Show your models!

It used to be the case that nearly all wagons in the UK were only 2 or 3 axles without bogies, although nowadays almost all wagons have bogies. The exceptions back in the steam era were the GWR's huge (for the time) Siphon G vans:
2318.jpg

And the LMS's bizarrely modern-looking coal hoppers:
189301_1_600_360_72.jpg

The Southern Railway had bogie ballast hoppers:
sr1928j2.jpg

Some well wagons and flatcars had bogies too (flatcars were called "bogie bolsters" for this reason.)
Other bogey-fitted wagons existed but they were rare, and the concept didn't really catch in until the 1980s.

Last edited:
is the reason there's so many two axeled, hence four wheels, freight cars because the area doesn't need to move as much loads as in other areas? I always wondered why...

I don't actually know why, but I guess it's probably becuase lines in the UK had to work in smaller spaces when they were first built. This means tighter curves which work better with smaller-wheelbase stuff. And I assume now that like in the US, most of the smaller carload customers have shut down or switched to trucks, so the intermodal, coal, oil and other unit trains can use bigger equipment since they don't go on as many tighter curves.

My first American locomotive purchase. :D
(The Tyco 'Chattanooga Choo Choo' was a gift so I am not counting it)

It came to me from the United States - because it's nearly impossible to find Mantua locomotives in Australia, or at least where I am.

This is a Tyco/Mantua 'General' 4-4-0 in V&T livery.

It's a surprisingly good runner, too!

Now, I just need to find some rolling stock for it to pull....

Kieran.

My first American locomotive purchase. :D
(The Tyco 'Chattanooga Choo Choo' was a gift so I am not counting it)

It came to me from the United States - because it's nearly impossible to find Mantua locomotives in Australia, or at least where I am.

This is a Tyco/Mantua 'General' 4-4-0 in V&T livery.

It's a surprisingly good runner, too!

Now, I just need to find some rolling stock for it to pull....

Kieran.

Kind of funny how that ended up being the same colors as Thomas!

Um, I don't think that's the correct livery.

The shades are way too bright.

Despite not being my first choice of livery (I would have preferred the red-and-green or red-and-black Western & Atlantic Railroad version), and despite not being an accurate representation of anything, it's still a brilliant little engine and I think it deserves recognition as a novelty piece.

And besides, when was the last time Tyco ever did anything even remotely realistic? ;)

I can't imagine how you guys will react when I show the carriages I've bought for it - they're labelled for the Union Pacific! :hehe:

I believe they're the Bachmann ones ktain.ny mentioned earlier.

Ideally I would like to eventually get the W&A RR liveried model and the matching Mantua W&A RR coaches, as well as the 4-6-0 (the one based on a Rogers locomotive) and 4-8-0 locomotives.

Kieran.

Last edited:
Yeah, tyco is.... Not so great. If you want some nice USA stuff, try either athrean, Hornby us, or Bachmann.

Speaking of Bockman, I'm sending a few of my engines into the shop for some repairs. They should be home within a couple months

If you want some nice USA stuff..
To me, this is nice. It has character.

@whitepass: Another reason why I like it. I mainly collect 50's and 60's model trains. Usually Tri-ang, but this General was a good introduction to American trains.

I'm now working out a deal on a Mantua 4-6-0 Rogers loco. :D

Kieran.

Would this count?

be3763e2bdcb47cc93d4cfa7fccf6a4e.jpg

Needs a little TLC. The target is bent and the paint is rough. But just needs a power supply that isn't my drill battery and a new light bulb due to said battery. I've built a small stand for it, complete with controls to toggle the light and the color. Red and White are all it displays. Recovered with permission from a scrap heap after the railroad replaced it with new LED Safetran lights.

Well, I think these passenger cars match 'General' splendidly. :D

They're Bachmann ones and I think ktain.my referred to these earlier.

Kieran.

Last edited:
Back