The Menzies Creek Museum Blog - Puffing Billy

S301

Zec, the owner of ZecRail
Hi All
As a few know, I'm currently volunteering at the Menzies Creek Museum on Wednesday nights. The group is made up of mostly younger people, and is relatively small at the moment, although we are growing. I personally have only been involved with the museum since early last year (approx 12 months I think).

However, so as to start promoting the work that we are doing, I have started a blog to show a weekly progress update on the projects at the museum.

The main focus of this blog is our Aveling and Porter Ltd. Steam Road Roller, which is our current main project. However, we will also be working on other projects, of which I will include as well. As we progress further.

I would ask that anyone interested in the Menzies Creek museum continue watching the blog, as I will update it weekly (or close too) on our current projects. :)

You can find the blog here: http://mcm-aveling-porter.blogspot.com/

As a bit of a background, the museum is located at Menzies Creek, on the Puffing Billy railway in outer eastern suburbs of Melbourne, Victoria, Australia. The museum is mainly focused on narrow gauge railways, in particular the Victorian Railways' 2ft6in gauge railways. We have a collection of locomotives and rolling stock from a number of railways in Australia, as well as a number of road steam/portable steam vehicles and many 'fixed' industrial engines, and a George and George industrial boiler.

We have both 2ft and 2ft6in gauge locomotives and rolling stock. The 2ft gauge includes a Hudswell Clarke 0-4-2ST locomotive (operational), a Malcolm Moore diesel rail tractor (operational, however some work is still to be done), and an 0-6-0 Diesel Mechanical known as 'RMP', as well as two further (non operational) steam locomotives, and a collection of rolling stock.

The 2ft6in collection includes an ex Ali-shan Forrest Railway shay, a number of Gangers Trollies, and various rolling stock items (including some Timber Bogies from the Tyres Valley Tramway, where Climax 1694 operated).

Unfortunately, the museum is currently closed to the public. This is the main reason for the blog, so as to show the progress that we are making. We do hope to have the museum reopened in a few years time, with many improvements made to the entire museum.

I hope you enjoy seeing our progress, and hope to see some of you visit us once we are reopened. If you are local, and wish to help out, I can pass on contact details for you. :)

Zec

Back