Hey Why CSX and NS Cancelled Steam Program

Ok, my mistake. When you posted the link to that article, I thought you meant he posted that response as a comment

Last edited:
The Reason Why NS's Program Was Killed...

Hey guys i need more details about steam program why csx and norfolk southern steam program cancelled,i try to teach my grandpa how they cancelled he wont get it can you tell me why they cancelled.

If someone hasn't mentioned already, there are three major reasons why Norfolk Southern dropped their steam program at the end of 1994.

1.) The deaths of the Claytor Brothers (Graham in late 1993 and Bob early in 1994):'(

2.) The decision of David Goode to run more freight trains, which meant more MONEY(then president of the NS Corp.) :eek:

3.) The ever increasing need for track space to run the excursions. :p
However, after the program was dropped, things have begun to change for the better. 611 is well cared for @ VMT in Roanoke and so is 1218. David Goode's position was taken over by Wick Moorman in the earlier part of this decade.

Most railfans have mentioned that Moorman is the most steam-friendly president since the program ended. But NS has one stipulation to steamers running on their lines: They need a diesel behind them.

But 611 is reasonably close to running again. All that's needed is some new flues, some other minor repairs and a new Form 4. If NS were to run steam again, I wouldn't mind them putting the F-Units (be it the whole set or two of them) behing the J.

Just my opinion (btw, the reference as to why the program was killed is from the book "Steam's Camelot", written by Jim Wrinn - A GREAT READ!)

- Trainmaster844

If someone hasn't mentioned already, there are three major reasons why Norfolk Southern dropped their steam program at the end of 1994.

1.) The deaths of the Claytor Brothers (Graham in late 1993 and Bob early in 1994):'(

2.) The decision of David Goode to run more freight trains, which meant more MONEY(then president of the NS Corp.) :eek:

3.) The ever increasing need for track space to run the excursions. :p
However, after the program was dropped, things have begun to change for the better. 611 is well cared for @ VMT in Roanoke and so is 1218. David Goode's position was taken over by Wick Moorman in the earlier part of this decade.

Most railfans have mentioned that Moorman is the most steam-friendly president since the program ended. But NS has one stipulation to steamers running on their lines: They need a diesel behind them.

But 611 is reasonably close to running again. All that's needed is some new flues, some other minor repairs and a new Form 4. If NS were to run steam again, I wouldn't mind them putting the F-Units (be it the whole set or two of them) behing the J.

Just my opinion (btw, the reference as to why the program was killed is from the book "Steam's Camelot", written by Jim Wrinn - A GREAT READ!)

- Trainmaster844

Execpt the 1218 bascly had all its insides scraped when the program went down:'(

Even big steam excursion operators like Steamtown and Reading and Northern won't run excursions on NS because of the hassle and cost involved, plus NS doesn't like friction bearings which is basically all old steel open window coaches that those excursion operators use and some steam locomotives. In the 1980's it was much easier to run steam trips on Conrail because they were more lenient, like the Blue Mountain & Reading trips with #2102 in Sept. 1985, fall 1987, and 1988. They went to places like Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Gettysburg (May 21, 1988 only), Jim Thorpe, Horseshoe Curve (with PRR E8 diesels in Aug 1988) etc. from Temple Station north of Reading, PA (and South Hamburg in 1987 and 1988).

friction bearings which is basically all old steel open window coaches).

Let me just point this out for all, "Friction Bearings" was a term coined by the roller bearing companys just to earn more sales. They are actualy, if I remember this right, Journal Bearings.

Random fact, my 5 cents, back to the topic!

Back