export/import

tecwritr

These are probably answered someplace I've been away from Trainz for time now but want to get back into it with Trainz 2010. A couple questions:
  1. Is it still not possible to export a Trainz file to a 3ds or max file?
  2. I have 3d models of the Beechcraft T-6A/B/C and the AT-6C (I'm the Proposal Manager on the program) that I have created in 3ds format. Can I bring them into Trainz?
I really want to find a way to get my 3d T-6 models into some Trainz scenes.

Thanks in advance

These are probably answered someplace I've been away from Trainz for time now but want to get back into it with Trainz 2010. A couple questions:
  2. I have 3d models of the Beechcraft T-6A/B/C and the AT-6C (I'm the Proposal Manager on the program) that I have created in 3ds format. Can I bring them into Trainz?

Thanks in advance

1) It is "sort of" (im)possible to convert an .im or a .pm file to any other format. It is also usually frowned upon to "talk" about this subject here.

(Refer to this recent thread here): I was going to insert its link but I think for obvious reasons this thread got deleted as I can not find it. It had the answers to one of your question in it.

2) Yes, by all means this is possible providing the 3ds file gets imported into 3DS Max, I believe also into GMax and/or Blender as well and then be exported as a CDP after proper treatment re textures etc.and configuration into TRS/TS. I create with 3DS Max, I can do this importing as a 3ds file and use such file in my TRS/TS.

I am sure, GMax and Blender users/creators will fill you in with their experiences re 3ds files.

Have fun

VinnyBarb

Last edited:
Sorry, I didn't mean to step on anybodies toes with the export thing. Being able to bring the T-6 3ds files into Trainz is my primary need.

Thanks in advance

One thing to watch out for is models prepared originally for something else are probably to poly heavy for Trainz. Check the poly count before going too far with this.

Cheerio John

:wave: Hi tecwritr

In answer to
#2 I have 3d models of the Beechcraft T-6A/B/C and the AT-6C (I'm the Proposal Manager on the program) that I have created in 3ds format. Can I bring them into Trainz?

Yes you can import the 3DS file's in to Gmax or 3DS max,
BUT as John has stated
" One thing to watch out for is models prepared originally for something else are probably to poly heavy for Trainz. "
So a bit of playing about is needed as well as you will have to reapply the texture's in Gmax/3DS max before exporting them in to trainz.

Hope this helps :D

Poul

I have 3d models of the Beechcraft T-6A/B/C and the AT-6C (I'm the Proposal Manager on the program) that I have created in 3ds format. Can I bring them into Trainz?

As has already been stated, Yes, you may be able to export a 3ds file directly from 3dsMax in to trainz using the Auran supplied 3dsMax exporter but.... Here's the caviat, it depends on the version of 3dsMax. The latest versions of 3ds do not have an exporter (or at least not the last time I looked). If you do a forum search for 3ds exporter or Max exporter, you should find several threads that will direct you to the exporters and which versions are support by the exporter.

If you do not own a supported copy of Max, you will be able find information in the forums to convert a 3ds format into either Gmax or Blender. If you know Max really well, you will find Gmax easier to work with but I would recommend Blender instead for it's additional strengths such as rendering, and native normal mapping. Blender is difficult to use if you "think in Max" terms but if you are able to "unlearn" the Max techniques Blender would be most beneficial.

Good luck with your project

Bricey

Back