Trying to decide between '09 and '10. Issues with each version?

i have used both and have found that right out of the box 2010 has less issues then 2009, so id recomend ts2010

Well, I have have had (or did) 09. It work pritty well for me. Not many problems. Mine worked well right outa the box.

G’Day Transportfan, It is not easy telling someone what is the best, as each has it’s own merits. For me one of the biggest issues with TS2010 is the obsoleting of some trees and track in the imported routes with speed trees and some other sort of track. You are given no choice unless you want to go in and re-edit the route, to me this is an insult to the route creator and the user, THEY SHOULD HAVE THE CHOICE.
I have UTC, TS2004, TS2006, S&C and TS2010 and to be honest my young son and I gain the most fun and enjoyment out of UTC, to me the further up the ladder you go the more complicated it gets and you near need a uni degree to do much in TS2010.
This is how I feel, I know there are a few out there who would scoff at me for even mentioning UTC but I DON’T CARE, we love it.
Regards
[FONT=&quot]Barrie[/FONT]

Why buy 09 when the latest version is 2010? I gave 09 a miss owing to having bad press.. but I am quite satisfied with 2010.. it runs well on my computer...
Fennis

to me the further up the ladder you go the more complicated it gets and you near need a uni degree to do much in TS2010.
Good point Barrie,I fell the same except i have 06.Keen to see what version folks think is best here as i might be moving up the ladder myself sooner rather then later.
Cheers Mick.:D

In addition to the comments posted above, in my opinion most off the differences between TRS 2009 and TRS2010 are gimmicks in nature.

The Interface in 2010 is totally different but is easily assimilated by most users.

Routes which leads to survetor at first only presents 5 routes which is misleading. Clicking the Gold Star reveals the rest of the included layouts

Service Packs. each have several service packs. Many have complained about download and installation problems with both versions

Content in 2010 so far is limited possibly creating problems with "native" mode

Layers is a new feature that seems to appeal to the more technically inclined. Others, myself included find layers complicated to use and of little value for their own purposes. Unfortunatelythey cannot be turnrd off, so unless things change in future releases could mean the end of my purchases of Trainz releases.

From an operating point of view I find both to give the same level of performance on my computer.

Hope this helps.

Good point Barrie,I fell the same except i have 06.Keen to see what version folks think is best here as i might be moving up the ladder myself sooner rather then later.
G'Day Mick, although I have TS2010 I have just purchased TS2009 to get away from the issues I pointed out. If Trainz continues with this not giving the option and just shoving in what they think is great then this is where the buck ($) stop.
Regards
Barrie

I have 2010 and I have yet to play it, reason being I have not had enough time to to fix the problems with it. They both require quite a bit of effort to straighten out.

I have had 2010 for three weeks now. I had no problems installing it and have had no problems playing it. Surveyor is a little different, but I adapted to it quite well. The speedtreez IMHO are a good addition, but I could live without them. When you are sitting in a locomotive going down the tracks (or even driving a car) it's hard to tell if the wind is blowing trees.

G’Day Transportfan, It is not easy telling someone what is the best, as each has it’s own merits. For me one of the biggest issues with TS2010 is the obsoleting of some trees and track in the imported routes with speed trees and some other sort of track. You are given no choice unless you want to go in and re-edit the route, to me this is an insult to the route creator and the user, THEY SHOULD HAVE THE CHOICE.

This is one of the reasons I'm afraid of 2010. I certainly don't want to manually relay all my track. Also, I make all my scenery items as build 1.5 as I remember that it is/was the build compatible with all versions but think that '10 has compatibility issues with older-type content.

Routes which leads to survetor at first only presents 5 routes which is misleading. Clicking the Gold Star reveals the rest of the included layouts

Happyj:
You have no idea how much this comment helped me. I have been running 2010 for several months and suddenly it decided to do a fix. When it was done I had only a few routes on the route section and I thought I was going to have to uninstall and reinstall until I read your comment.
You were not trying to help me out but you did. Thanks
Gary

BTW: I think 2010 is the way to go because Auran will be giving full support to it. I too liked UTC and 2004 but they have gone by the wayside.

This is one of the reasons I'm afraid of 2010. I certainly don't want to manually relay all my track. Also, I make all my scenery items as build 1.5 as I remember that it is/was the build compatible with all versions but think that '10 has compatibility issues with older-type content.

Track can be replaced with a couple of mouse clicks. The Asset Replacing function is pretty cool.

Kinda pointless to buy 2009 when 2010 is the latest, and will be supported for longer. And I have no issues with 2010, at all, nothing which isn't my fault anyway :)

Good idea for a thread Transportfan,And i hope folk's keep replying as i think its a big move for me to go from 06 up to 10 and then see if i can still build content for it.Thanks for the replies so far folk's.

Not so pointless if most older content may not work with it. Read post#2.

BTW, can I still use the older non-Speedtree trees with it in case I have problems?

You can in compatability mode.

Each user tends to report differently about performance, frame rates and what works vs what doesn't. PC/Graphic Card specs and operating system versions play their part as well.

I use TS2010, and I can use native mode fairly well on the provision there are no speedtrees involved. Native mode and speedtrees kills my PC, and makes the whole thing pointless. I've opted to use compatability mode for now, with the use of older non-speedtrees, and it all runs fantastically well.

I tried using TS2010 but performance issues (possibly Speedtree related) sent me back to TS2009.

According to the Auran support document that received much debate recently, TS2009 is fully supported until 2014 which is more than enough time until I catch up my laptop to run TS2010 or whatever the latest version is.

Most of the content in TS2010 is in TS2009 apart from the ECML, certainly more than enough to cover my areas of interest.

I run TS2010 in Native Mode and most older content works fine.

Fixing errors in 95% of faulty content is also easy enough, using the excellent PEV Tools.

Neither do SpeedTrees compromise my performance.

I have TS2009, but never use it, it's not installed.

IKB.

Like IKB I run TS2010 in Native Mode. Most of the older content works fine especially after fixing the errors. PEVs Tools makes the process painless. What content that couldn't be fixed, I deleted.

The program runs quite well on a modern system, and now that I've been home from college I've been using TS2010 for probably 10 hours per day, at least 6 days per week. (I'm not addicted am I?). During the course of the day, I bounce between Surveyor and Driver while I've been working on my route all without system freeze-ups or real weirdness or bad stuttering.

I have discovered that I need fewer Speed Treez in clusters than I did of the older-style trees to achieve the same effect for tree coverage. Their larger size makes up for the lack of foliage coverage. I've also removed the Speed Tree Groups, and replaced them with similar clusters of individual objects. When my route converted to TS2010 from TS2009, groups of trees were replaced by the SpeedTree Groups. These things seem to be resource hogs, and the difference has been like night and day after pulling them up.

Now remember this is a route that was started back in late 2004/early 2005 and has grown and morphed to what I have today. I have noticed that newer sections built in TS2010 are much smoother graphically and operationally than those older sections worked on in the older versions. There are probably still lots of legacy objects, which I think are causing problems as well.

Anyway I have plans in the works to build a 100% TS2010 route (Don't hold your breath for any length of time here), which will be started in TS2010 and make use of error free content off of the DLS not fixed by me. I'm curious if the performance will be even better than I am seeing now.

John

Back