotating this tree and hey presto, a forest of taller and younger, not so tall trees and somewhat different looking is created.

Only one of the solutions if this is throttling your PC's performance. It goes without saying, the display sliders in the options are another way to do similar. Most of the time one does not need the furthest view possible as your PC has to load and renter all these assets within this display radius. Similar with the other sliders plus often choosing the right assets to place into your scenery will help a lot too.

Just take tracks as an example, there are so many different types of these created which can be used but some of these tracks look very good but are real performance killers and can/should be substituted by others which are more performance friendly. As someone further above pointed out, use the statistic display option to see in Surveyor which assets are performing badly.

Use major assets in your scenery (engines, rolling stock, big buildings etc.) which have LODs implemented, as the further away this asset is displayed, the lesser its impact on performance is. Just some of the ways to improve your PC's performance without upgrading some components in it as stated further above.

Or buy yourself a Cray computer with no limits of performance and what to display :hehe:.

Cheers

VinnyBarb

If you place an item with the same kuid number many times (say over 150 times with the same tree as in your statement), this helps your PC's performance as only one item (this tree) needs to be loaded into memory (a generalized and simplistic statement, nevertheless it helps). Although you have placed this on your map over 150 times.

Yet, using 150 different trees to do the same thing places a far greater load on your PC's performance as these trees all have to be loaded into memory and rendered many times all at the same time. So it is with other assets one places into the scenery. What is the solution, say, with trees? Well, for a start, using the same tree over and over one can rotate its placement so these same trees look somewhat different as one sees these from different angles/perspectives. One can raise or lower the placement of the same tree too while again rotating this tree and hey presto, a forest of taller and younger, not so tall trees and somewhat different looking is created.
Hey, thanks for that explanation, it really cleared that up for me.:D

Back