Uk Chinley & Peak Forest Rly

Just stumbled on this, a great depiction of a route which has loads of operational variety. The shots around Chinley reminded me of my urchin days, Chinley was a great spot to see the trains go by, when it wasn't raining! :)

Lucky man - I wish I'd seen it in those days.

My Gran used to live in Combs in the late 60's to early 70's, but I was a wee nipper then. My memories are from the 1980's with 40s, 25s and 20s on the hopper runs which left quite an impression. But by then the quadruple track had gone of course.

Glad you like it, I'm having a whale of a time doing it.:)

regards
Stovepipe

No, it's the top end of the Derby - Manchester line that travelled through the Peak District National Park - closed in 1968, some of it is still open to freight. It joins with the Hope Valley line (Manchester-Sheffield) at Chinley North jct.

regards
Stovepipe

Work is still progressing on this route. I now have track laid and graded down to Blackwell Mill and Buxton, with the scenics starting to come together. The western end seems to have extended a bit too, with New Mills Central and Strines added.......

Here's a selection from the last few weeks.

stovepipe201007300016.jpg

stovepipe201007300018.jpg

stovepipe201007300015.jpg

stovepipe201007240027.jpg

stovepipe201007240004.jpg

stovepipe201007230000.jpg

stovepipe201007220065.jpg

stovepipe201007220056.jpg

stovepipe201007220055.jpg

stovepipe201007210049.jpg

Last edited:
Just a "heads up", and relatively minor given how good the shots are...

In the time period modelled, train reporting numbers indicating freight ran from 4 (55-60mph) through 9 (30-35 mph). The ones in the driver command didn't come into use until 1969.

Wonderful stuff, Stovepipe. I wonder where are those TP DMUs from? I can't seem to lay my hands on them.

Regards,

Dave

Thanks....

They are by Kemplen and are on the DLS. I've done a couple of minor reskins versions without headboards, which are the ones you see in my screenies. Again, they are on the DLS.

Cheers
Charles

A very impressive looking route, well done.
You ought to enter some of these shots into the screen shot competition.

Just wondering about the coaching stock behind the LMS 4-4-0 in the last pic?

Great screenshots! :D

Paul

Thanks both - the route is in TS09 at present, will have to see if I can get some TS10 screenshots.....

The coaches are the Stanier Period III ones from Pauls Trainz.

cheers
Charles

Looks great! Is it a compatability route? My routes in native mode and i've found it hard to find any decent trees/foliage apart from speed trees.. but you've got it looking goood!

Thanks - yep it is in compatability mode TS2009 (SP1). It looks OK in TS2010 native too, but some of the trees turn shadowy/transparent and would need replacing.

I'm preferring to just keep building it for the moment, rather than faff around with patches, or moving over the route-building to TS2010. Hopefully some more pics soon, though I'm alternating between three different routes at present.

Gosh I live so close to this railway! I'm in romiley in Stockport.
Infact in a couple of weeks I will be running along parts of this line on the Buxton spa express! :eek:
brilliant job on this route! Keep up the good work! :)

Progress?

Hi Stovepipe. Have you had a chance to make any progeress on your Chinley and Peak Forest route?

I noted in another post that you have a Stainmore route. I am thinking of having a go at building that route from Penrith and Tebay to Barnard Castle. Do you plan to upload yours? Or perhaos a few pics? :)

Back