I just scratch built my first asset!

SantaFebuff

That's So Trainz Forum
Scratch built? Yes, well, kinda. I took what I know. I look at Z Sky 1, copied it's config to a blank .txt file. Then I modifed it's KUID for my username, and fixed parts that I would usually do in the CCP. (Content Creator Plus) I did this "by hand" meaning I created my own configuration file by copy and paste, and retyping most of it. Then I found my own image of a blue sky online. Saved it, and made the three necessary .TGA files all edited for their purpose. Storm, Regular, and Night. Then, I copied and modified all the .texture.txt files. I copied them, and changed the file name. Then saved them. I then added the originally downloaded JPEG as it's thumbnail image. After doing that, I pushed it all into a folder. When renaming it, I copy-pasted the name of the asset under "username" as the folder's name. I got into the CMP and imported the folder as a KUID with no problems at all! No errors or anything. I found it in Trainz, but there appears to be a faulty texture Trainz won't tell me about. I saw upon import it changed the JLB in my file names to jlb. I changed all that, and still, no help. The fact I got it to import the KUID on the config.txt and not have any problems with it besides simple textures is amazing! I could never even dream of this! I just built my own asset! It's FUN!

So, who wants to help me get it working? I'll tell you everything you need to know.

Cheers,
Joshua

Josh,

Congratulations on your first asset!

Very quick help here. I'm not good at this either, but my feeling is you've got a TGA file that's not saved properly. Ensure that the TGA files are saved uncompressed. By default it seems, some programs will do this automatically so no matter how many times you save a file the other way, it'll default to compressed so you'll easily miss the check box.

I hope this helps.

John

Another newbie

Well done from another newbie. You have had a go and that's great - and yes, it is fun just as you say.
But at the same time it can be frustrating, as I have found.
As said, be sure your targa file is uncompressed, there should be an Options box somewhere on screen as you go to save the texture.
And size, remember that targas need to be to the power of 2. I was experimenting yesterday with file sizes and there is a limit, so best keep them within bounds as well.
Keep going, don't give up, there's a whole world out there....

Angela

Well, I have been making things for awhile. I've made about over 15 good sounding hornsounds, 3 routes, reskins of trailers, and I'm experimenting with a track sound. So, it's nothing new, but the fact I put together a raw folder and imported it, is why I'm happy. It's just fun to see something you made, something that looks so un-Trainz, become a full-plead Trainz asset.

Don't worry, I made sure the TGAs where RCL Uncompressed! That's a simple step, I need to know if the .texture.txt files have a directory fault or something in that area. They refer to the TGA, and I wonder if they are needed at all as the config.txt refers directly to them.

Cheers,
Joshua

Sorry, but how could I post a new question in the forum

I hope to post a new question here, but I couldn't find the place to post? So I reply this to inquire about this. THanks

Oh sure, are you new to forums? It's all about classification. What is your question about?

You have to look at what your asking, and then read the description of all forums and decided which one to post a new topic (or thread) in. Once you find the perfect one, click on the "Post Topic" button above the thread listings. Then, just fire away your question.

If your nervous, you can ask here. Just be warned that mos would not like you changing the subject and discussing off-topic things for each thread. Since I love to help people and don't mind helping someone with Trainz out as much as I can, go ahead and post it here. We probably weren't going very far as it was anyway.

Cheers,
Joshua

Back