Campaign to retain full DLS for TRS2004/06

Status
Not open for further replies.
The point!

...Why should Auran do this to support a version that is well out of date, why are people averse to upgrading to TS2010.
I agree with Auran, it is a logical move, tell me why I'm wrong.

Peter
In the first place, support is not the issue. Accessability to assets for each version is what we talk about here. Support has never been a strong point with Auran and probably never will!
Second, as you have to have read, the biggest reasons for people wanting to stay with 04/06 in PC requirements and functionality of the game.
Third and most logically, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!".

Who said they we going to remove the content. I read that they were going to work to ensure that all content on the DLS was error free but nothing about removing non-2010 content. Read the announcement again. TS2010 and TS2009 will still be reliant on previous content.

Quote the text to support your statement.

Peter

Sorry to the COMMUNITY if I sound angry in this post, but i'm not in the best of moods.

It would be a slow painful proccess, but would the content on the DLS for TRS2004 and TRS2006 be moved to another site? The DLS is stuffed up: it hardly ever works.
I doubt that Auran will do anything about this issue, and I doubt they will ever get the DLS fixed.

On another note- I'm not paying Auran, so that I can download FREEWARE. :sleep:

Last edited:
Sorry to the COMMUNITY if I sound angry in this post, but i'm not in the best of moods.

It would be a slow painful proccess, but would the content on the DLS for TRS2004 and TRS2006 be moved to another site? The DLS is stuffed up: it hardly ever works.
I doubt that Auran will do anything about this issue, and I doubt they will ever get the DLS fixed.

I quite like the DLS it works well enough for me. For uploading content there is nothing to touch it for ease of uploading from TS2010.

You pay for downloading freeware one way or other. Either the creator hosts it and pays for you to download it, or you make a donation to some one such as TPR, etc. The DLS gives you a source of reasonably error free content that has an update process such that you can just grab the updates without having to look for them. No one else does this.

I like TS2010 for content creation and it does mean I don't have to test in TRS2004 etc.

I think Auran is on the right tracks. Currently I'm cleaning up old content and some of it needs a good sort out to be honest even for TRS2004.

Cheerio John

04l06 Support

I am all for keeping support for 06/06 trainz. As i am yet to hear positive things about 09/10 i must admit to being tempted to upgrade. But the fear of losing another route plus all my downloaded content fills me with trepidation.
Having lost many routes thru hardware glitches and the like. With brand new stuff a route that works without slow framerates which i have endured in the past. Before the whole thing crashed and burned. And not being a tech geek
who nows how to move and transfer stuff around i willstay with 06 until auran can say any new stuff is faultless. even if it costs 3 times the price for us trainz buffs it will be worth it. Hopefully the server problem will be sorted soon as ia have loads in the Q waiting to be downloaded. I tried the other way but goodness knows where it went to in my comp. Like i say i have no idea about anything slightly complicated. getting a bit old. also what goes on with the stuff you download but cannot place on a route you have the thumbnail in your consist box but nothing happens, what goes on there. anyway fight the good fight i am with you all the way.
cheers.:udrool::udrool:

You are already paying your ISP for access to the Internet and thus the DLS, which is what Auran are doing, asking you to pay with an FCT for access, you are NOT paying for the content. In one way or another, you have to pay for access to anywhere on the Net.

Peter

Should Auran leave all assets on the DLS for download : YES

Should Auran continue to support very old versions of Trainz : NO

Should people be expected to update their computer to run the latest version of Trainz : If they want the new features and power then YES

Should Auran release a demo of TS2010 so that people can see if it will run on their computer : YES

Should people be able to DOWNLOAD old content from the DLS : In my opinion, registered owners of a SUPPORTED version of Trainz, or someone with an FCT should be able to download anything from the DLS, old or new.

Should people be able to UPLOAD old version content to the DLS : In my opinion, only content for supported versions of Trainz should be allowed to be uploaded. I don't see why a small company like Auran should be expected to fund services for old versions of their software. Most game companies don't supply the free service that Auran has with the DLS in the first place. I think uploads should be limited to the lowest supported version. 3rd party sites like TPR Download Depot can be an alternate download location for newer content, and a new place for older content.

Should there be a separate DLS for older content : If Auran are serious about separating themselves from older, unsupported content, then I believe that as a product passes it's supported lifespan, all content for that version should be moved to the older content DLS, and maybe only accessible with a FCT or a registered supported version.
Let's face it, it would only look like a different website. In reality, it would just have a different web face, and different access permissions depending on your status.

Are Auran right to address the "support lifespan" issue : Yes

Are Auran going about it the right way : As usual, NO.

There are things that Auran needed to address a long time ago, and it's because they've left it so long that things are now so severe.

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Here's a question for those that want to stay with TRS2004.
Are you prepared to pay for access to the DLS for content that's for an unsupported version of Trainz, through either an FCT or a registered copy of a supported version?

-------------------------------------------------------------------

If the answer is yes, then I don't see what the problem is.
You'll still have access to all the old content, and you'll have 3rd party sites to upload to if you're a creator.

If you're thinking that I'm saying all this because I'm using TS2010 and it won't affect me, then you're wrong!

My current content, which will be released sometime this month, will be released as TRS2004 standard, even though the only version of Trainz on my systems is TS2010.
This is because I'm not using any of the new features on my content (a lot of them are overkill for most content types, let's be honest), and I don't see a point (yet) in releasing Trainz content for a higher build than it needs to be.

I say YET, because depending on Auran's handling of this situation, there might come a time when I decide that, even if no features of the newer versions are being utilised, it's time to set a new baseline version for all of my future content.

In short, as long as Auran continue to provide access to DOWNLOAD content of any age or build number, even for a price, then there's incentive for uploading.

If Auran take away the guarantee that old content will be available one way or another, then I think the incentive to upload will be gone, and that will be one of their biggest mistakes yet.
I wouldn't want to upload something that's not going to be accessible 12 months later.

They should stop uploading for unsupported content, but should never stop any DLS content from being downloaded one way or another.

Smiley.

Last edited:
I am all for keeping support for 06/06 trainz. As i am yet to hear positive things about 09/10 ...
I don't have text to speech on my computer either but I've read plenty of positive things about TS2010.
I tried the other way but goodness knows where it went to in my comp. Like i say i have no idea about anything slightly complicated. getting a bit old. ...
cheers.:udrool::udrool:
[rant]
Sorry but age is not an excuse. And yes I'm already there. Every era had it's basic skills that everyone was expected to know or they had to be satisfied to watch the parade instead of being in it. At one time it was riding a horse, then driving a car and now for better or worse it's mastering a personal computer. It's not even an extra skill to add to your CV anymore. I have colleagues at work who are barely able use a computer and it has gotten to the point where they often get passed over when a new project is planned because of that lack.

Nothing personal is intended but too often I've read posts where the author uses a lack of skill or knowledge as an excuse to justify not doing something. In this particular case of upgrading, if people don't want to, fine but let's leave the excuses at the door and state reasons instead.
[/rant]

Add my vote too, please. Mezzo, good idea and thanks for getting an organized protest going. :Y:

I'm on board with this idea too.

Last edited:
Firstly let me thank Casper for reading my post and starting this thread.

I have both 04 & 09 and given the option of trying both before buying I would pay twice as much for 04 than 09.

In my case it is not a matter of money, I have a desktop running XP Professional with SP3 and a laptop, both machines run 04 perfectly.

With 09 I have to reset Fog & Draw Distance to even get a reasonable game
also the trees & landscape look like 2d objects.

Most of the posts on the forum regarding people having technical problems are to do with 09 & 10. Would it not be better if Auran got these problems sorted before they get rid of the older versions, and also made them so you dont have to go out and buy a High End computer just to run their game.
Pete

Most of the posts on the forum regarding people having technical problems are to do with 09 & 10. Would it not be better if Auran got these problems sorted before they get rid of the older versions, and also made them so you dont have to go out and buy a High End computer just to run their game.
Pete

The problem is with the content not the software for performance. On most (99%)machines if you set the distance to 1km the default for TRS2004 TS2010 will run the same content at the same or better frame rates on the same hardware.

The newer content especially the content that comes with it or S&C add on is more demanding, it looks better but does require more resources on the computer side.

Cheerio John

:) Hello Mezzoprezzo

You have my support, lets hope this thing gets big and well supported - I use 2004 & 2006 and, personally, think those two are the best versions ever released.

Good luck with the campaign.

Kind regards

Colbro :)

Instead of wasting time and effort in trying to get old and dated versions of Trainz supported.

Put some positive effort in to supporting Auran and buy the new versions.

Or we could all end up without any sort of Trainz, to run.

IKB.

Initially I intended writing and agreeing with this thread but I've had second thoughts. Why should Auran do this to support a version that is well out of date, why are people averse to upgrading to TS2010.

Peter

Because for a lot of us, it means spending money we can ill afford (there is a recession on at the moment) on upgrading our machines to run TS2010.
Also, (and it's a BIG also), take a look at the TS2010 section, it is obvious to me that there are still some serious problems with TS2010 that 2 patches still have not answered, in fact, SP2 appears to have caused very serious malfunctions for more than a few.
TRS2004 however, appears rock solid in comparison.

Instead of wasting time and effort in trying to get old and dated versions of Trainz supported.

IKB.

To you it may seem a waste, but there are a lot of people out here who enjoy trainz but because they are on a pension or have been retrenched and unable to find work yet are unable to afford a new all singing all dancing PC to run the latest versions, but would gladly maintain an FCT to continue to download content if it was still available.
TRS04 and 06 users could still suport Auran by maintaining FCT's and creators could still upload for 04 & 06 provided the content was fault free.
For Auran I believe it would be a win win situation as it would keep the 04 and 06 users and creators with Auran and I am sure in time a good number of these people would if their circumstances changed update to a newer PC and Trainz version.
Don't dump on people just because they are in a less fortunate situation than you. As far as 09 & 10 running on older machines is concerned I find your statement untrue as I have tried both 09 &10 via a kind friend and they made UTC look 1st class.
Regards
Barrie

Note: - TRS09 & 10 have been removed from my machine as it was only for a test to see how they worked.

IKB.

If you owned a 1934 Roles Royce would you trade it in for a 2010 Skoda:hehe:

Because for a lot of us, it means spending money we can ill afford (there is a recession on at the moment) on upgrading our machines to run TS2010.
Also, (and it's a BIG also), take a look at the TS2010 section, it is obvious to me that there are still some serious problems with TS2010 that 2 patches still have not answered, in fact, SP2 appears to have caused very serious malfunctions for more than a few.
TRS2004 however, appears rock solid in comparison.
This has been an interesting thread to follow. While I still mainly use 2004, I am in the process of moving over to 2010. I never liked 2006 mainly due to CMP and there Keywords, while 2009/2010 have improved the Keyword system. So at the moment my thoughts on any of these versions may not be based on any rock solid experience.

Personally, I think Auran is moving in the right direction and would be in favour to have any content pre 2004 removed. I am not in favour of removing any other content, though the idea of a different download station/area for that content is an appealing one. The point of having a current version of Trainz or a FCT, to me, is a move in the right direction for Auran as we all must remember they are a business not a charity.

Going back to as long as I have been a member of this forum (long before Fury) I can remember statements/post from various people in Auran that Trainz is not a great money/income part of their business. Maybe after Fury they are trying to make it that way, lets hope so as that is a good indication they intend to stay in this area of computer "games/simulations".

I find it interesting in another thread on the current DLS problems someone explaining how to use the DLS (without CMP/CM2/CM3.2) and how to use the FTP method to download. This must show how long I have also been a member as at times in the past we had the same problems and FTP was the only way to download until the problems where fixed.

Blackwatch, sorry to pick out your post but it is similar in many ways to others, and maybe more to my point. 2004 took 4 Service Packs to get right and the last Service Pack was to fix the stuff ups of the previous Service Pack.

Some of the current problems sound very familiar to me as well as many comments.

Craig
:):):)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back