Rally to save the heavy rail into Newcastle (Aust.) CBD

Red_Rattler

Since 09 May 2003
To those that able, do you want to save a heavy rail into a CBD, then see the following images?

< DELETED IMAGES >

It is to save the heavy rail line into Newcastle Station (Australia) by building pedestrian crossings to allow more access points into Newcastle's CBD.
GPT (a developer) today have again said to the state government "Cut the rail line OR WE WILL SCRAP our development plans, and we will make sure that the site will not be able to be developed again.", or words to that effect.

While I do not agree with converting any part of the Newcastle to Broadmeadow rail line to a light rail, but GPT has stated that they want the rail line removed totally. And as shown by one of GPT's videos, many believe the reason why is that GPT want the rail land to build on, as a land grab. And the views from that train line give weight to why they want the rail land, as it to developers, it is valuable real estate. And another development by GPT also gives weight to this.

The block that GPT own is about a block away from the rail line, but they still want the rail line removed. If you go to this Google Map Link here, their block is bounded by Hunter St on the north, Newcomen St on the east, King St on the south & Perkins St on the west. Do some street views here & see why (even without the street view shows why)

This newspaper (look for the two articles that start with GPT dated 20/04/2010) is quite strong on their campaign to remove the rail line. I have recently noticed that when this issue crops up, that the moderators don't approve and post comments the order the comments are received in. Quite often the comments that support removing the rail line are added first, followed by those that support keeping the rail line, even though the post time of that comment proves that it was received first.

Last edited:
Hobby shop that sells model trains supports removng the rail line

Related topic
http://www.theherald.com.au/news/lo...er-street-shop-owner-colin-scott/1808221.aspx
This is the manager of the hobby shop mentioned. He sells model trains (along with other models), yet he is one the main contenders of trying to get the rail line removed.

If he supports removal, then in MY OPINION, shouldn't he remove the rail stuff that his shop sells?

Another related topic
http://www.theherald.com.au/news/lo...ether-to-cut-newcastle-rail-line/1808222.aspx

Just a note with that media, please be aware that they have a campaign of trying to get the rail line removed, so quite often it may sound one-sided

Last edited:
It's rather typical for media like newspapers to work against the public's interest. Here in the U.S., it's pretty reliable. Just keep fighting the good fight. Write letters-to-the-editor, op-eds, attend meetings, maybe even start a grassroots organization. Bring friends to the meetings and encourage others to write LTEs too. Nothing scares the living <blank> out of politicians than people who can demonstrate that they know how to organize.

I'm don't know much about Australian politics, but PM me if you want to pick my brain.

It amuses me to hear them saying they want to get people into the city, but give permission to build large shopping centres in the suburbs.

I for one hardly ever go into the city as we have a shopping centre 2kms away where I can get just about anything I need. No parking meters either.

Have they considered that if the rail line is closed, and people get a taste of having to change from train to bus to get there, may decide not to go through the hassle again. This would mean a loss of business as the only people in the city would be office workers.

Doen't sound like a good plan to entice people into the city for the new planned building by taking away one of the main transport systems.

My wife and myself were actually in there today and cannot see anything that would beckon me back in there again. Empty buildings/shops everywhere.

The light rail option is no better as people would still have to change modes of transport. Plus it does not get rid of the rail corridor anyway. And putting more buses on the roads will not help traffic flow either.

OK, I've had my rant. You might say I am biased as I was a train driver for 41 years in this area.

Dennis

Have they considered that if the rail line is closed and people get a taste of having to change from train to bus to get there, may decide not to go through the hassle again.
Re recent trackwork between Newcastle & Broadmeadow, and at the moment, the trackwork stops at Wickhmam (hmmm!) And what happens to the road traffic when trains are replaced by buses (& The Herald seems to refuse to show any congestion road, except when so called congestion occurs at level crossings.)

My wife and myself were actually in there today and cannot see anything that would beckon me back in there again. Empty buildings/shops everywhere.
You say empty buildings/shops everywhere. DeRiCo, take a look at this street view & this street view & count the number of empty shops. 3 out of those 5 shops (ie: 60%) So it's a higher percentage than Newcastle CBD.

While not my own country, I feel your pain. Here in SA our corrupt govt just loves to destroy anything to develop on, money always wins :(
I see endangered areas being sold to asphalt quarries, and they literally dig out mountains... it's sad, and now your rail, wish I could move to Aus just to support that :'(

Hi red rattler.

My referal to shops was Newcastle compared to Garden City shopping centre. Some of those smaller centres you show are having problems too because of the large centres.

The large shopping centres usually have no empty shops, plus Kotara is even expanding out behind Domayne.

There is not much in town that I cannot get here.

My point was that they have created their own problems by allowing large shopping centres in the suburbs while the CBD stagnates.

I remember back in the 50's walking Hunter Street with my mother amongst many other people doing the same thing. A visit to the old Tattler theatre to rest the feet was the highlight of the shopping trip.

I do support keeping the line to the CBD. What happens later if they succeed in restoring Newcastle to a shopping viability and lots of people start going back? As you say, extra buses will cause road chaos.

Imagine Sydney without any rail corridors in the CBD. Double the amount of buses and you would have gridlock in the CBD.

Dennis
Dennis

My referal to shops was Newcastle compared to Garden City shopping centre. Some of those smaller centres you show are having problems too because of the large centres.
That's the point many are trying to make. That they can't keep blaming the rail line for "decline" of Newcastle CBD.

What happens later if they succeed in restoring Newcastle to a shopping viability and lots of people start going back? As you say, extra buses will cause road chaos.
This does! (trains replaced with trackwork buses - on a Sunday)

This was suppose to be a thread about a community event, so I'll add my posts in another thread about the same issue.

See,s really odd even allowing for the greed of real estate shenanigans to remove rail when the trains are being used??

Back