New Aircraft

Yeah but I heard someone say the United States Air Corps, then I heard the USAAF all in one day and I thought the USAF fought in WW2 (explains why I didn't get really good marks on my Pacific Theatre project)
A less confused
Jamie

Yeah but I heard someone say the United States Air Corps, then I heard the USAAF all in one day and I thought the USAF fought in WW2 (explains why I didn't get really good marks on my Pacific Theatre project)
A less confused
Jamie
Hi James,

I thought my memory was right about this but I checked anyway. On things like this I love to look at the Wikipedia Site, it has heaps of information about a lot of things here;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Main_Page

On your question here though, during World War 2, there was no US Air Force, it was actually an Army Air Force. The US Air Force was formed after WWII, WWII ended in the Pacific on September 2, 1945

The United States Air Force (USAF) is the aerial warfare and space warfare branch of the U.S. armed forces and one of the American uniformed services. Initially part of the United States Army, the USAF was formed as a separate branch of the military on 18 September 1947 under the National Security Act of 1947.[1] It is the most recent branch of the U.S. military to be formed.
If you want to read a bit more here is the link;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USAF

Hope this helps,

Craig
:):):)

It was the smaller B-25 Mitchell twin engined bomber in the Doolittle raid and even they had great difficulty in taking off from the carrier.

A quote from the movie Pearl Harbor (U.S, 2001)

"Now even your old grandma can get a B-25 off a mile long runway. But it's my job to teach you to do it in 467 feet, because at 468 feet, you're dead."

Good, no pressure then!

The Gatling gun on this Warthog is great to see and hear, the sound is really good.

The other new Aircraft on Ian's Website are all equally as good, these just fit a layout I am working on withr nbrettoner (Noel). As I said, they still need some more work until completed and Ian has plans for some more but I am not sure which Aircraft he is planning on doing. It would not matter anyway as they will be all worth while to any layout people are working on or planning.

Craig

That is spooky as I was only looking for a decent looking plane to fly over my route and this thread is here:)

Those Spitfires look great and cannot wait for these to come out, as I can only find a piper plane on the DLs that's drivable and its little putt putt engine is pathetic LOL

You cannot beat the buzz when a Spitfire screams past you with that roar of its Merlin Engine in full thrust.

Try this for size :) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2nlGN6aS8g

Last edited:
A quote from the movie Pearl Harbor (U.S, 2001)

"Now even your old grandma can get a B-25 off a mile long runway. But it's my job to teach you to do it in 467 feet, because at 468 feet, you're dead."

Good, no pressure then!
Best movie! (A bit long though)
Jamie

We were watching it in Year 8 Japanese class at the end of 2009. It took us three or four lessons to finish it!

Hello all,

Very interesting topic to read here in the forum. There have been some interesting questions brought up regarding various World War II bombers as far as types and where they were used. Here is some clarification.

The B-17 was known as the Flying Fortress. One of the most famous B-17's was known as the "Memphis Belle" and had a movie made about it. Memphis Belle became famous when the crew managed to complete 25 missions for it's tour of duty in Europe. The B-17 was used primarily in Europe and a few were used in the Pacific. They were not used to hit targets in mainland Japan.

The B-24 was known as the Liberator and was used mainly in Europe and North Africa. It looks similar to the B-25 in many ways but it had four engines, not two like the B-25 has.
The B-24 was not as famous as the B-17 but it was used all over the world, similar to the B-17.

The B-25 was known as the Mitchell and was also used worldwide. This plane was used in the famous Doolittle Raid in 1942. That raid launched B-25's from the deck of the USS Hornet to bomb Tokyo and was a MAJOR morale boost to the country.
The B-25 was considered as a medium bomber because of it's bomb capacity. The air and ground crews loved this plane. They were easy to work on, fly, and modify for just about any kind of mission you can imagine.

The B-29 was known as the Superfortress and was used in the Pacific theater during World War II and later saw action in Korea. This plane is famous for being the only aircraft to ever drop nuclear weapons in anger. To be more specific, they dropped bombs over Hiroshima and Nagasaki.
This bomber redifined the term Heavy Bomber until the MASSIVE B-36 and B-52 bombers came into service.

Hopefully this clears up any kind of confusion and answers some of your aircraft related questions. Oh, and just to keep with the theme of this forum, yes, trains were used to move aircraft parts, munitions, and manpower all across the country. The Big Boy was used extensively for this role during the War.

Yep...

The B-17 Flying Fortress was the predecessor of the B-29 Superfortress and first flew in the late 1930s. It was mainly used in the European war, operating from England with the 8th USAAC in daylight operations. The RAF also used them but mainly in a maritime role as they could not carry as big a bomb load as the Avro Lancaster. I suspect the B-24 was preferred for the Pacific area because of it's greater range.

No, Angelah, it was the smaller B-25 Mitchell twin engined bomber in the Doolittle raid and even they had great difficulty in taking off from the carrier.

Oddly, and that very evening, there was a program on Sky that had that raid in it and I stand corrected. Yes, they most certainly were the B-25 bombers.
I wonder at their take-off technique, as the first one lifts so slowly and with such a short run too!

Thanks Teddytoot,

Angela

....I wonder at their take-off technique, as the first one lifts so slowly and with such a short run too!....
Angela
Remember the Hornet was steaming flat out into the wind, so the airspeed of the B25s appears slower than it actually was. Even so they would have to open up to full throttle on the brakes to get maximum thrust. Eric Brown's autobiography, Wings on my Sleeve, gives some good accounts of take-off in difficult conditions during his test flying and gives one the flavour of the problems.

The B-25's were stripped of almost everything and made light enough to be able to get off of the ship's deck. When the final plane's turn to take off came, the wheels were off the deck before it reached the end of the ship.
They were not able to land where they wanted to because they were spotted by an enemy ship. That ship was sunk but it was felt that the risk was too great to keep the planes on deck. They launched early and they were unable to land safely. They were forced to crash land their planes in China.
The Pearl Harbor movie had about 90% of the facts correct. It was a Hollywood story based on real events. What is not shown in that movie is the fact that Jimmy Doolittle was given the Congressional Medal of Honor for this mission.

Look, I hate to be picky and all, but aren't we getting just a tiny bit off topic here? We should get some more screenshots of planes, just to stop this thread being closed or deleted.
Thanks,
Scottling.

Look, I hate to be picky and all, but aren't we getting just a tiny bit off topic here? We should get some more screenshots of planes, just to stop this thread being closed or deleted.
Thanks,
Scottling.
It is getting a little off topic, still it cold be worse :hehe:.

Though I would tend to agree, I never really expected the sort of replies this thread has received.

Craig

Hi Guys, thanks again for the interest.

I have returned to work on the aircraft, when the DLS returns to normal there should be some uploads.

I have added some animation to the A10 Warthog. The Gatling gun rotates and it now fires Paveway missiles. There are still some glitches with the scripting, we are always pushing the limits of Trainz. :)

a10_3450.jpg

Ian

Last edited:
WOW Ian -- you have really out done yourself on this one, sir!!!:)

Incredible --- simply incredible !!:p :p :p

Thanks for these!!!

Ishie

I just sent Ian an email saying I would not tell anyone about the missiles. Image what I said when I saw a short video he sent me.

These look great, Ian has really shown this time he is one of the master class creators around.

Congratulations Ian, great work.

Craig

Just a suggestion-For the guns on the aircraft, you could make a rule so the AI fires, an you can have very realistic dogfights in Trainz.

Back