Is TRS2010 worth it?

Is TRS2010 worth another expense?

Only you can judge that based on your financial position. In Australia, the price of TS2010 is equivalent to most of a tank of petrol.

If you are after an opinion, then having worked with TS2010 since it was launched, in my opinion and experience, it is well worth buying. It is much better than TRS2006 and still better than TS2009. I have worked with both.

Peter

Consider that (at least in the U.S.) it costs as much as four movie tickets, two minor-league baseball tickets, or not even one ticket to a professional sports even, yet Trainz can give you thousands upon thousands of hours of enjoyment, not just two or three.

Only you can judge that based on your financial position. In Australia, the price of TS2010 is equivalent to most of a tank of petrol.

If you are after an opinion, then having worked with TS2010 since it was launched, in my opinion and experience, it is well worth buying. It is much better than TRS2006 and still better than TS2009. I have worked with both.

Peter

I agree with Peter wholeheartedly. In South Africa it's cheaper than a tank of unleaded :D
I went from 2006 to 2010 too, i love it... addicted to it now. But like they said, it's objective and your own choice, at the end, you can make anything work for you.

I got my copy in the mail several months ago, plugged it once. It locked up my computer so badly I had to use the power swith to get it back. Have not tried it since. Don't like doing that to my Dell XPS Quad core screamin' machine.

I have TRS2004 and 2006 and believe me I will never abandon TS2010 to go back to either of them. TS2010 is a dream compared to the other two. I love it.

Harold

Although at first glance there seem to be few differences between 2010 and the older versions (I skipped 2009 so I don't know how it compares.) but there are many little things I am finding in which 2010 shines above it predecessors.

There are also the not so little things that make a huge difference, like draw distance, performance increases in native mode, layers in surveyor. All of which are huge improvements over previous versions, 2006, TC3, etc....

Some have criticized the franchise in general for re-using a lot of things, the engine in particular, but for all that Trainz 2010 feels more solid, more polished than any previous version I've used.

Granted, there are always growing pains, speed trees is a good example. Right now I am torn, generally they look much worse, more "cartoony" than the many high quality billboard trees available so I avoid them. But some of them look quite good, and the fact that they are fully 3D, react to seasonal changes, etc... makes the possibilities far greater than the old style trees. Give the content creation community some time, they will no doubt eventually eclipse the old trees easily and become the new standard.

Overall Trainz 2010 feels more polished, than ever before. In the higher quality native routes, like the York to Kings Cross HST, or high quality DLS routes like the Clovis Sub updated to full native mode compatibility, Trainz 2010 looks every bit as good as Rail Simulator, and still has all the features which set it apart from it's competitors like industry and operational aspects.

It is winning the community over, I think, deservedly so. Check the screenshots thread, there are some amazingly good looking routes in development for 2010.

I have bought all the Auran released versions, except classics 1 & 2.

Going back to december 2001.

TS2010, for me personally is the best release of Trainz to date.

IKB.

Back