Melbourne

Status
Not open for further replies.

lincoln70

City_Loop_exit_Jolimont_Yard.jpg
Hey i was wondering if there is a way to implement this into TRS2009 because im interested in making the Melbourne rail network
:D

Welcome to the forums.

Yes all is possible, just requires a bit of work !!

You will need plans of that part of Melbourne, street and rail. Lots of pics and enthusiasm !!!

I have a few Melbourne trams and trains, Comeng (the train on the left) and Hitachi electric.

You have a few fellow Trainzers in your city, they will respond here.

How about the portals and the city loop can that be done? and how about Flinders Street and Southern Cross stations are there heaps of junctions or is it simple?

G'day Lincoln70,

Hmmm! The entire Melbourne 'suburban' Rail network? Do you have ANY idea of the size of this undertaking? Download and install these two files...

http://www.storage.victrainz.com.au/Jerkers_DEM_maps/Williamstown.cdp

http://www.storage.victrainz.com.au/Jerkers_DEM_maps/HOG_Texture_Set.cdp

...for a 'sample' of the workload that you have ahead of you. Note that the first file is of some 6 MBytes in size. This is a DEM based "barebones" 'route' that covers the inner suburban area of Melbourne. It extends from Richmond (just north of where the image you provide above is located) and extends south to Port Melbourne, including the Webb Dock line and the St. Kilda line (in their original 'heavy rail' configurations). It includes the entire Underground Loop and runs as far as Williamstown (it's namesake), with the 'branch' towards Werribee included as far as Paisley, also including the Altona branch as far as Mobil. It includes the Upfield line as far as Flemington Bridge and the Broadmeadows line as far as Ascot Vale (with the branch to Flemington Racecourse). It extends in the west as far as West Footscray. As you can see, it is but a small section of the total area you wish to cover YET THIS ROUTE IS, AS IT STANDS, 190+ baseboards "large"! Now, you may be intrigued by the term "barebones". This means that the route is no more than the correctly 'shaped' terrain along with certain vector lines painted on as textures (which are provided by the second of the two files above). There are no rails, no road splines, no structures, no 'objects' whatsoever - nada, njet, nichts, niente (did I mention none)!!

You may want to "shift the goalposts" a little! You might also like to avail yourself of the 'camaraderie' that may be obtained from the fellowship of 'like-minded' Victorian Prototype modellers in the Victrainz group, by way of our forum...

http://www.forum.victrainz.com.au

...where you will find much more specific and more dedicated assistance towards your goal (and where you will find that much of what you wish to create is already 'claimed' by others)...

...incidentally, the point work at both Flinders Street and Southern Cross is a mammoth undertaking...

http://www.victorianrailways.net/signaling/completedia/fss57_08.pdf

...(which I am not sure could be accomplished prototypically with Trainz). It could certainly NOT be signalled as per the prototype even if it could be recreated exactly)...

Jerker {:)}

Last edited:
thankyou :D Flinders street looks way more confusing then Southern Cross. But one more question how will create the City Loop that looks the hardest or am I wrong?

G'day Lincoln70,

Yes, Flinders Street is the larger of the two 'termini', although the Station, per se, is as simple as any other of it's size, it is the eastern approaches around "E Box" that get complicated (as you can see in the image - this is "E Box" territory). Incidentally, there are no assets available for either station building, although these are 'on my to do list' (possibly on S301's, as well) when I get around to them (possibly in 2020). The undeground Loop isn't that much of a big deal (compared to something like the London or New York versions thereof - for which there are already quite acceptable assets available for Trainz) but there are no 'components' created that match the VR design that was used throughout it's construction. For "the job" to even look right, all these assets would need to be created...

...I get the impression from your questions, that you are not 'local', lest you would know these things that I am telling you. Your profile indicates an Australian 'address' surely enough but you are not from Victoria, I'll bet...

Im a South Aussie lol I made the Adelaide Railway station circa 1990 on GMAX and that was to be honest easy but Flinders Street station wow. atm im just gonna us asphalt platform splines which will help with curving of the platforms and brick walls and metal roof splines for the underground passages at the ends of the platform. Everytime i come to Melbourne I make sure i ride on the suburban rail network I just wish Adelaide would be as fascinating as your network even though we have comengs on our system which soon will be converted to Electric :D any help with points or anything thing you think on the DLS would help me.

Also
How would you run it in driver? I mean if you want realism you'll need SG, BG DG. (Gauges)
Then you would need a proper timetable for the trains and interurban(regional) trains as well.
I'm not saying you couldn't achieve this, but if you make this, please include an auto session:hehe:
And if you do make it, please stop at about East Richmond, I'm making the Glen Waverley Line from there
Jamie

Hi all,

I've already created the entire Melbourne Metro network for trainz 2004. Only bit missing is the extension from Broadmeadows to Craigieburn. I've also created a couple of scenarios. Alamein shuttles, Williamstown to Sandringham. Did do Sydenham to Werribee via the City Loop but never got around to finishing that scenario.

I haven't done much work on it for a couple of years now. Been meaning to get back into it and finally finish it and upload to the download station. Still quite a bit of over head wiring to be layed out and station scenary to place.

There is quite a bit of content that I would have liked to create for it, but never had the time or patience to learn GMAX and create. Things like the gantry signals, etc... I've created what I've got using objects that already existed on the download station, so its not perfect.

Happy to upload some pictures if your interested.

G'day ScottM,

I cannot recall providing you with a DEM for this route (there is certainly nothing as extensive 'lingering' on my system), so I must presume that your route is not DEM based. Would that be correct?

Their is a website that has all of the Victoria rail network.

Those of us subscribed to this thread saw your original post. If you're not prepared to supply us with the name of the site, it may have been better to delete the post completely.

I'm currently working on extending the 'VicTrainz' Healesville route from Tarrawarra through to Lilydale (when completed, the current map will actually cover down to about Mooroolbark).

However, it will be a little while before it reaches release. V1 should be available soon. It's got some unreleased content on it that I need to replace.

I've also started work on both a Comeng set, and a Tait set, and have a 75% complete L class sitting here, want to get a good recording of the horn, make an accurate Enginespec, and possibly make an interior for it. Plus I will be creating some more 'sparks' to go with them.

I've also got a very nice X'Trapolis model sitting here that I want to finish off for 04. Hopefully a little later this year I will be able to sit down and finish it off, and release the 04 version. 09+ version, which will basically be a higher detail version with a few extra features would have to wait a bit longer though.

Zec

Hey Jerker,

Yeah, its not based on DEM. I did think about getting DEM data and producing the map that way, however it created a massive map file and I also thought Melbourne is pretty flat anyway, so thought I'd just do it on flat base boards. Although from Ferntree Gully to Belgrave I've raised the terain to represent the step gradients there.

Its not perfect, but I've done my best to lay the track and junctions as accuratly as possible. I get enjoyment from running trains on it.

cant wait to see more pics and i am excited for when it will be on the DLS :D one question how did u do the underground city loop? :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back