Adding a fuel consumption Capability to engines

Jimmyp4

I bought up this awhile back on adding a fuel consumption ability to the engines in trainz that don't have them. I got the reply linking to this site http://pages.prodigy.net/rpearson/_wsn/page4.html

I like the idea, but I can't quite figure out how to install it into the engines to make the fuel consumption work. Where do I put the script? how do i make the script work with the engine? If someone could walk me through step by step on how to make the engines consume fuel, that would be great!

thanks

James "Jimmy" Patterson

I can't walk you through it but if you open the locos config file in cmp, clone it just incase it goes wrong. Then add the lines shown in the link to the cloned config file and see if it works. If it doesn't just delete the clone and the original is still ok. I opened the zip file but it was a gs file and I can't open it.

The .gs is the script file that has to be placed in the folder holding the locos config.txt file.

You have to then modify the locos config file to add the script, class tags and the queue container for the fuel queue.

I thought I had given a very brief summary of this on the website but the script was written as a concept development and I put it up there for anyone to use (for non commercial purposes) and develope further.

2 other things:
1) the .gs file (ascii text file can be opened with notepad editor that comes with windows) should be edited as mentioned on the website to indicate the hp rating of the diesel.
2) if the loco already has a custom script included with it, it will need more work than just adding the script as per the discussion above. The 2 scripts will have to be merged together - re programmed so everything gets created from the one class id'd in the class tag. IIRC I may have done that for somebody at one time - I'd have to check if I have a version that is easier to merge into another script.

Bob Pearson

Last edited:
Ten years is a long time. However, i'm trying to do exactly this with some British diesels in T:ANE. I have a few diesels that already come with a usage of diesel script however, that is kind of where my talent ends. I have updated some with better cabs, engine sounds and horns as I go along but i'd really like to get them using fuel too. For example Rail-Sim Class 20 uses fuel and even has a way to increase its consumption but with a Class 23 i've found i've only been able to add the fact it needs fuel. Just doesn't do anything with it now. Do you have updated links to what you are all talking about?

Kind regards and apologies for doing a proper necro on this topic.

Hj

You need to take one of those locomotives with that script apart and see how it works. It maybe only a matter of copying over that script file to your clone and adding the reference to the config.txt file. It sounds daunting, but it's not so difficult. We can walk you through the steps when the time comes should you decide to perform and autopsy on a locomotive.

Should you open up an asset for editing, just remember to revert it to original, otherwise, that asset won't appear in Trainz.

You need to take one of those locomotives with that script apart and see how it works. It maybe only a matter of copying over that script file to your clone and adding the reference to the config.txt file. It sounds daunting, but it's not so difficult. We can walk you through the steps when the time comes should you decide to perform and autopsy on a locomotive.

Should you open up an asset for editing, just remember to revert it to original, otherwise, that asset won't appear in Trainz.

Wouldn't you select submit edits though?

Wouldn't you select submit edits though?

For built-in and DLC you have to revert because there's no other choice. With assets you've installed yourself, you want them to be back to the original state because if you edit them and submit them, they show as modified in Content Manager.

Back