Preventing a Fatal Error

davesnow

Crabby Old Geezer
Here's what I have learned. . . .

1. Opening Trainz and loading (trying to load) a saved session that begins in an area where there are a lot of locos, rolling stock, or a big yard, etc. will often result in a Fatal Error. I always have a "Train Watcher" <kuid:213782:5050> located on a small piece of track, well away from any area where there are locos, rolling stock, or a big yard, etc.--- When I am done running a session, I always click on him and rest there for a few seconds before I save my session.

2. By the same token, the FIRST consist in my A.I. list is a "Train Watcher" <kuid:213782:5050> . Therefore, when I start a session, I Start as a "Train Watcher." I always have him placed on a small section of track, well away from any high poly areas. After the session loads, I wait a minute or two, then hit the "4" key and "roam" around my map until I find the loco I want to drive. I then can click on the loco and begin my session.

Sometimes I get a Fatal Error when I click on a loco in my "Drivers" list. If the loco is parked in a High Poly area, it's possible to get a Fatal Error by just clicking on a loco in your Drivers list.

3. You can also get a Fatal Error when loading a Surveyor route if, like I said before, you are loading a saved route that begins in an area where there are a lot of locos, rolling stock, or a big yard, etc. Any time I am finished working on my Surveyor Route, I move well away from any high poly areas before I save my route. I usually move to the edge of a board and place a single tree there, then Save my surveyor route. When I am ready to work on it again, when I load it up, I'll start there at that tree. I can then move on to the area where I wish to begin working on my route again. (It's a good idea to move slowly.)

TRAINZ is a wonderful simulator. But it's sensitive to sudden or quick movements around the boards. So just take things slow and easy to avoid those fatal errors --- or even NON-fatal errors.

4. Sometimes you can get a Fatal Error when using a loco or piece of rolling stock that you have re-skinned. Always test these out on a Test Route first.

These are just some things I have learned when using Trainz. BTW, I get Fatal Errors on TRS2006--- have yet to get any on TS2010..

Happy Trainzing everyone!:)

Dave

Last edited:
Here's what I have learned. . . .

1. Opening Trainz and loading (trying to load) a saved session that begins in an area where there are a lot of locos, rolling stock, or a big yard, etc. will often result in a Fatal Error. I always have a "Train Watcher" <kuid:213782:5050> located on a small piece of track, well away from any area where there are locos, rolling stock, or a big yard, etc.--- When I am done running a session, I always click on him and rest there for a few seconds before I save my session.

2. By the same token, the FIRST consist in my A.I. list is a "Train Watcher" <kuid:213782:5050> . Therefore, when I start a session, I Start as a "Train Watcher." I always have him placed on a small section of track, well away from any high poly areas. After the session loads, I wait a minute or two, then hit the "4" key and "roam" around my map until I find the loco I want to drive. I then can click on the loco and begin my session.

Sometimes I get a Fatal Error when I click on a loco in my "Drivers" list. If the loco is parked in a High Poly area, it's possible to get a Fatal Error by just clicking on a loco in your Drivers list.

3. You can also get a Fatal Error when loading a Surveyor route if, like I said before, you are loading a saved route that begins in an area where there are a lot of locos, rolling stock, or a big yard, etc. Any time I am finished working on my Surveyor Route, I move well away from any high poly areas before I save my route. I usually move to the edge of a board and place a single tree there, then Save my surveyor route. When I am ready to work on it again, when I load it up, I'll start there at that tree. I can then move on to the area where I wish to begin working on my route again. (It's a good idea to move slowly.)

TRAINZ is a wonderful simulator. But it's sensitive to sudden or quick movements around the boards. So just take things slow and easy to avoid those fatal errors --- or even NON-fatal errors.

4. Sometimes you can get a Fatal Error when using a loco or piece of rolling stock that you have re-skinned. Always test these out on a Test Route first.

These are just some things I have learned when using Trainz. BTW, I use both 2006 and 2010.

Happy Trainzing everyone!:)

Dave

Dave,

Older versions of Trainz also didn't like a lot of content either, and I've had TRS2004 crash when going into built-up places with lots of stuff and trains in the yard. My cause was a bad memory stick.

So check your RAM. You may have a bad DIMM, which can cause errors such as this.

John

Help

I have trainz classics. I get a fatal error message once and a while. It is so annoying. My laptop is a dell inspiron 1545 with vista home premium. It had 250 gb and now 132. It has intel pentium. This laptop is great. No crashes yet and i had it for almost 2 years. Can somebody please help.:(

I have trainz classics. I get a fatal error message once and a while. It is so annoying. My laptop is a dell inspiron 1545 with vista home premium. It had 250 gb and now 132. It has intel pentium. This laptop is great. No crashes yet and i had it for almost 2 years. Can somebody please help.:(

What are you doing when the fatal error occurs?

It had 250GB and now 132? Your disk space, is at about 50%, which can be a concern when running programs such as Trainz. The OS plus the program need room to breath, so to speak. See if you can clean up som unnecessary programs from your system.

John

trainz

My mistake, my laptop came with 250 gigabites but it had to download and install certain programs and files in order for it to run completely so basically when i first got it, it had 218 gigabites. Now I have 126 gigabites which is means there is 62% of free space left. I have not really been downloading things from other sites. The stuff that i downloaded such as wavepad sound editor and games, i deleted which I thought was good;) . It brought me back up to 132 gigabites. My laptop is getting a pc tuneup in 2 days because it has been starting up fast and slow and Norton advises it. I think it would be a good idea so my laptop will be at staples( vacation) for a couple of days. I am trying to free up space by also deleting routes and sessions that i am no longer working on but I must be careful because i deleted something important for trainz, but luckily i got it back. I am using trainz classics right now and i read in another thread that most fatal errors pop up with direct x so i switched back to Open GL. I am currently building the whole metro north railroad with the new haven line, hudson line, and it will all be connected with the default harlem line. Usually when i am in surveyor doing a test drive, the fatal error will pop up. It is freeking annoying and i am now thinking second thoughts about classics. I am thinking about going back to trainz service pack 1 which has given me no problems at all this summer and is running smooth.:). Can anyone please help. I do not want to delete anymore and i will not be downloading and building as much because i know my laptop needs a break. I am on trainz about 10 hours a day and i had the laptop for about 15 months. Once school starts in September, I cannot play trainz on the weekdays, only weekends and holidays so my laptop will be happy:D . Back to the topic. The Metro North Railroad is a major project and something in the route is causing the fatal error. Is there a way I can find out what is causing it without deleting and uninstalling the game.

My mistake, my laptop came with 250 gigabites but it had to download and install certain programs and files in order for it to run completely so basically when i first got it, it had 218 gigabites. Now I have 126 gigabites which is means there is 62% of free space left. I have not really been downloading things from other sites. The stuff that i downloaded such as wavepad sound editor and games, i deleted which I thought was good;) . It brought me back up to 132 gigabites. My laptop is getting a pc tuneup in 2 days because it has been starting up fast and slow and Norton advises it. I think it would be a good idea so my laptop will be at staples( vacation) for a couple of days. I am trying to free up space by also deleting routes and sessions that i am no longer working on but I must be careful because i deleted something important for trainz, but luckily i got it back. I am using trainz classics right now and i read in another thread that most fatal errors pop up with direct x so i switched back to Open GL. I am currently building the whole metro north railroad with the new haven line, hudson line, and it will all be connected with the default harlem line. Usually when i am in surveyor doing a test drive, the fatal error will pop up. It is freeking annoying and i am now thinking second thoughts about classics. I am thinking about going back to trainz service pack 1 which has given me no problems at all this summer and is running smooth.:). Can anyone please help. I do not want to delete anymore and i will not be downloading and building as much because i know my laptop needs a break. I am on trainz about 10 hours a day and i had the laptop for about 15 months. Once school starts in September, I cannot play trainz on the weekdays, only weekends and holidays so my laptop will be happy:D . Back to the topic. The Metro North Railroad is a major project and something in the route is causing the fatal error. Is there a way I can find out what is causing it without deleting and uninstalling the game.

YES. Run your route through the faulty assets filter in CMP. I will bet more than one shows up. Once you find them you can either repair, replace or delete/disable. NOTE: You cannot delete built in assets. Also check it for missing assets. By deleting some routes/sessions, you may have unknowingly deleted assets used for your active route.

Good Luck, tomurban

Last edited:
Out of the 482 assets in the route,there were seven assets that appeared to be faulty and 1 that was missing. Do you know a basic way of repairing faulty assets. Can you give it to me step by step because that is the only way I will understand. As of now, I am trying to find replacements for the faulty assets.Right now, I am not adding anything. I am getting a new external hardrive that has 320-500 gigabites and it is only for trainz and the intenet so I could download addons and other contet. The project should be continuing around near Christmas.

Out of the 482 assets in the route,there were seven assets that appeared to be faulty and 1 that was missing. Do you know a basic way of repairing faulty assets. Can you give it to me step by step because that is the only way I will understand. As of now, I am trying to find replacements for the faulty assets.Right now, I am not adding anything. I am getting a new external hardrive that has 320-500 gigabites and it is only for trainz and the intenet so I could download addons and other contet. The project should be continuing around near Christmas.

In many cases, the errors are due to missing textures that are referenced in the texture.txt files, typographical errors in the config files, and incorrectly sized textures.

John

I had a fatal error trying to patch my trainz 2010.. now i need to redownload and reinstall.. .. :(

USER ID 524361

Last edited:
trainz classics 1

I have deleted everything included my route going up to wassaic. I am so sad because that took so much time. Well now, my computer has some room to breathe so that is a good thing. It should be starting up faster now since all my custom content and routes are gone. I reinstalled the game and i drove a shoreliner and genesis going from white plains-crestwood. Once I exit out the game, i get a fatal error and it said something about access violation. I do not know what it means. I checked the cmp and there are no fatal errors in the game just yet. By the way, if there is a way to fix fatal errors, can you help me. I need a simple step by step run through on how to do it though.

Back