Gary25b

I just found an old picture of my granddad standing in front of his 4-4-0 circa 1910, probably in or around Fort Worth, TX. As soon as I can get the picture scanned I'll post it.

But I was wondering if anyone here could figure out what RR he was working for. It is engine #34. The tender is only partially in the picture, and only two letters on its side are visible: ending letters ER.

Family stories placed my granddad with the Texas & Pacific for a while, but I looked on a T&P website, found an engine #34, but all the pics of T&P engines had 'Texas & Pacific' on their tenders.

Any ideas?

I know he also was an engineer for a northern Mexico RR around the time of Pancho Villa for a year or so.

[later] here's the picture; my Grandfather second from left. In a letter I found he states that he worked for the Mexican Central as an engineer, out of Gomez Palacios, and for 'other' RRs, I'm thinking in the Fort Worth area.

DSC01066.jpg

Last edited:
Hope My Advice Helps

He might have worked for a precursor of the Southern Pacific Transportation Company. I say this, 'cause in the later half of he 20th Century the SP served Texas along with subsidiary SSW a.k.a. the "Cotton Belt" or Saint Louis Southwestern Railway, which he might have worked on a predecessor of either.

Last edited:
One possibility is the Fort Worth & Denver, but I haven't found any pics online showing a tender with that written on it.

As for gary25b, I will say that the photo would be very helpful in this situation. Try to find someone with a scanner, or borrow a camera and take a picture to upload onto a photo hosting site. Either that, or we need a few more technical details. Is it a big, tall tender? Is there a distinct font for the lettering? Does it have any signs of paint other than black? Things like this can lead us on the right track (no pun intended)

Thx for all the suggestions. Funny, I hadn't even thought about taking a picture of the picture, and uploading that. Will do so ASAP.

Back