Milw 261

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well seeing how Steve Sandburg just talked at a convention a few days ago about about this I don't believe it is dead. If you don't want to see what we are talking about here don't click on the thread.

it's been dead, let it die unless you have news.
I reckon it's about time you be less of a jerk to people about bumping threads, learn how to ignore, you'll have to do that a lot in life or else you're in sure trouble. You've really been making me mad with you comments to those people, they're human too, what makes you better than them?

As far as 261 news, The sale fail through, the reports were made by Sterling Rail before the sale was final and the to-be buyer backed out for lack of financial support. This story is very far from over, definitely not dead.

1218 had issues stacked against it to begin with. Not the least of which being its size.

Which reminds me. Years ago I attended a small Catholic school in Gastonia NC with a boy named John who simply LOVED that locomotive. If he's here and see this, J mate, you mind bouncing me a msg. Just curious if you're still round.

1218 had issues stacked against it to begin with. Not the least of which being its size.

Which reminds me. Years ago I attended a small Catholic school in Gastonia NC with a boy named John who simply LOVED that locomotive. If he's here and see this, J mate, you mind bouncing me a msg. Just curious if you're still round.
STRASBURG SHOULD BRING THE 1218 AND 611 BACK IN STEAM IS THEY CAN TRIPE HEAD WITH STRASBURG 475 THAT WOULD BE A GOOD TRIPE HEADER WITH THREE NORFOLK AND WESTERN STEAMERS;)

Well I believe I have read in a couple places that The friends have no interest in 265. The last I have seen is they were still seeing what was happening to the 261 and it's sale, also a CB&Q 4-8-4 and some first generation diesels.

it is like johnny cash hurt the owners of 261 hurt the steam railroading world what have they become steam railroading sweetset steamer :'( all aboard and may milw 261 run on the strasburg railroad.

I reckon it's about time you be less of a jerk to people about bumping threads, learn how to ignore, you'll have to do that a lot in life or else you're in sure trouble. You've really been making me mad with you comments to those people, they're human too, what makes you better than them?

As far as 261 news, The sale fail through, the reports were made by Sterling Rail before the sale was final and the to-be buyer backed out for lack of financial support. This story is very far from over, definitely not dead.

Whoa,settle down now, and yes I agee with you on the part where the man who was suppose to buy the engine backed out at the last minute again as you pointed out due to support issues which was why the sale agreement could not be reached, well all we can do is hope that someone else will buy her and find her a good home and a railroad that is willing to let her operate!;)

strasburg 261

Whoa,settle down now, and yes I agee with you on the part where the man who was suppose to buy the engine backed out at the last minute again as you pointed out due to support issues which was why the sale agreement could not be reached, well all we can do is hope that someone else will buy her and find her a good home and a railroad that is willing to let her operate!;)
strasburg has a good steamers if they add milw 261 to there roster the 261 will steam again on the strasburg railroad:cool:

strasburg has a good steamers if they add milw 261 to there roster the 261 will steam again on the strasburg railroad:cool:

Sounds like a good idea,but will the friends of the 261 will aprove of that idea, I don't know,we'll have to see,otherwise we don't know what will happen to her!;)

There was a well written report based on a press conference that Steve Sandburg made recently. To sum it up, it seems that

- The National Railway Museum is asking for not only too much money for 261, but will only accept a 10 year lease, instead of a prefered 15 year lease to coincide with the steam engine "1472 day inspection"
- There will likely not be steam in the Twin Cities this year (though there is rumor that some passenger cars will be run with Nickel Plate 765)
- None of the Burlington 4-8-4s are close enough to be easily transported to Minneapolis
- The group (now called "Railroading Heritage of Midwest America) is looking into Burlington 4-6-4 #4000 in LaCrosse, WI to restore for future excursions
- The person who bought #261 knows very little about trains, and will only buy the engine if a deal can be worked out where he can make some money off the engine

It is sad that 261 will most likely be going back to a museum that has become a black sheep lately in the railfan community, but at least it will be indoors and will likely be kept in good (cosmetic) shape.

And because I feel like it, here's why 261 will not be going to Strasburg anytime soon.
- It is too far away
- It is too expensive to ship by rail
- It is too large for Strasburg to use. It's wheelbase is even larger than #90, it is far too heavy, and most of all, as #90 is large enough to pull the large nine car passenger train upgrade, than #261 is not at all needed
- A few nine mile round trips would be a waste of the #261's mainline potential
- It would clash heavily with the railroad's "1920s" theme
- It would require a $225,000 purchase, and then a (at least) $400,000 restoration to brought up to code
- The railroad already has four steam engines that are capable of leading trains, and two more engines awaiting their turn in the shop should restoration be needed
- The railroad would think it's a waste of money to run 261 (or anything bigger)
- The railfans would think it's a waste of money to run a an engine the size of 261
- Anyone who knows a thing about modern steam railroading knows that a mainline engine on a tourist railroad would be a waste of money
- I've spent more time on this that is nessasary

Seriously dpfan1... you might want to do some research first before spouting bizarre ideas like that

- Jonathan

There was a well written report based on a press conference that Steve Sandburg made recently. To sum it up, it seems that

- The National Railway Museum is asking for not only too much money for 261, but will only accept a 10 year lease, instead of a prefered 15 year lease to coincide with the steam engine "1472 day inspection"
- There will likely not be steam in the Twin Cities this year (though there is rumor that some passenger cars will be run with Nickel Plate 765)
- None of the Burlington 4-8-4s are close enough to be easily transported to Minneapolis
- The group (now called "Railroading Heritage of Midwest America) is looking into Burlington 4-6-4 #4000 in LaCrosse, WI to restore for future excursions
- The person who bought #261 knows very little about trains, and will only buy the engine if a deal can be worked out where he can make some money off the engine

It is sad that 261 will most likely be going back to a museum that has become a black sheep lately in the railfan community, but at least it will be indoors and will likely be kept in good (cosmetic) shape.

And because I feel like it, here's why 261 will not be going to Strasburg anytime soon.
- It is too far away
- It is too large for Strasburg to use. It's wheelbase is even larger than #90, it is far too heavy, and most of all, as #90 is large enough to pull the large nine car passenger train upgrade, than #261 is not at all needed
- It would require a $225,000 purchase, and then a (at least) $400,000 restoration to brought up to code
- The railroad already has four steam engines that are capable of leading trains, and two more engines awaiting their turn in the shop should restoration be needed
- The railroad would think it's a waste of money to run 261 (or anything bigger)
- The railfans would think it's a waste of money to run a an engine the size of 261
- Anyone who knows a thing about modern steam railroading knows that a mainline engine on a tourist railroad would be a waste of money

Seriously dpfan1... you might want to do some research first before spouting bizarre ideas like that

- Jonathan
261 should run trains between strasburg and altoona thorught the horseshoe curve with two NS diesels help 261 climb the grade all aborad:cool:

- It is too far away

- Jonathan
261 IS MAINLINE STEAMER BUT IT needs a good home like strasburg. 261 CAN WITH 90 DURING THE SUMMER AND DURING TRAINS AND TROOPS;)

Last edited:
There is no room at Strasburg for another steamer. The 4 they already have, plus two narrow gauge Locos being restored there (RGS 20 and EBT 14 soon).

Last edited:
Trust Me I know this. I am a regular up there, so I know a lot about the EBT, Not as much as a lot as Lee Rainey....But A lot
yea railfan and railroad said EBT 14 is going to be restore and yes i rode behind EBT 14 AT MY FRIST vist to the EBT:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back