Track Laying and Troubleshooting - A tutorial for new surveyors

Thanks again for your tutorial. Have you utilised the adjust ratio in track/marker/advanced? I find this works quite well.
Best, Sellick

Sellick--

That's very interesting. I did some experimenting with it, and found that if set the radius to 11m, I could get the train to stop fairly consistently with the nose of the loco right over the track mark. Cool. Thanks for the tip. It's nice to know we have that option.

---
Lucidor--

As to the non-working link, I wonder if the site might have been down briefly when you tried it, as the link in the first post worked fine for me when I tried it. You might also try http://trains.0catch.com to get to the Midwest Central page, then scroll down to the bottom to find the link to the tutorial.

New Tutorial Available

29 November

A new tutorial has been released. See the first post in this thread for details.

Had a quick look at some of your tutorial pages and must say, you have a clear and easy writing style.

In Part 11 - Installing and Using Trackside Cameras, you spend quite some time in trying to explain how to place overlapping cameras so that you can get a continuous view of a train as it passes by. Instead of all the calculations, angles and measurements, have you ever tried using two simple camera guides available on the DLS?

guide camera sphere KUID: 70337:23049
guide camera static KUID: 70337:23050

They give you a visual feedback of each type of camera's field of view making it quick and easy to know exactly when a specific camera will "see" a train and thus eliminating all guesswork in their placement. Also very handy when you want to place multiple cameras in a crowded area to avoid jarring changes in points of view when the wrong camera captures a train momentarily.

... Instead of all the calculations, angles and measurements, have you ever tried using two simple camera guides available on the DLS?

guide camera sphere KUID: 70337:23049
guide camera static KUID: 70337:23050

They give you a visual feedback of each type of camera's field of view making it quick and easy to know exactly when a specific camera will "see" a train and thus eliminating all guesswork in their placement....
Martin--

Many thanks for your post and your email. Good idea. I have revised and reposted the camera tutorial to include the tools you suggested.

In addition, I liked your email suggestion to use your 'Guide Angle' tool as an alternative using the ruler tool for keeping tracks straight. I have revised tutorial Part 9 as well.

Thanks for taking the time to have a look.

Chuck

The camera guide revision section looks good. Just one thing you might add is that the static guide can also be tilted so that when a camera is high up and looking down, the guide will show a more accurate field of view. The center aiming point should be aligned with the center of the camera's point of view.

As for the angle guide, if you hold down the Ctrl key while rotating the guide, the step will be in tenths of a degree, 10.0 to 10.1 to 10.2 etc.

Otherwise the instructions are very good. :)

Last edited:
Oh you are wonderful.
I have been away from trainz for a while and this is just what I need.

thank you sooooo much for the help.

I'll be back in business in no time. I haven't seen your tutorial yet but I will on lunch!!!!!
I'm hoping to re-get signaling and what industries go with what.

Thanks again.

Last edited:
Track Laying and Troubleshooting

Terrific tutorial, Chuck. If I had downloaded it three days ago and read the sections on how to use vertex height and the ruler, my first attempt at laying track would have been less of a "three-dimensional" experience. Thanks!

Art

WOW - Best info I have ever seen for Trainz - The new Trainz bible
I have printed out all the tutorials and bound them - excellent reference

Thankyou

Thanks for the tutorial indeed, I read it yesterday and is quite well done.

However, is there anywhere an explanation from Auran on why we still have to resort to "tricks" to create long straight tracks ?
I remember something like "right click, enter length" or "enter coordinate of spline point" was one of the big requests for TS2006, but as far as I understand still nothing.

Also of major concern is the creation of switches. Unless using pre-build switches, there is no way of creating prototypical ones just by moving splines, because it is almost impossible to place the spline point accurately.

Or did anything change and I just don't know it ?

Thanks, Marco.

Hi chuck I downloaded your tutor back in jan.2007 and printed it, now I, 'am tring to get the new updates it's wont download and i can't get it to print. Any sesgestions?

danny5

...is there anywhere an explanation from Auran on why we still have to resort to "tricks" to create long straight tracks ?
I remember something like "right click, enter length" or "enter coordinate of spline point" was one of the big requests for TS2006, but as far as I understand still nothing.

Also of major concern is the creation of switches. Unless using pre-build switches, there is no way of creating prototypical ones just by moving splines, because it is almost impossible to place the spline point accurately...
Marco--

Nothing has changed as far as I know, but you might try creating a new thread with the question and see if anyone responds.

On the long straight track, the problem is not so much about being able to build such a track as it is keeping the track straight once it's built. By the time you add sidetracks for industries, maybe a pass track and several road crossings, you have good potential to get your track out of line. That's why the ruler tool, or Martinvk's great Guide Angle, mentioned in the tutorial, are such a great help. Once you lay them on the map, they don't move, and you can make as many changes to the track as you wish and still have a reliable straight reference to keep things lined up. It's well worth the little bit of extra effort to place them.

Danny--

As for not being able to get the tutorials, they now require Adobe Acrobat Reader to view or print them out. When the tutorials were originally published, they were in HTML, but that's no longer the case. If you don't have it, you can get the reader from www.adobe.com. Look for the link to download it. It's about 35mb.

Chuck

Last edited:
New tutorial available

A new tutorial is now available. See the very first post in this thread for details.

Part 1
Switchstand Medium Cylinder
<KUID:63290:24041>

Part 12
Trigger Multiple Signals rule
<kuid2:116387:26:1>
by Maggs​

Cannot find either of these on the DLS

As Roy said, the switchstands are old content.

Perhaps why you didn't find it is the offical name is "Switchstand Medium Cylinder 1" (and 2 of course, for the other side of the track.)

I found it also by the kuid as well. Just type the numbers, without the "kuid".

---

Roy, as to the .pdf's, good idea. I'll get on it directly.

Thanks,

Chuck

Back