Track Priority Markers

dricketts

Trainz Luvr since 2004
Correct Placement for Track Priority Markers

I've done my research on these but I can't seem to get them to work satisfactory. If I understand correctly a train with the same priority as the marker should follow that marker if it's unrestricted by another train. I have trains that continue to avoid a matching priority marker at a siding right before the marker. My goal is to keep trains using the mainline and not use sidings for shortcuts.

Does the direction of the the marker make a difference? I've also aligned the junctions to follow the priority markers but that still doesn't seem to help.

By the way I'm using TRS2004
Thanks for any help...

Last edited:
The direction makes no difference. The marker indicates ONLY a train matching the priority number may use that track. a train matching that number MAY or MAY NOT use that track depending on surrounding conditions. if you have four tracks, one for each priority, and one without any marker, any train can use the one unmarked, but the other three can only be used by the same number... Confused yet? :cool:

Last edited:
Actually that makes sense. If I understand correctly.

A train could avoid a matching track priority marker to travel along a track that has no marker because the AI computes that as shorter distance to the final destination.

Not really how I hoped they worked. I really can't see the benefit of using them over standard track marks.

Last edited:
I use them. Two places where the AI wants to go down a certain track (due to it being the shortest distance ) so I placed a priority 1 there so only the yard shunter (a priority 1 consist ) will use it. the other trains enyering the yard no longer go that way.

Last edited:
Yes I can see where it would work in that situation. I was just hoping it would be a solution to keeping trains on the mainline. For my situation I would have to block off several sidings using this method limiting to only trains that have that specific priority.

It would be nice to have a mainline marker. All trains follow this marker unless its blocked. Then the AI kicks in and the train reroutes.

I have never been able to get "Train Priority" and "Track Priority" to work. It never throws turnouts, and never excludes an improper train from entering an improper track. Trains always takes the shortest route, and "Track Priority" never throws turnouts for the "Train Priority" selected. And when you make a new session all the "Track Priority" markers revert to the default setting 2

I have never been able to get "Train Priority" and "Track Priority" to work. It never throws turnouts, and never excludes an improper train from entering an improper track. Trains always takes the shortest route, and "Track Priority" never throws turnouts for the "Train Priority" selected. And when you make a new session all the "Track Priority" markers revert to the default setting 2

I've never been able to get them to work either. I use Track Direction Markers to keep A.I. Trains from going down spurs and tracks that I don't want A.I. trains to go.

Yeah ... I do that extensively ... Using "Track Directional Markers" to point at an oncoming train, blocking its path, making it throw a turnout, to navigate to another usable track

But I want all my passenger trains to throw a turnout, and go down a priority 1 track ... and all my freight trains to throw a turnout, and go down a priority 2, or priority 3 track

I don't want to use a complex "Path" rule ... All I want is for a passenger/freight train to set it's own path automatically, when it sees a different priority track coming up

Last edited:
I could never get them to work either. KISS for me too. I use direction markers and track marks to direct my drivers where I want them. Setting up the triple track marks as beginning middle, end setups in complex areas keeps my drivers going where I want them without resorting to path rules and other unnecessarily complex rules.

I have just run a simple test using TS19 and the priority markers worked perfectly.

I created a long straight track (the shortest distance between two points) with a diversion track branching off near the start, taking a long path and then rejoining the straight track near the end.

I placed two priority markers:-

• one on the straight section between the two junctions and set it to Priority 1.
  • the other on the curving diversion and set it to Priority 2.

I placed a loco at the start of the track before the first junction and a trackmark at the other end, named "Destination".

Test 1: The loco is given the Priority level 1 and the first junction is set to the diversion. In Driver mode the loco is given the command "Drive to Trackmark Destination"
Result: The loco takes the shortest path through the Priority 1 marker.

Test 2: The loco is given the Priority level 2 and the first junction is set to the straight track. In Driver mode the loco is given the command "Drive to Trackmark Destination"
Result: The loco takes the long path through the Priority 2 marker.

Test 3: The loco is given the Priority level 3 and the first junction is set to the straight track. In Driver mode the loco is given the command "Drive to Trackmark Destination"
Result: The loco takes the shortest path through the Priority 1 marker along the straight track.

Test 4: The loco is given the Priority level 3 and the first junction is set to the diversion. In Driver mode the loco is given the command "Drive to Trackmark Destination"
Result: The loco takes the long path through the Priority 2 marker along the curved track.

Test 3 and 4 would seem to indicate that when the loco has a priority level that does not match the level of any of the available paths, it will select the path according to the switch settings.

Last edited:
That might work if the both of the tracks both lead to the same trackmarker after the next exit junction ... But if you two tracks going away on separated paths, to the east and west ... have a "priority 1" train, it should throw an offending junction lever set to a "track priority 2" track, then follow the track "priority 1" marker track

It just does not function that way, using manual control, or "Drive" command ... unless it is a passing siding, that both tracks lead to the same trackmarker further down the line ... then it works fine

But this is of no use to me

Last edited:
Your scenario of diverging tracks going in different directions and never meeting is not a situation where you would use priority markers. Their function is to prevent trains running under AI taking shortcuts while still allowing some AI controlled trains access to the shortcut.

I tested your scenario and the priority markers, as I expected, were unnecessary. The Priority 1 train took the Priority 2 track without any problems if it was given a "Drive To Trackmark" command to a trackmark located at the end of that track. Likewise for the second track which was set to Priority 3.

Their function is to prevent trains running under AI taking shortcuts ...
Ahh ... I see now ... So I would have to have place a "Short Circuit" of invisible track, connecting the two, "East", and "West" tracks ... then the Priority 1 or Priority 2 trains could see both Direction Markers, and throw the proper turnout for the proper Priority track

I want passenger trains to automatically go down a Priority 1 track, and freight trains to automatically go down a Priority 2 track

And I prefer to use: "Drive", or "Just Drive", or manual DCC control commands ... and not use AI

Last edited:
I am still no closer to finding a solution

I want Priority 1 passenger trains, and Priority 2 freight trains to travel down the same track toward the same diverging junction

And where the turnout is the junction is set towards the Priority 1 track ... I want Priority 1 passenger trains to travel down the diverging Priority 1 track (which they do, as the turnout is set for that leg of the diverging turnout) ... and then I want the Priority 2 freight trains to come to the junction, and throw the turnout, and instead travel down the other leg of the diverging Priority 2 track

Track priority markers do not function, if those 2 passenger/freight tracks are separate tracks and never join together further down the line

However track priority markers work just fine on a passing siding, and throw turnouts, so trains pass safely

Last edited:
Priority markers have no effect on trains under manual control, they are for AI only.

Priority 1 trains will see tracks marked with priority 2 or 3 as being infinitely long and will avoid them unless there are no other options. Likewise, priority 2 trains will avoid priority 1 and 2 tracks, etc.

Your "short circuit" *should* work but may present other problems such as an AI train taking the short circuit because of other reasons (e.g. track beyond the invisible switch is blocked).

One solution that does not involve "Drive To" or "Navigate To" might be to use track triggers with:-

• one trigger set to respond to the passenger train (loco name, driver or consist) and throws the switch in one direction
  • the other trigger to respond to the freight train (loco name, driver or consist) and throws the switch in the other direction

I got them to work using Invisatrack to fool AI, using the "Drive" command ... It operated only once, throwing the turnout ... But it seems that AI learned that I was fooling it ... As when I operated the session again only minutes later, they ceased to work ... And now they do not work ... This is really funny how they work

I'm currently developing a new trigger that switches a junction according to the priority of the train that triggers it. The trigger is directional (only triggers when the train direction matches the arrow) and the user can specify which junction direction is set for each train priority number. Works with AI and player-driven trains.

Track direction markers are not necessary and are ignored.

If you are interested in testing this asset then send me an e-mail, and I will send the asset when it is ready for testing. You can find my e-mail address inside any of my assets.

Trevor

Back