Nickel Plate Road's Clover Leaf District-WIP

illinoiscentral

SARM Volunteer
Please note the name change: "Midwest Dreams"

Do you aspire to run a local goods train down the B&O? How about a priority freight on the Nickel Plate? Have you ever dreamed of running the City of New Orleans at 110 miles per hour on double track?
Then this is the route for you.
Midwest Dreams is set in rural America in the mid-1950's with eight railroads to operate and over 250 miles of track to enjoy.
You'll have hours of sessions at every difficulty level, from taking over a late City of New Orleans from Tolono to Mattoon on schedule, or switching Wabash's Decatur Shops or perhaps you would like to head up to Cayuga to take a meat train to Neoga on it's way to St. Louis?

Included in this route are the Nickel Plate Road tracks from Veedersburg, Indiana to Neoga, Illinois; the Illinois Central from Tolono, Illinois to Neoga, Illinois; the Baltimore & Ohio from Chrisman, Illinois to Decatur, Illinois; the Chicago & Eastern Illinois from Cayuga, Indiana to Tuscola, Illinois; the Pennsylvania from Paris, Illinois to Decatur, Illinois; the New York Central from Charleston, Illinois to Mattoon, Illinois and the Wabash from Veedersburg, Indiana to Decatur, Illinois.

Sound fun? It will be.

Thanks for your interest,
Woody

Last edited:
Please note that all grass, shrubs and trees along the mainline have yet to be added, these are only stages 1 &2 out of five stages.
So, no it won't look this crappy!:hehe:

Cheers,
Woody:wave:

NKP Berks

Just put some Nickel Plate Road 2-8-4s and it'll look like the transition from steam to diesel or just NKP steam, then it'll look like steam's hey day on the Nickel Plate Road.

Thank You very much 5521 and 99al!

I wish I could put some NKP Berkshires on it, but there are none completed to me knowledge.
I believe our member Nickel Plate Road was working on one, but decided not to finish.

I hope to have some more shots up soon, I'm very busy.

Woody

Looks good, I am keeping my eye on this one. Definitely going to be worth getting.

whoa,wait a minute,did the Illinois central have trackage rights to run their trains on NKP trackage, I'm just curious since you started working on the railroad which looks good by the way!:cool:

No, I don't believe they did but NKP does interchanged with IC at Neoga.
NKP runs around the south side of Mattoon, which was a pretty large IC hub at the time.
Mattoon was home to IC's yard and two other branchlines ran out of Mattoon, including the Mattoon, Sullivan and Decatur line.

Cheers,

No, I don't believe they did but NKP does interchanged with IC at Neoga.
NKP runs around the south side of Mattoon, which was a pretty large IC hub at the time.
Mattoon was home to IC's yard and two other branchlines ran out of Mattoon, including the Mattoon, Sullivan and Decatur line.

Cheers,

oh,okay thanks for the response!:cool:

Update 2/7/10

Well, I hope everyone had a good time watching the Super Bowl, sucks that Indy lost. Also sucks that Harvick won the Bud Shootout last night.
Anyway,
I've done some backdating across the line!
Big thanks goes to BNSF50 for "their" Wig Wag crossing signals...
I'll have shots up sometime this week, extremely busy as A.C.E Student Convention and Competition in Bowling Green approaches!:D
If anyone lived along this stretch of track or has any information, I'd love to hear from you.
Just drop me a PM or post here.

Cheers,

Here are some new shots I took from the NYC's "Big Four" line between Mattoon and Charleston.
trainz2010-03-0320-25-55-73.jpg
trainz2010-03-0320-34-59-70.jpg
trainz2010-03-0320-38-37-33.jpg

I went ahead and decided to take the NKP line all the way to Cayuga, possibly Veedersburg. I will also be building the Chicago & Eastern Illinois line from Cayuga to Tuscola, where, it will meet the IC which heads south to Mattoon where it meets the NYC big Four and heads further south to Neoga where it meets the NKP! One big circle of rail systems.

Cheers,

looking from the recent photos,I must say,wow, this line is impressive,your detailing is amazing!;)

Thanks 5521...

The route will be a joy to run. There is probably at least three hours of operating going to be involved. There will be a lot of trackage.
I really feel connected to this route because this is where I come from, of course I didn't live there in 50's but that era has more rail action.
In fact the C&EI from Cayuga to Broadlands is abondoned now, the NYC Big Four is gone from Paris on, PRR's Terra Haute-Decatur Line has been gone for years, the NKP is weeds from Metcalf northward and ends at Neoga at southend. IC is down to one track all the way. The Monon is gone as far as I know.

So yes, this was once a strongly rail area.

Cheers,

Back