Ffestiniog and Welsh Highland WIP

Route is just about done, however I still have now around 240 items made before TS12 that need to be brought up to current standards and uploaded. 99% of what I upload to the DLS is required in the route.

I will be uploading 2 versions, one for TS12 and one for T:ANE reason being that my Trees for TS12 do not work very well in T:ANE, T:ANE versions are already on the DLS but probably easier if I change them here rather than expect anyone using the route in T:ANE to replace each tree with it's T:ANE version. May do a speedtree TANE version as well.

Edit: Update, now down to 140 items to sort out and upload.

Last edited:
Great to see that your project is still progressing very well Malc, particularly as you have been so busy making hundreds of custom assets for it. Thanks a lot for them all!

Wow - I can't believe that this is finally hitting completion, it's been an ongoing project since the days when I was around these parts! I jumped over to OMSI a while back, but I might have to find myself a copy of Trainz just to finally have a go with this map. I was riding on the Welsh Highland just this summer, so it'll be good to see how it compares :)

Anyway, best of luck with the final phases of the map!

Last edited:
And when combined with Ed's FR content and WHR Garratts, Clam1952s WHR carriages, Mountaineer, and Lyd, the Trainzone FR and WHR content updated by kevmt, and Patrick Booth's new FR/WHR content (IE Upnor/Conway Castle, Moel Hebog, Castell Caernarfron, Ashover, the NG15 locomotives, new versions of Carriage 37/38 and Carriage 122 etc), we will have achieved the ultimate FR/WHR experience. I'll even see if I can run a train from Caernarfron to Blaenau Ffestiniog using WHR carriages (it would have to be E-Set, though, because F-Set has Carriage 2060, the one from Romania that's too tall for the FR loading gauge, as for the other carriages, they seem to be as tall as Carriage 122).

And when combined with Ed's FR content and WHR Garratts, Clam1952s WHR carriages, Mountaineer, and Lyd, the Trainzone FR and WHR content updated by kevmt, and Patrick Booth's new FR/WHR content (IE Upnor/Conway Castle, Moel Hebog, Castell Caernarfron, Ashover, the NG15 locomotives, new versions of Carriage 37/38 and Carriage 122 etc), we will have achieved the ultimate FR/WHR experience. I'll even see if I can run a train from Caernarfron to Blaenau Ffestiniog using WHR carriages (it would have to be E-Set, though, because F-Set has Carriage 2060, the one from Romania that's too tall for the FR loading gauge, as for the other carriages, they seem to be as tall as Carriage 122).

It might be the first real world railway modelled for Trainz in full, all track and stock present!

I believe it's width rather than height (well, both, actually) which is the problem - when they tried to cut Russell down to the FR loading gauge they scraped all of the paint off the side tanks in the tunnels... You'd probably be better off running FR stock over the WHR :)

I'm pretty sure the main restricting factor for WHR coaches on the FR is that the eaves would hit the portals of Garnedd tunnel. Otherwise the dimensions aren't that different to the superbarns. Seeing all this progress suggests I really ought to get on with finishing of my signal models and uploading them to the DLS!

For those who may be interested, the signals for Harbour Station are now available to download from the DLS. Malc: You should delete and redownload these from the DLS as the uploaded versions have a number of mesh improvements from the initial versions I sent you.

For those who may be interested, the signals for Harbour Station are now available to download from the DLS. Malc: You should delete and redownload these from the DLS as the uploaded versions have a number of mesh improvements from the initial versions I sent you.

Thanks Ed, getting pretty close now, just issue with lod on things like TYB's footbridges, just looks crap no matter what I try think I'm going to accept the 500 poly warning and be done with it.

Just spent the day redoing Penrhyn Station, one of the first things I made back in 2008 so loads of texture files and some chronic meshes! came in at 3500 polys, v2 is 488 which is bit more reasonable!

Getting very very close guys just waiting on the DLS to approve the final updates to a few assets then it should be ready to go.........

Edit: As is also a T:ANE version with SpeedTrees.

And

A bonus T:ANE route that started as a test route and sort of grew, Freelance Welsh NG route.

Last edited:
OK here we go

Just the route no sessions yet.
No active stations as was near on impossible to get them to fit on platforms on gradients and they are screwed in T:ANE anyway so navigation by Track marks. Blaenau Ffestiniog is up Caernarfon is down, right hand running so for AI use due to the track layout at Minffordd you need to navigate or drive via the trackmarks rest have direction markers, suitable placed so you can run round etc.

It runs well in T:ANE however the trees look crap so I'm currently replacing them in T:ANE, mostly with speedtrees which will be a separate release.

It's Waiting DLS Approval or on Mediafire http://www.mediafire.com/download/1457yldboudvuya/Ffestiniog_&_Welsh_Highland_2014_TS12_v1.cdp

I'm not claiming 100% accuracy by the way owing to the abysmal accuracy of the DEM, done in Hog 7 years ago I had to do a lot of DEM carving plus make some creative adjustments to avoid having to plough through the sides of a mountains or end up with 300 foot embankments in mid air!

Have fun

Malc

Downloading now, can't wait to try it! I've just started on model of Bodysgallen, I thought your route could benefit from some WHR first class stock.

May find three missing dependencies according to N3V! ignore them they are not important. A bit of invisible track I forgot about and should have removed an animated figure, can't even find where it was and a bucket, again no idea where that was either.

Back