Thread: Dem data vs Google Earth

Default Dem data vs Google Earth

Hi all

Having got quite far with my route bassed in and around Seattle I found some Dem data and decided to have a go at 'demming' the area. Before I found the Dem data and installed Microdem (and plucked up the currage to give it a go, whish I'd done it ages a go as it's very easy to use.) I was using Google earth to give me an idea of the land elevations.

My problem is this when I checked the hights of the Dem data the hill on Duwamish Head (Sidings start on the north side of the hill then curve round to a container depot on the east of the hill) the hight of the hill is around 35 - 40 meters but google earth has the hight at 100 - 110 meters quite a noticeable difference in trainz, which is right? (I'm wondering if the hight is in feet but Google didn't think to change the word from meters to feet).

All help to untangle my brain is much appreiciated.

Thanks all

Andy

Quote Originally Posted by bassist118 View Post
    Hi all

Having got quite far with my route bassed in and around Seattle I found some Dem data and decided to have a go at 'demming' the area. Before I found the Dem data and installed Microdem (and plucked up the currage to give it a go, whish I'd done it ages a go as it's very easy to use.) I was using Google earth to give me an idea of the land elevations.

My problem is this when I checked the hights of the Dem data the hill on Duwamish Head (Sidings start on the north side of the hill then curve round to a container depot on the east of the hill) the hight of the hill is around 35 - 40 meters but google earth has the hight at 100 - 110 meters quite a noticeable difference in trainz, which is right? (I'm wondering if the hight is in feet but Google didn't think to change the word from meters to feet).

All help to untangle my brain is much appreiciated.

Thanks all

Andy
    I have a feeling you did the feet to metre conversion in Microdem, the latest version does not require you to do it as it's already converted. If you convert you get low elevations..... The tutorial on Microdem needs updating a bit.
    Malc

Thanks for the quick response, I think ypu've hit the nail on the head as to whats happend.

Andy

Just noticed that it does tell you the hight is in meters in the map info page in Microden, teach me not to look proporly.
    Last edited by bassist118; May 21st, 2010 at 01:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bassist118 View Post
    Thanks for the quick response, I think ypu've hit the nail on the head as to whats happend.

Andy

Just noticed that it does tell you the hight is in meters in the map info page in Microden, teach me not to look proporly.

You wouldn't be the first, happened to me first time I used it.
    Malc