Are there directional speed boards?

Wolfie7AU

Returning Trainz Member
Forgive the ASCII-art, but a picture speaks a thousand words...
Code:
  120km/hr       A    120km/hr
 ___=====>____s_______________
                  \  v
                   \  40km/hr
                    \
What I'd like to achieve is basically to have a speed board at , when the loco [====>] approaches, if it's path is "straight through" (ie, JuncA|back to JuncA|left), it can continue at it's current speed limit (of 120km/hr in my example), whereas if the junction is set for a turn (so going JuncA|back to JuncA|right), then a speed limit of 40km/hr applies.

I am using TS2009 and have a strong preference for using existing in-built content (just like to avoid having to scan through the 100s of speed boards, when hopefully someone else in the past has come across the before) if possible, or failing that options that are available via the DLS.

Last edited:
Yes, but the only ones I know of are UK ones by Bloodnok. He wrote the script they depend on...

Paul

I think the invisible speed signals by bpanther will do exactly what you want.
Invisible Speed-Signal <kuid2:137715:23001:2> and <kuid2:137715:23002:2>
Hope this helps
Best wishes,

Jim

ahhh, perfect, precisely what I was needing, and as an added bonus bpanther's invisible speed boards are actually included as part of the in-built content that comes with TS2009.

Thanks for that link too duckblaster (what have you got against ducks?! :hehe: ), there's a good bit of valuable info there.

- Wolfie

my name is Donald so I got called Donald duck a lot
hehe, yeah it's amazing how much time and effort people will put into coming up with a nickname for someone isn't it! :D

One additional note about using the invisible directional speed board, kinda obviously really but didn't think of it until was testing with them. The speed boards are invisible so um, there's no way for the human train driver to visually know there's a (possibly significant) change of speed limit coming due to a junction switching configuration (aside from enabling a custom HUD and assuming they are watching it (ie, like the example given above, 120km/hr dropping to 40km/hr).

Did look at the "Dummy SignX" boards by Natvander (which are also included with TS2009), but those boards are shaped with a point, always pointing left, thinking would be confusing when the turn in fact is to the right.

Not sure what the solution to this is yet.

Seems to me the solution is simple: attach a different speed sign to each side of the junction.

Like this:

The 40kph sign is attached to the turning track while the 120kph (which actually might not be needed, but would be helpful for human drivers) is attached to the straight track. Of course, you could use invisible speed signs and use a custom sign for human drivers.

Thanks for the suggestion Edrick, however the problem with that approach is you're applying a speed limit AFTER you've crossed the junction. It's more of a "workaround" than a true reflection of how a situation like this is handled in the real world.

The aim is to have the loco at the correct speed before they hit the junction, ie because it's a dangerous curve to take at speed or is a cross-over which should be done carefully. But certainly if looking for a quick-n-easy way and not too fussed with exactness, then yes it would work.

The AI looks ahead and will slow down before it reaches the speed sign, so it will be at the required speed before it gets to the sign.

Yes, however that's missing the point of what was being asked for. The speed board after the junction "trick" has been around for a long time, but was hoping there would be a more realistic (and correct) option available, and as posted above, there are indeed a couple of solutions.

QR Speed signs

There are some built in speed signs in 2009. QR Speed signs which are under track objects. You still need to use the invisible speed signal but for visual effect they look okay.

(Image hosted by image shack - with thanks)

Thanks stokia01, yes I had looked at those, the downside with them is that they're "fixed speeds", like your example, only 120&50kph, and as your screenie shows, there's a 120&25kpm or a 100&50kph option, but there's no sign for 120&40kph speeds or whatever other combos someone might want. That's where variable speed boards became handy, as allows entering whatever speed limits you want.

Back