Kettle Valley Railway

I recently started working on this route again.

Trout Creek Canyon Just above Faulder

Trout-Creek-Canyon-above-Faulder.jpg

Falls Creek Bridge in the Coquihalla Canyon

Falls-Creek-Bridge.jpg

Upper Coquihalla Canyon

Coquihalla-Canyon-in-the-works.jpg

Penticton Yard looking East

Kettle-Valley-Railway.jpg

Welcome back Jayturf! Glad to see you are still working on this route. I've been using your nameable CP sign for my route. Works great! Keep it up!

:wave: Thank you for the update, from looking at these recent Pics,

I am in total awe of your splendid looking Mountains, if I could make mine to look like yours, I would be in Orbit about now...:p ..They look so natural and what one would expect to see, like Feather River Canyon area in Northern California etc......

Keep up the good work sir.......You are very gifted....:udrool:

Welcome back Jay !
It's been quite a while.
I've been busy while you were away, I've been busy, away from KVRR. I put KVRR on the shelf because TS12 at the time - last edit Feb 2015 - couldn't handle the route. If I edited for more than 25 - 30 minutes, a crash to desktop was nearly inevitable. Later I moved to TAN:E but the folks at Auran/N3V changed the speedtree version. It took me until June 2017 to move all my routes to tane. (Since inheriting the KVRR frrom you I built routes for all the CPR track-age in BC except Hope to Vancouver.)
The routes are:
CPR BC East: Midway to Donald via Fort Steele;
Esquimalt and Nanaimo: Vancouver Island Victoria to Courtney;
Mountain subdivision: Revelstoke to Donald;
Shuswap subdivision: Monte Creek to Griffin Lake (near Revelstoke) and includes the track to Vernon;
Thompson subdivision: Monte Creek to Hope
Kettle Valley RR: Hope to Midway.

For what it's worth, I thought - back in the day - that Auran would go for larger and larger routes. I was wrong. All my BC routes, all six of them interconnect seamlessly. I had do some modifications to KVRR. I added the line from Brody to Merritt and then to Spence's Bridge on the Fraser Canyon. This was not possible in TRS 2010.

Over the years I have learned not to trust Auran and now N3V to do what I would consider logical. So I have not moved to TRS19. When TAN:E SP4 is finally done and I have a final stable build with all my routes there, I will consider moving to TRS19.

I have talked too long without a picture:
oZl5VAH.jpg
[/IMG]
Very close to Brookmere.

Cheers,
--Michael.

That's a lot of miles! I still have the same computer as I did in 2008 so I can't update to newer versions of trainz and still get good performance.

Thanks everyone for the kind words! I've been putting in some big time lately on this trying to get the scenery right. Did I mention I got CMTM4 running on the route as well! Doing all the switching and dispatching on a 1:1 route is a ton of fun and there are 7 full days of operational fun to be had with cmtm4.

Today I scenicked from Coalmont to Tulameen and put together a very rough representation of the quintette tunnels. I need to learn how to do better 3d models so I could make that entire scene as one giant object. 4 tunnels and 2 bridges in such a short space makes it hard with the traditional tools.

Did a bit more work today between LOIS and LAKEVALE and thought I'd share a bit about my process of adding scenery.

As I used Tranzdem to make the terrain, it has google earth imagery with low resolution on the basemap. While not good for actual texturing it gives good clues to the terrain features around the track. Once the track is laid I add trees with the copy paste tool. I then delete trees around the track right of way and wherever there are open areas on the google earth imagery. After that I can add textures and splines like telegraph poles and bushes.

Trees are in, now clearing the right of way.

working-on-route-between-LOIS-and-LAKEVALE.jpg

Here are a few scenic shots of other areas on the route.

Here's LAKEVALE, now the site of a recreation area.

Lakevale.jpg

Brodie Junction

Brodie-Junction.jpg

McCulloch wye and trestle across McCulloch (Hydraulic) Lake.

McCulloch.jpg

And finally, Brookmere. Still a lot of work to do in this yard.

Brookmere.jpg

Looking prety awesome! I would love to have a DEM to be able to do the US parts, down to Curlew and Republic Washington and down to Orient and Kettle Falls, Washington....

get Tranzdem! It's a bit of work to trace out the route in google earth and save all the image files but it's totally worth it. I also think doing the old VV&E (great northern) line from Princeton to Grand forks would be fun. I also have a route from castlegar to rossland in the works but now I'm thinking of including nelson, slocan all the way to grand forks....

Back