Have You seen this

The only change is that you won't have DLS access unless you buy a First Class Ticket. Helpdesk haven't given technical support for a while on 06, and we'll all still be here on the forums to assist. Or you could use the next five months to save up for TS2010.

Paul

I haven't? I'm pretty sure I'm still giving support for 06, until September.

We haven't actually given technical support for 04 or older (apart from assistance with DLS issues with these editions, or some suggestions that may work, such as intro-disable or suggesting they update drivers), as per this announcement from Rob in 2008: http://forums.auran.com/trainz/showthread.php?t=21235

Zec

The only change is that you won't have DLS access unless you buy a First Class Ticket. Helpdesk haven't given technical support for a while on 06, and we'll all still be here on the forums to assist. Or you could use the next five months to save up for TS2010.

Paul

I don't think it's the cost of TS2010 that's the issue here. Maybe saving up for the Cray required to run it... As stated several times, I bought it but can't use it - at least on my development machine. In the scheme of all things game related TS2010 is not expensive but it doesn't matter if Auran started selling it for £1.00 - if the useability isn't there, those of us consigned to using older versions need the full suite of DLS access including the ability to upload perfectly okay routes etc.

I don't think it's the cost of TS2010 that's the issue here. Maybe saving up for the Cray required to run it... As stated several times, I bought it but can't use it - at least on my development machine. In the scheme of all things game related TS2010 is not expensive but it doesn't matter if Auran started selling it for £1.00 - if the useability isn't there, those of us consigned to using older versions need the full suite of DLS access including the ability to upload perfectly okay routes etc.

It's a shame such a great route builder as yourself is having these problems. Personally I've found that the same routes as I was building in 04/06 run smoother with a greater draw distance on the same machine, even after the addition of speed-trees. It may be that your laptop has a very fast processor, but less graphics capability, which could mean that TS2010's offloading more onto the graphics processor doesn't help you.

I don't think it's unreasonable to expect anyone who hasn't bought a Trainz product since TRS06 to pay for an FCT, but I do think it may turn out to be a retrograde step to prevent uploads of older version content.

Paul

Well I'm having another go with a short(ish) route as I'm determined to try and get it functioning.

What is your hardware? It's very rare that a machine will run the same content in TRS2004 better than TS2010 in native mode.

Cheerio John

In the case of my laptop, it's a Dell Inspiron 1520 which is a 1.8Ghz Dual Core processor, Geforce 8600 Gfx and 2Gb memory. TS2010 gives green ticks against all the system checks.

I suspect it is memory related as the short (approx 15 mile route) I started today is not exhibiting any stutter as yet compared to a 60 mile extraction which was stuttering on track laying. At the moment the only terrain textures are the Transdem ones so I'm keeping my fingers crossed - it could be when you hit a certain number of baseboards the performance issues start.

I'm sufficiently encouraged that I'll probably be renewing my FCT when it expires in a few days time.

In the case of my laptop, it's a Dell Inspiron 1520 which is a 1.8Ghz Dual Core processor, Geforce 8600 Gfx and 2Gb memory. TS2010 gives green ticks against all the system checks.

I suspect it is memory related as the short (approx 15 mile route) I started today is not exhibiting any stutter as yet compared to a 60 mile extraction which was stuttering on track laying. At the moment the only terrain textures are the Transdem ones so I'm keeping my fingers crossed - it could be when you hit a certain number of baseboards the performance issues start.

I'm sufficiently encouraged that I'll probably be renewing my FCT when it expires in a few days time.

I think with lap tops performance always is a bit of problem. Still TS2010 should be able to use both cores and the DXT texture compression will help on the graphics side. I think its more a case of being selective about what you run. It should still run better than TRS2004 but it might be an idea to drop the distance back a bit.

Cheerio John

Back