Signal Bridge Is Down

WLE105

Conrail1990 Productions
Since i was heading home from work i see somin not right i went home grab a camera i took a picture of PRR signal bridge is was taken down on the CSX New Castle Sub in downtown Akron on E Market St.But the good news is there are only two more still stand.

This Is At CSX New Castle Sub In Akron Ohio I Took This Shot At E Market St.PRR Signal Bridge Is Taken Down By CSX.
23608_112990648717466_100000195932733_260783_2943525_n.jpg

23608_112991678717363_100000195932733_260791_3132300_n.jpg

Jacks signal bridge was demolished:
CP

Rockville (Bridge) Tower was demolished years ago.

Rose Interlocking in Juniata is slated for removal.

MO Tower, UN Tower were bulldozed long ago.

AR Tower is boarded up pending demolishion.

"C" Tower in Johnstown has been demolished.

MG Tower may be next.

Alto Tower is slated for demolition, if it is in such bad shape that it can not be relocated to the Altoona RR Memorial Museum.

Signal bridges all over the Pittsburgh-Harrisburg line are being demolished.

Soon Altoona will be a run through, two track, dying ghost town.

Juniata Shops future days looks numbered.

Last edited:
Get Em' While You Can

Most PRR position light signals are schedualed to totally removed in the next 2 years, or sooner, in lue of safetrain Darth Vaders. The ones on the Horseshoe are going, going, gone:mop: :'( :mop:

That is sad... I grew up in Akron and I remember standing next to that signal and watching up to 65 EL trains blast past it.....Not to mention the B&O and PRR/PC ones go by....

EDIT: I've been thinking of modeling the EL/B&O/PRR thru Akron/Babarton/Etc...... At least a modeled Signal bridge could live on....

Last edited:
It is sad to see the signal bridges and towers go to the scrapyard, but that's progress particularly when safety is concerned.

I felt pretty bad when the historic semaphore signals disappeared from South Station in Boston and were replaced by color-light signals. The signals are not the same, but this is for safety. The old semaphores, as neat as they are, were not in the best shape, and were electro-mechanical devices meaning there are more moving parts that can break more often than the new electronic signals we have today.

Up in Lawrence, MA, the MBTA removed some old searchlight-type signals from the old wye in South Lawrence. In their place, they put in a NYC-style tall signal tower with multiple tri-color signals on it. I felt bad at first seeing the old familiar searchlights go, but this tower with the tri-colors is awesome.

The South Station Semaphores.

http://www.nhrhta.org/htdocs/ssta.htm

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/95/MBTALawrence3.jpg === you need to really zoom in to see the two new signal bridges. The orginal searchlights were located about a mile behind where the picture was taken. These protected the M&L branch at the mainline between Boston and Portland, ME near where the old Lawrence Station is still located. The original, well 2nd station was built in 1928/30 and is typically Art Deco. Unfortunately it's not in great shape and has housed numerous businesses since it no longer became an important train stop.

John

I have to agree with JCitron, it's progress unfortunatly and a lot to do with safety, looking at the old signal bridges, sad to say they look very rusted and unsafe, they look like if they were not pulled down, they would have collapsed in there own time. They were built to last, but unfortunatly nothing lasts forever.

I felt as upset as you guys when they replaced all the semaphore signalling on my local route with light signals, the signals did not have the same noise as a semaphore dropping after a train had passed, plus all the gantry signals and gantrys came down and was replaced by a 4 aspect signal with left direction marker lights, sad to say good things never last and never stay the same...

R.I.P Huyton Station Signals

362788_54e450bb.jpg

362769_74a05c68.jpg

Joe Airtime

Back