Train Hit By Tornado

Holy crap!!!! I hope everyone was okay! It sorted looked like your basic train wreak, though, becuase the car just seemed to fall to the left. If it wasn't raining and didn't say it was a tornado, I wouldn't have beliveds it. :eek:

Yeah I saw the tornado pass from the left side of the moving freight train as clearly by the stuff flying through the air,to the right and I assure you that the train was not going to make it through,that was scary,that could have killed everyone that was on that train!:eek:

Last edited:
That's been awhile ago. I think in 2009. He wasn't too far from the Illinois Railway Museum, same UP line. (I think) He was leaving outbound from Chicago and got caught in the way. I think he wasn't actually "hit", but moreover just blown down. The cars seem to just tip, so that's my reasoning. He could have got hit by the wind shear produced by the tornado. Heck, if the tornado was weak, it could have hit him directly.

Cheers,
Joshua

An EF3 tornado is pretty strong. Strong enough to kill people, knock over houses, flip cars, etc. In this case, I think part of the problem was the train being on a bridge. There was a bit of lift as the train got pushed from underneath. What stopped the train dead was the lack of air. When the train broke apart, the engine went into emergency and stopped. The cars that were still in motion then slammed into the engine from the rear.

I'll be out again this year in April 14th-25th, chasing in OK, TX, AR, NE, and even SD. Last year we traveled 5600 miles and I saw an awesome number of coal trains coming out of the Powder River Basin as well as had a nice UP freight "follow" us. I have a video of this one somewhere. We were chasing a storm, and this train had been running parallel to us for quite a distance. We then turned back and had to cross the track. We got to the crossing just as the end of the train cleared.

John

John

wow that looked so fake! :hehe: it was awesome though! :)

You win the award for resurrecting a 4 month old thread. Sadly it is only bronze. Now if it was a year or three you would get a gold metal and a very angry community. Have a nice day. :wave:

Back