Page 3 of 314 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast

Thread: New Aircraft

Blog Entries

Are you going to make B-17's? I think there the 'superfortress' the ones that (sadly) bombed Hiroshima and Nagasaki
    Jamie

Nah, B-17s didn't bomb Hiroshima and Nagasaki, they were B-29s.
    Efficiency Through Resolve

Blog Entries

Then what did the B-17's do? Were they the Flying 'Superfortress'?
    Jamie

United States of America, Florida, Crestview

The B-17 was the Flying Fortress. Some were used in the Pacific war but I don't think any bombed Japan. B-24s were used widely in the Pacific but again not to bomb Japan.
    For the Air Force (Army Air Corps) that was done by B-29s, except for one B-25 raid.
    At least that is what I recall.
    Dell XPS8700 i5 cpu, Win10, 12G RAM, Asus GTX745 4G, HD 1T

Default B-24's

Quote Originally Posted by SuperFudd View Post
    The B-17 was the Flying Fortress. Some were used in the Pacific war but I don't think any bombed Japan. B-24s were used widely in the Pacific but again not to bomb Japan.
    For the Air Force (Army Air Corps) that was done by B-29s, except for one B-25 raid.
    At least that is what I recall.

Weren't the B-24's used on the Doolittle Raid? Launched from a carrier... an amazing feat.
    B-17's were the Fortress, named because of the amount of protective armament carried. The larger B-29's were the Super Fortresses I believe. Dropping the Bomb needed a special turn they practiced to get away from the bomb's blast.

Angela

Blog Entries

The B-17 Flying Fortress was the predecessor of the B-29 Superfortress and first flew in the late 1930s. It was mainly used in the European war, operating from England with the 8th USAAC in daylight operations. The RAF also used them but mainly in a maritime role as they could not carry as big a bomb load as the Avro Lancaster. I suspect the B-24 was preferred for the Pacific area because of it's greater range.

No, Angelah, it was the smaller B-25 Mitchell twin engined bomber in the Doolittle raid and even they had great difficulty in taking off from the carrier.
    Last edited by teddytoot; January 12th, 2010 at 06:31 AM. Reason: Corrected designation
    John,
    (A bear of little brain)

Blog Entries

What's the USAAF?
    Jamie

Quote Originally Posted by JJDella View Post
    What's the USAAF?
    Jamie
    USAAF - United States Army Air Force, the predecessor of USAF.

Blog Entries

I thought it was the United States Air Corp instead of USAAF
    Jamie

I though you was questioning the abbreviation of USAAF.

Blog Entries

Correct - my booboo
    John,
    (A bear of little brain)

Blog Entries

Yeah but I heard someone say the United States Air Corps, then I heard the USAAF all in one day and I thought the USAF fought in WW2 (explains why I didn't get really good marks on my Pacific Theatre project)
    A less confused
    Jamie

Quote Originally Posted by JJDella View Post
    Yeah but I heard someone say the United States Air Corps, then I heard the USAAF all in one day and I thought the USAF fought in WW2 (explains why I didn't get really good marks on my Pacific Theatre project)
    A less confused
    Jamie
    Hi James,

I thought my memory was right about this but I checked anyway. On things like this I love to look at the Wikipedia Site, it has heaps of information about a lot of things here;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Main_Page

On your question here though, during World War 2, there was no US Air Force, it was actually an Army Air Force. The US Air Force was formed after WWII, WWII ended in the Pacific on September 2, 1945

The United States Air Force (USAF) is the aerial warfare and space warfare branch of the U.S. armed forces and one of the American uniformed services. Initially part of the United States Army, the USAF was formed as a separate branch of the military on 18 September 1947 under the National Security Act of 1947.[1] It is the most recent branch of the U.S. military to be formed.
    If you want to read a bit more here is the link;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USAF

Hope this helps,

Craig

Member since August 31, 2002

Quote Originally Posted by teddytoot View Post
    It was the smaller B-25 Mitchell twin engined bomber in the Doolittle raid and even they had great difficulty in taking off from the carrier.
    A quote from the movie Pearl Harbor (U.S, 2001)

"Now even your old grandma can get a B-25 off a mile long runway. But it's my job to teach you to do it in 467 feet, because at 468 feet, you're dead."

Good, no pressure then!
    Got gimmie pigs? No sweat...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by seeseeme View Post

The Gatling gun on this Warthog is great to see and hear, the sound is really good.

The other new Aircraft on Ian's Website are all equally as good, these just fit a layout I am working on withr nbrettoner (Noel). As I said, they still need some more work until completed and Ian has plans for some more but I am not sure which Aircraft he is planning on doing. It would not matter anyway as they will be all worth while to any layout people are working on or planning.

Craig
    That is spooky as I was only looking for a decent looking plane to fly over my route and this thread is here

Those Spitfires look great and cannot wait for these to come out, as I can only find a piper plane on the DLs that's drivable and its little putt putt engine is pathetic LOL

You cannot beat the buzz when a Spitfire screams past you with that roar of its Merlin Engine in full thrust.

Try this for size http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2nlGN6aS8g
    Last edited by chefbyte; January 12th, 2010 at 04:07 PM.
    Pete - ECML route crew member

Webmaster-http://www.55002koyli.com