ACS/non-ACS coupling question

richardjh

When an ACS-equipped coach is placed behind a non-ACS loco it deploys its coupler, but the hoses remain hanging. Is there a way to make the hoses rise too? Thanks.

You can't make the hose on the non-ACS loco rise. The ACS coach probably doesn't deploy it's hoses when a non-ACS vehicle is coupled to it because it would look silly.

Paul

What I had in mind was to add fixed risen hoses to the loco mesh. Wouldn't look silly when coupled (although would when not!)

You would have to create two extra meshes to carry the attachment point for the ACS hoses/couplers at each end of the loco. If you are going to go to that trouble you might as well make the loco full ACS, but then of course you would have two couplers/hoses at each end if they are part of the loco mesh...

Ideally the original creator would remove the coupler and hoses from the mesh, add the ACS attachment points and write a script to control them. It's not that hard to do, but of course it's extremely unlikely to happen.

Paul

Hi Paul
I do have the mesh from the original creator with a licence to modify it for my own use. I did add attachment points and tried to get CoupleStar to work on it but the CoupleStar script caused an error with the Jet script and it was undriveable.
I wonder how one piece of rolling stock identifies another as ACS (or Bluestar) equipped? A flag of some sort? I had hoped it might be possible to make the loco masquerade as ACS-enabled in some way.
Richard

BlueStar and CoupleStar (which are actually the same thing) read the BlueStar tags in the config of the next vehicle in the train to find out what sort of couplers and hoses the other vehicle has. ACS has a library that sends messages to the vehicles in the train when a couple/decouple event occurs and can handle more cases (steam heat hoses for example) than BlueStar.

If you have the mesh you should be able to use CoupleStar, but things get tricky if the loco already has a script as you need to make one script out of the two.

Paul

..so it may be as simple as adding a couple of dummy Bluestar tags...I'll give it a go. (The loco doesn't have its own script - it seems to be the hard-wired Jet coding that objects)

Back