Looking for info on a strange "switch".

magickmaker

I'm looking for information on this type of track switch that I've only ever seen once or twice. Problem is I don't recall WHERE I saw pictures of it, or even where it was located. I do recall a good bit of information about it though, which I'll recount here.

This switch...well it wasn't really a switch, but we'll call it that. It was used by logging railroads on very steep grades. If you looked at the track head on, you'd see the normal rails, but at the bottom of the grade, you'd see rails pushing off to each side. Basically the running rails would be curved off to each side of the track, looking like a 3 way switch, but with the middle points removed. This type of switch was used to deal with a problem that arose when trains going down very steep grades, applied their brakes. It was not uncommon for the rails, which were only barely attached to begin with, to "slide" in their fishplates and ties. The pressure of the heavy train of logs causing them to move forward several feet at a time. Since this could cause the track to go out of gauge, the railroads hit upon this solution. As the trains came down the grade, it would apply its brakes. Should the rails slide, they were now allowed to do so, with the excess just going off to either side of the main track. Thus, no accident would happen. Once the train reached the bottom, a crew would go in and either cut or just remove the excess section of rail and then head back up to bolt it into place to fill whatever gap had been caused by the sliding.

The image I saw had a Shay coming down this grade, with the curious "switch" on either side of the track. Anyone know where I could have seen this, or the type of "switch" I'm talking about?

I'm looking for information on this type of track switch that I've only ever seen once or twice. Problem is I don't recall WHERE I saw pictures of it, or even where it was located. I do recall a good bit of information about it though, which I'll recount here.

This switch...well it wasn't really a switch, but we'll call it that. It was used by logging railroads on very steep grades. If you looked at the track head on, you'd see the normal rails, but at the bottom of the grade, you'd see rails pushing off to each side. Basically the running rails would be curved off to each side of the track, looking like a 3 way switch, but with the middle points removed. This type of switch was used to deal with a problem that arose when trains going down very steep grades, applied their brakes. It was not uncommon for the rails, which were only barely attached to begin with, to "slide" in their fishplates and ties. The pressure of the heavy train of logs causing them to move forward several feet at a time. Since this could cause the track to go out of gauge, the railroads hit upon this solution. As the trains came down the grade, it would apply its brakes. Should the rails slide, they were now allowed to do so, with the excess just going off to either side of the main track. Thus, no accident would happen. Once the train reached the bottom, a crew would go in and either cut or just remove the excess section of rail and then head back up to bolt it into place to fill whatever gap had been caused by the sliding.

The image I saw had a Shay coming down this grade, with the curious "switch" on either side of the track. Anyone know where I could have seen this, or the type of "switch" I'm talking about?

This wasn't a derailer was it to keep the train from running away?

John

You'd think that, but no. There wasn't much of a gap in the rail, and it went to both outside edges. I think it may have been at Cass Mountain, but I can't find pictures that back this up.

You'd think that, but no. There wasn't much of a gap in the rail, and it went to both outside edges. I think it may have been at Cass Mountain, but I can't find pictures that back this up.

I'll look around too, but I've never seen anything like this before unless it's a custom derailer of some kind. With old logging lines, they did whatever they could and made a lot of things out of scrap. This could be one of those situations.

John

We have those here in Denver on the Light Rail, always wondered what they were

And speaking of sun kinks, we get lots of those at work because the track is not gaped properly, some spots turn into slow zones during the summer because of the kinks

Is this what you are looking for?

casssenicrr011.jpg

Apparently it wasn't the Cass I saw the photos on, but yeah, that's the same principle. The ones I remember seeing in the photograph had been allowed to "slide" some great distance. Still, that's what I was thinking of, and on the grade there for the very reason I was thinking of it.

It sounds like Trainz wouldn't actually use that rail sliding function, but it sounds like you are describing an expansion joint. You could place sections of single rail spline or scenery railroad rail, to resemble the rails jutting out when they move.

http://irfca.org/~apub/beasts/sej.jpg

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...:en-us:IE-SearchBox&rlz=1I7PCTD_en&tbs=isch:1

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...E-SearchBox&rlz=1I7PCTD_en&ndsp=20&tbs=isch:1

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...:en-us:IE-SearchBox&rlz=1I7PCTD_en&tbs=isch:1

I don't think you are describing "Stub Switchs" which had no tapered "points" and the lead in track was switched 3 ways. http://gold.mylargescale.com/Scottychaos/On2layout/Phillipsyard.jpg

Are you talking about this: http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...:en-us:IE-SearchBox&rlz=1I7PCTD_en&tbs=isch:1

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...E-SearchBox&rlz=1I7PCTD_en&ndsp=20&tbs=isch:1

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...etsu.jpg/800px-DerailPoint_JRH-Chokubetsu.jpg

Last edited:
Great Photos

The "Lampy" photos to which CascadeRailroad linked are fantastic! I have a Flickr account, so I added him as a contact.

Calling it a switch is what I think is throwing people off. It's just the word I used to describe it. It's a variation on a breather "switch" from what I can tell, now just to find the actual original picture with description.

Did you ever have a hump yard that railcars just won't stop, and they continue running away out the yard throat escape ?

If you place BNSF50 Invisatrack on the derail track, and incline it to 1.00%, it will kick back runaway railcars, so they stay in the yard

You can even superimpose the BNSF50 Invisatrack, by sliding in in register over top of the escape track, or curve
800px-DerailPoint_JRH-Chokubetsu.jpg

Last edited:
Did you ever have a hump yard that railcars just won't stop, and they continue running away out the yard throat escape ?

If you place BNSF50 Invisatrack on the derail track, and incline it to 1.00%, it will kick back runaway railcars, so they stay in the yard

You can even superimpose the BNSF50 Invisatrack, by sliding in in register over top of the escape track, or curve

Or you can make the yard an actual 'bowl' shape, just like the prototype, and/or add trev999's Directional Speed Retarder, <KUID2:160293:100123:1>, located on the DLS, near the end of the yard track to bring the cars to a stop.

Tried that, but the retarder reverts back to the default setting "NO HALT" when you make a new session (and you have to reset them all over again) ... and even when set to: "HALT" it stops the railcars, then magically they resume sliding through the retarder after a short while

Tried making several dips (bowls) in the track ends, but they just keep moving back and forth eternally, until they run out of momentum

Last edited:
Tried that, but the retarder reverts back to the default setting "NO HALT" when you make a new session (and you have to reset them all over again) ... and even when set to: "HALT" it stops the railcars, then magically they resume sliding through the retarder after a short while

Tried making several dips (bowls) in the track ends, but they just keep moving back and forth eternally, until they run out of momentum

Not if you do it in Surveyor.

Back