New Aircraft

The Lancaster was approved yesterday and is now on the DLS. The original gmax mesh was supplied by Wecsailor, used with approval.

lancaster2450.jpg

While I spent quite a bit of time adjusting the mesh, to make the animated landing gear, I am not completely happy with it. Anyway, I hope it is a useful addition. It does not have any special features, just the rear machine guns uses the horn sound.

I will upload the DC3 and the Sunderland in a few days.

Ian

Hi Ian,

Yes I know it's naughty to include previous piccies in quotes, :eek: but it looks so good!. :Y::clap::D

Ian I echo Craig's comments & gratitude, & excitedly await the Sunderlands & DC3 as well.
Yet again "extra goodies"!!! :)

Thanks guys, Noel and Craig are good testers.

ad602000, the original file from Whecsailor had the turret under the fuselage, so I left it there. I have drawings showing the Lancaster B Mk I had a large blister there and the Mk II had a small turret, I know it was not common but there were a number of variations.

This is a screenshot forum, if you are using the aircraft how about posting some pictures? :D

Ian

Last edited:
This is a screenshot forum, if you are using the aircraft how about posting some pictures?

So you have that problem too Ian:hehe: I didnt know they had a turret under there, same as I didnt know a later variant used bristol radial engines, you learn something new every day. Nice job Ian.

cheers
pete

mypic104.jpg

Well keeping the screen shot theme going ,here is one of Ian's earlier creations flying over San Francisco.

And they only get better & better.

Norm.

Nice picture Norm, thanks, I still like that helicopter.

The Sunderland flying boat is now on the DLS. It is supposed to land on water, so please be careful or the maintenance crew may have something to say. This model represents the Ansett one that used to operate out of Rose Bay Sydney.

Invisible track is set 3 metres above the water, as for my ships. I have updated all my City Cat landing models adding an extra track further from the dock, so these can be used for the flying boat - as I said you need to develop a whole system for operation when doing uncommon models.

This is one model where the problem of automatically retracting landing gear under AI does not occurs. :)

Ian

....It is supposed to land on water, so please be careful or the maintenance crew may have something to say....
Don't worry too much. During WW2 at least one Sunderland did land on a grass airfield in an emergency and, as I remember the account, the damage to the underside was actually not too great.

As an aside, am I right that Aquila called their Sunderland conversions Tasmans? We called them Sandringhams (Solents were conversions of the later Seaford). VH-BRC still exists and is on show in a non-flying condition at the Southampton Hall of Aviation.

Ansett airlines had a converted Sunderland flying boat, it went from Lord Howe Island to Rose Bay Sydney

There were a number of different flying boat versions generally known as Short Sunderland. The former BOAC aircraft used by Aquilla Airways has been referred to as a Sunderland III, this reference:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Short_Sunderland

The DC3 aircraft are on the DLS, note there are three versions, the RAAF version is a Dakota C47.

Ian

Just to clear up the Lancaster turret query. Initially a Nash & Thomson FN-64 periscope sighted twin .303 ventral turret was mounted but it was found to be awkward to use and little used in Bomber Command's night sorties. It was therefore discontinued and removed from most aircraft although the Mk2 seems to have kept it. Later the familiar bulge housing the H2S ground scanning radar took it's place and is the bulge that you see on most photos. There is some evidence that at a later stage of the war there were some unofficial ventral machine gun mounts fitted.

So you can use either version, but if you want to model one of the later raids (could Trainz stand a 1000 bomber raid?) then you need an H2S version. :)

Last edited:
Sorry guys, I seem to have not visited for a while.

Great news with the Lancaster, Sunderland and DC-3 Vulcan!:D I recently converted to TS2010, so my TRS2006 Southern Railway 1940's route isn't being worked on right now, not until I copy my local folder across.

Trust me Ian, your aircraft will have a happy home on my route. To really create that Battle of Britain feel, I'm afraid you will need to build some German aircraft as well. Not too many this time, here's a list of all I think are necessary:

Heinkel He-111 bomber
Messerschmitt Bf-109 fighter and Me-110 heavy fighter
Focke Wulf FW-190 fighter
Junkers Ju-87 'Stuka' bomber and Ju-88 'Schwalbe' bomber

A fun job, I do understand you have a lot on your mind already, but I hope you can eventually reach this stage.

Happy Planezing,;)
Scott.

Ian..

I seem to have a problem with the Douglas Aircraft. In railyard the horn gives the announcement, the lights work, but there are no wheels showing for use with the pantograph button. I have downloaded all dependencies and TO lists every thing that is needed. Can you enlighten me to what may be the problem.

Thanks Dave.

Thanks for the information John, not sure whether G for George ever had the under turret or blister.

Don, interesting info on your webpages.

Scott, more to add to the list. The Bf109 might be one to do.:)

Dave, I never use Railyard, but I have just had a look and the undercarriage shows for all three Douglas aircraft, and all functions work from the buttons. The panto action is four stage, it allows for a second panto on a train. You do need to toggle the panto button twice to get it to move for a single panto. This applies in Driver as well.

I am not sure what the problem might be, there is a separate landing gear model for each aircraft, make sure you have them as dependencies, though you mention that you have.

I use TS2009 now, you must be using an earlier version of Trainz to get TO to work I assume.

Ian

A friend is helping with some scripting for the 747s and A380 aircraft, so it will be a little while till they are tested and ready. In the meantime...........

The tile rotor Osprey V22 aircraft is working nicely. This is the tilt sequence operated by the B key. The tilt travels from the horizontal to the vertical in one animation, it is fun trying to get it to clear the runway before the rotors comes vertical.

osprey640.jpg

While I think it is reasonable with the spinning disk rotors, I think the version with actual blades animated is a must for this special aircraft, there is no stuttering or running backwards in TS2009, the picture does not do it justice:

osprey4450.jpg

The aircraft tilts the rotors and uses a short takeoff run, or vertically for smaller loads. The rotor is so large it would dig into the ground if tilted fully vertical.

It works nicely with my helicopter lift tables, but large aircraft models like these prevent operation of the table red arrows manually. You need to use the Move Turntable rule when the aircraft is on the ground level. There will be a static version.

Ian

Last edited:
Wow:udrool: --- what a delight:wave: -- I don't spend much time in front of a pc these days now that my family is growing, but it's really a great to see your new toys for trainz!!! :wave:

Ishie

Back