Organisation of builings/splines etc

Matttheduckman

It frustrates me sometimes when I am after a specific building, or track type, or any other piece of land based scenery, and I simply cannot find what I am after. I usually try to build solely fictional routes whilst I grasp doing certain types of trains and maps.

Anywho, I know there is a search/filter function in-game, but it is almost useless when after existing buildings. I have not downloaded anything from the DLS, and just using what is set by default by Auran in Trainz 2010. My questonis this: How do you filter what carrriages/trains/builldings/industries etc, to get what you want without having to trawl through thousands of items? Is it a matter f downloading certain themes or packs from the DLS?

Many thanks from a Trainz n00b!

When you know a bit more of what you're looking for, the filter system is quite good. Unfortunately, as most Trainz content was made by third parties from all over the world, there is no real consistency of naming or categorisation. I've been doing this for years, and I still sometimes spend longer browsing for assets than I do actually placing them...

Bear in mind you can use the picklist to remember stuff you saw in content manager, and you can add keywords in content manager to help you find stuff.

Paul

Yeah, I realise that, I just was hoping for more consistency in the naming etc. However, I guess I may be asking for too much! :hehe:

Thank you!

Naming protocol

I have always felt the need for a better naming protocol. A creator calling a house 'Blogs House' or 'Green house' say, instead of a military wording of 'House, green', House, Blogs', would at least list them all in one place and also be very easy to find.
Some or called Dom, I suppose for domicile, and that's fine, or whatever nationality each country uses to note that type of building or object because it is then possible to have a short list of different kinds to look through instead of going through your whole drive, and with 12 Gig of assets that's an awful lot of time wasted just searching.

A naming convention such as this would help with many objects on the DS too, but I fear we have progressed too far along the random naming road to reorganise it now - sadly.

For a computer search of an asset database I go through my drive writing down each asset on a list under various heading and in alphabetical order, headings such as Houses & Flats, Commercial, Sheds & Outbuildings, Trees & Shrubs, well, you'll get the drift. Then print them out and paper clip the pages for each section together. It saves ages....
I also use a 'Hint Sheet', of an alphabetical list of single words that I use a lot but would have difficulty in remembering, but try to keep this to one A4 sheet on one side only.

But sadly does not solve the problem on the DS. I have found the best way is by creator's name, at least you get a less varied selection that way. A for instance for bridges would be Bendorsey, or unusual items Alien3.
Or a word; for instance I needed a special playing pitch but was not sure what it was, so pitch was one search, field another and court yet another. It was surprising what came up! And I did get what I wanted...

Angela

Dom is simply the Russian word for house. And with all the nationalities, you'd do better off searching by Category, then name.

Back