I fancy a new computer - thoughts?

By the way I’m running TS2010 on two gaming setups one with an ATI 5870 and one with an Nvidia GTX 285. I don’t have any problems running the game on either setup.

You are running two pretty hot cards though. On a low-end card like mine (8400GS) they difference is like night and day. Under OpenGL, TS2010 runs smooth as butter; under DirectX, it stutters.

I do kind of like the fact that Auran chose to support OpenGL though, since that potentially would allow Trainz to run on non-Windows platforms.

I do kind of like the fact that Auran chose to support OpenGL though, since that potentially would allow Trainz to run on non-Windows platforms.

Well sort of, you need a decent driver and nVidia won't release drivers in open source format so you won't see a decent driver in Linux.

Cheerio John

OpenGl gets updated every five years the latest standard is openGL 3.0 which no one is talking about because its full of support for very old junk. Cheerio John

Actually the latest version is the just released OpenGL 4.0 spec –

http://www.opengl.org/

Actually the latest version is the just released OpenGL 4.0 spec –

http://www.opengl.org/

It would seem unlikely that TS2010 uses it though as it came out before the spec. It was the requirement to keep in legacy stuff that killed OpenGL 3.0 I wonder what has happened with openGL 4.

Cheerio John

It would seem unlikely that TS2010 uses it though as it came out before the spec. It was the requirement to keep in legacy stuff that killed OpenGL 3.0 I wonder what has happened with openGL 4.

Cheerio John

I highly doubt TS2010 is using anything from the new OpenGL 4.0 spec.

It will be interesting to see if the new OpenBVE (temporarily called openBVE 2 renderer) will use any of the new features in OpenGL 4.0.

http://railsimroutes.net/blog/

My 3 month old Dell Studio XPS 8000 (see below) for ~$900 incuding tax work VERY well with TS2009. The current version is the slightly modified 8100.
On this PC, DirectX has a higher frame rate but the apearance of the water suffers.

My 3 month old Dell Studio XPS 8000 (see below) for ~$900 incuding tax work VERY well with TS2009. The current version is the slightly modified 8100.
On this PC, DirectX has a higher frame rate but the apearance of the water suffers.

Yes but it doesn't have ecc memory and that is a constraint.

Cheerio John

I note the Xeon 5670 has arrived 32nm and supports higher memory speeds. I wonder what impact that will have on the equation.

Cheerio John

You don't need a High End PC to run Trainz

Come on...Tell me that these off the shelf moderately high end Laptops will not run Trainz ? ? ?

$699-HP-Intel Core i3-330, 14" Screen, 4Gb Memory, 320 Gb Hard drive, Windows 7

$679-Toshiba-AMD Turion II Ultra Daul Core, 17.3" Screen, 4Gb Memory, 500Gb, Hard Drive, Windows 7

$899-HP-Intel Core i7-720, 15.6" Screen, 4Gb Memory, 320Gb Hard Drive, 1Gb Dedicated Graphics Memory, Windows 7

$779-HP-Intel Core i3, 16" Screen, 4Gb DDR3 Memory, 500Gb Hard Drive, Windows 7

$1249-HP-Intel Core i7-720,17" Screen, 6Gb Memory, 640Gb Hard Drive, 1Gb Dedicated Graphics Memory, Windows 7

And if you get them through a New Yoark' mail order house...the price is Much cheaper !

Perhaps I had forgotten that this is not a Trainz Information Thread about general PC's for everyone wanting to run Trainz...and is a: "What John wants thread". But you are leading those wanting a laptop to run Trainz with, that they need a $2500-$4000 PC, which they don't. Extremely Pricey High End gaming Laptops can Crash too ! And causes even more tears when they are corrupted :'(

In case your PC crash's...back up all your important assets as CDP's, and store them on an External Hard Drive, Memory stick, or RW-DVD.

Last edited:
Good god I just don't think you understand what John wants.

Look at this way I drive a bog standard Ford Fiesta to work, its all I can afford. But If I could afford an Aston Martin DB9 then I'd ditch the Ford in a heartbeat. The Aston will still get me to work, and in rush hour traffic in pretty much the same time. So why want an Aston Martin. Choice, and because its better, even if I am limited by traffic and law to a top speed of 60mph (70 on motorways/dual carriageways).

When I go food shopping I buy the more expensive Walkers Salted Crisps, but wait a min, the supermarket own brand are cheaper and do exactly the same thing, that is fill the hole in my stomach.

Much like the computers you've listed will run Trainz John is exercising his right to choice, his choice to go with ECC memory so he can further avoid data corruption in memory, unlike the computers you have listed. Like John when Brought my new computer last year I went top end spec. Way more than what is needed to run Trainz.

Come on...Tell me that these off the shelf moderately high end Laptops will not run Trainz ? ? ?

$699-HP-Intel Core i3-330, 14" Screen, 4Gb Memory, 320 Gb Hard drive, Windows 7

$679-Toshiba-AMD Turion II Ultra Daul Core, 17.3" Screen, 4Gb Memory, 500Gb, Hard Drive, Windows 7

$899-HP-Intel Core i7-720, 15.6" Screen, 4Gb Memory, 320Gb Hard Drive, 1Gb Dedicated Graphics Memory, Windows 7

$779-HP-Intel Core i3, 16" Screen, 4Gb DDR3 Memory, 500Gb Hard Drive, Windows 7

$1249-HP-Intel Core i7-720,17" Screen, 6Gb Memory, 640Gb Hard Drive, 1Gb Dedicated Graphics Memory, Windows 7

And if you get them through a New Yoark' mail order house...the price is Much cheaper !

Perhaps I had forgotten that this is not a Trainz Information Thread about general PC's for everyone wanting to run Trainz...and is a: "What John wants thread". But you are leading those wanting a laptop to run Trainz with, that they need a $2500-$4000 PC, which they don't. Extremely Pricey High End gaming Laptops can Crash too ! And causes even more tears when they are corrupted :'(

In case your PC crash's...back up all your important assets as CDP's, and store them on an External Hard Drive, Memory stick, or RW-DVD.

So you are saying that I shouldn't be allowed to ask for input in the forum because my requirements aren't mainstream?

Seems a bit extreme but you are entitled to your opinion.

Cheerio John

Good god I just don't think you understand what John wants.

Look at this way I drive a bog standard Ford Fiesta to work, its all I can afford. But If I could afford an Aston Martin DB9 then I'd ditch the Ford in a heartbeat. The Aston will still get me to work, and in rush hour traffic in pretty much the same time. So why want an Aston Martin. Choice, and because its better, even if I am limited by traffic and law to a top speed of 60mph (70 on motorways/dual carriageways).

When I go food shopping I buy the more expensive Walkers Salted Crisps, but wait a min, the supermarket own brand are cheaper and do exactly the same thing, that is fill the hole in my stomach.

Much like the computers you've listed will run Trainz John is exercising his right to choice, his choice to go with ECC memory so he can further avoid data corruption in memory, unlike the computers you have listed. Like John when Brought my new computer last year I went top end spec. Way more than what is needed to run Trainz.

Top of the line probably not but the slightly slower versions of the top of the line stuff is much more cost effective. I think one issue sometimes is knowing what is required. If I spend $500 more than I need I know it will work, if I spend to the line it might not work or some one may bring out some more animated people which puts the load up. Some of the assets I like to run are not the most optimally made ones. If I purchase something that will just about run US style railroads today fine but if I want to run early UK stuff with lots of passengers and buildings round the stations what do I need?

The poly count on a coach with ten animated doors on the side is much higher than one with two doors. Most US stuff has two doors one at each end, the period I'm interested in typically has ten compartments with a door on each side of the coach.

Cheerio John

his choice to go with ECC memory so he can further avoid data corruption in memory

ECC memory, lol.

The only users who absolutely need ECC memory are those who use the machine for “mission critical” work, certainly not for running games or for performance applications.

Not to mention that ECC does cause a performance hit to begin with.

Here is an example of some of the highest performing memory you can get for the currently highest performing chipset from Intel, the X58 -

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2010170147%2050001504%201052345114%201052429371&name=DDR3%201600%20%28PC3%2012800%29

See any mention of ECC, of course not.

The obvious solution to this would be to have a system setup for “mission critical” work and one setup for gaming.

With the misconceptions going back and forth here I suggest you start doing some research in a real hardware forum.

For followup on my post above: I built the system Monday. Took a while to dress the cables. Last night I loaded my prefered applications: Trainz, MS Flight Sim X and X-Plane. Of course I had to run 'em for checkout. Max settings on Trainz (2006)ran without a hiccup. Really nice. Flight Sim X same thing. X-Plane at max settings twice warned that it was reducing frame rate but it must have been from obscenely fast to not quite so obscenely fast. No reported frame rates yet but, I am quite pleased. I actually think I need to turn the fans down.

MS Flight Sim X and X-Plane. Of course I had to run 'em for checkout. Max settings on Trainz (2006)ran without a hiccup. Really nice. Flight Sim X same thing. X-Plane at max settings

I’d take a closer look at the performance you’re getting Mark.

I run FSX, FS9 and X-plane on the two machines listed below. Even with an i7 975 clocked at 4GHz + you’re not going to be able to run FSX or X-Plane with maxed out settings and get any resemblance to fluid frame rates/performance, no new news here as a look in any flight sim forum will prove.

X-Plane can easily be configured with the right options choices to perform extremely smooth but with FSX’s clunky, out dated game engine completely fluid performance is just about impossible no matter what the hardware.

ASUS Rampage II Extreme (1802 BIOS)
Intel Core i7-975 Extreme Edition w/Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme 1366 RT
Mushkin Redline Ascent 6GB (3 x 2GB) DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) (6-7-6-18-1N)
Asus/ATI 5870 (Catalyst 10.3 “Preview”)
Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty
WD VelociRaptor 150GB – Windows 7 Ultimate 64
WD VelociRaptor 300GB – Games/Programs
WD VelociRaptor 150GB - XP Pro 64 Bit Edition/SP2
PC Power & Cooling T1KWSR 1000W
LIAN LI PC-A70B

ASUS Rampage Extreme (BIOS 1202)
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9650 w/Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme
Mushkin XP3-12800 Ascent 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3 1600
EVGA GTX 285 FTW (196.34)
Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty
WD VelociRaptor 150GB – Windows Vista Ultimate 64/SP2
SILVERSTONE 1500Watt SST
SILVERSTONE TJ09-B

ECC memory, lol.

The only users who absolutely need ECC memory are those who use the machine for “mission critical” work, certainly not for running games or for performance applications.

Not to mention that ECC does cause a performance hit to begin with.

Here is an example of some of the highest performing memory you can get for the currently highest performing chipset from Intel, the X58 -

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2010170147%2050001504%201052345114%201052429371&name=DDR3%201600%20%28PC3%2012800%29

See any mention of ECC, of course not.

The obvious solution to this would be to have a system setup for “mission critical” work and one setup for gaming.

With the misconceptions going back and forth here I suggest you start doing some research in a real hardware forum.

So your suggestion would be two systems. Well its an idea and thank you for your input but I run both Blender and Trainz, one is more critical ie more demanding of ecc memory than the other, both can eat any hardware you throw at it. I think it could be cheaper to just have one system than two expensive ones. Besides if I'm running ecc memory I avoid minor glitches in Trainz that could happen from a memory cell flipping over.

Cost wise a mainstream AMD motherboard with a AMD quad processor would give me a fairly cheap ecc memory based system. If the GTX40 is a waste of time then an ATI video card with an AMD cpu gives me reasonable performance at a reasonable cost. If the GTX40 is worth having then an Intel based solution that offers ecc memory looks better.

I'm not after top memory performance and I am aware that losing a few months work in Blender because a memory bit has flipped is something I wish to avoid. I used to core alter programs by changing the state of a bit or two to avoid the time taken to recompile so I'm quite aware of what can happen if a memory bit is in the wrong state thank you. I'm quite happy to take a 2% performance hit to ensure data integrity. I even run my machines on the end of a UPS to avoid brownouts.

There was a write up in Scientific America a few years ago that thought 2 mbs of memory would be sufficient to start getting errors on a regular basis basically based on background radiation and alpha rays from impurities. They've improved the impurity side of silicon but even today IBM research thinks there is roughly a memory cell in the wrong state every two months on average.

Out of curiosity do you do your taxs on your computer? pay bills? or hold information that you make decisions on? I assume you don't mind paying some one the wrong amount or paying to much or too little tax?

I agree that if you only play games and can reload the computer from time to time then ecc memory isn't critical but when I do my TRA (Threat Risk assessment) I think it is critical and important to me and I do have a background in computer hardware as well as software so I think I'm qualified to at least define my own requirements.

Cheerio John

So your suggestion would be two systems. Well its an idea and thank you for your input but I run both Blender and Trainz, one is more critical ie more demanding of ecc memory than the other, both can eat any hardware you throw at it. I think it could be cheaper to just have one system than two expensive ones. Besides if I'm running ecc memory I avoid minor glitches in Trainz that could happen from a memory cell flipping over.
Cheerio John

I know more than a few graphic artists that depend on a computer for their livelihoods. Not one of them I know is using ECC memory or has ever made ECC memory use a decision breaker when specifying components for a new machine. They are more concerned with storage solution failure (hard drive) then a “memory cell flipping over” and that’s why they regularly back up their work just like everyone else that is concerned with data loss.

Out of curiosity do you do your taxs on your computer? pay bills? or hold information that you make decisions on? I assume you don't mind paying some one the wrong amount or paying to much or too little tax?

Again I don’t use my gaming setups for any “mission critical” work. They are strictly for gaming that’s it.

By the way out of all the machines I have used for “mission critical” work, not one of them has ever used ECC memory.

If we are still keying of Trainz, ECC is worse than a waste of money.
Of laptops for Trainz (or any other PC), DO get one with dedicated video memory.

I know more than a few graphic artists that depend on a computer for their livelihoods. Not one of them I know is using ECC memory or has ever made ECC memory use a decision breaker when specifying components for a new machine. They are more concerned with storage solution failure (hard drive) then a “memory cell flipping over” and that’s why they regularly back up their work just like everyone else that is concerned with data loss.

Again I don’t use my gaming setups for any “mission critical” work. They are strictly for gaming that’s it.

By the way out of all the machines I have used for “mission critical” work, not one of them has ever used ECC memory.

I'm not a graphic artist, but I have an idea of the risks involved in having a memory bit in the wrong state. Many graphic artists look for advice from some one with some experience in computers and don't understand the risks involved.

If we take it back to functional requirements then my functional requirement is I want a level of confidence that what is written into memory and what comes out are the same.

Can you suggest another way to do this without using ecc memory?

Not praying or just your opinion please but something backed up with facts. The IBM study might be a couple of years old but is still relevant. We are talking about using a condenser here to hold a charge for a period of time and that condensers occasionally leak and there are a large number of memory cells in a computer.

Just because you are optimistic doesn't mean to say you are correct, and since I will be paying the bill I think my preferences carry some weight.

Cheerio John

If we are still keying of Trainz, ECC is worse than a waste of money.
Of laptops for Trainz (or any other PC), DO get one with dedicated video memory.

Why would ecc memory be worse than a waste of money? There is perhaps a 2% penalty for an assurance that the memory has no errors. 2% isn't going to make or break any system running Trainz.

As mentioned in a previous post I use a Touch stream keyboard so a lap top would be difficult to use and offer no advantages over a desktop to me.

Cheerio John

Back