New Aircraft

Josh,

I vote for an Hong Kong airport: Chek Lap Kok or the former Kai Tak.

You may found there aircrafts from everywhere in the world.

Pascal

Here is a ton of progress.

stmsoccer_20110510_0000.jpg

stmsoccer_20110510_0001.jpg

On approach
stmsoccer_20110510_0002.jpg

stmsoccer_20110510_0003.jpg

stmsoccer_20110510_0004.jpg

stmsoccer_20110510_0005.jpg

stmsoccer_20110510_0006.jpg

Josh

Hey Josh.

You have a couple of Pilots there that will be hauled over the coals for being below the minimum height on approach over the City.

Norm.

It was the real approach for the Kai Tak Airport and maybe even lower.

Josh

-Wiki-

Runway 13 approach

The landing approach using runway 13 at Kai Tak was spectacular and world-famous. To land on runway 13, an aircraft first took a descent heading northeast. The aircraft would pass over the crowded harbour, and then the very densely populated areas of Western Kowloon. This leg of the approach was guided by an IGS (Instrument Guidance System, a modified ILS) after 1974.
Upon reaching a small hill marked with a checkerboard in red and white, used as a visual reference point on the final approach (in addition to the middle marker on the Instrument Guidance System), the pilot needed to make a 47° visual right turn to line up with the runway and complete the final leg. The aircraft would be just two nautical miles (3.7 km) from touchdown, at a height of less than 1,000 feet (300 m) when the turn was made. Typically the plane would enter the final right turn at a height of about 650 feet (200 m) and exit it at a height of 140 feet (43 m) to line up with the runway. This manoeuver has become widely known in the piloting community as the "Hong Kong Turn" or "Checkerboard Turn".
Landing the runway 13 approach was already difficult with normal crosswinds since even if the wind direction was constant, it was changing relative to the aeroplane during the 47° visual right turn. The landing would become even more challenging when crosswinds from the northeast were strong and gusty during typhoons. The mountain range northeast of the airport also makes wind vary greatly in both speed and direction. From a spectator's point of view, watching large Boeing 747s banking at low altitudes and taking big crab angles during their final approaches was quite thrilling. Despite the difficulty, the runway 13 approach was nonetheless used most of the time due to the prevailing wind direction in Hong Kong.
Due to the turn in final approach, ILS was not available for runway 13 and landings had to follow a visual approach. This made the runway unusable in low visibility conditions.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2-5GEExT8o&feature=relmfu
Cathay Pacific Boeing 747 landing Hong Kong Kai Tak Airport 香港 啟德機場 peri road

Last edited:
Kai Tak

Impressive shots Josh! like the real thing..

The must was to be seated on the right side of the aircraft, in order to see the city during the last turn...:eek:

Pascal

The new kid

OK, so I know this is gonna sound stupid!

Are the planes I am seeing on here from a plains sim. or are you guys creating and using them on trainz?

Told ya it would sound stupid. But I'm new, like a week or so new. Retired, lots of time and learning, leaning, learning..

Either way, Great job. They look very realistic.;)

Last edited:
OK, so I know this is gonna sound stupid!

Are the planes I am seeing on here from a plains sim. or are you guys creating and using them on trainz?

Told ya it would sound stupid. But I'm new, like a week or so new. Retired, lots of time and learning, leaning, learning..

Either way, Great job. They look very realistic.;)

All created and reskined by the gifted members of Trainz for Trainz, for which we owe many thanks.

Gordon

Hi Guys,

My models are original creations for Trainz, they would have less polys than those created for Flight Sim, and may not looks as good, but that is necessary to preserve frame rates.

I have been working on the shadow meshes for the 747, A380, A320, and 767 for TS2012, perhaps I should upload them soon?

Auran have changed the shadows to now be cast on the body of a model. As the shadow mesh has to be much simpler than the main model, this can make the shadow a bit jagged when seen on the fuselage side, we have to compromise sometimes.

Ian

Back