Trying to make AI drivers back up

pitkin

I am trying to have an AI driver go to a trackmark, then back up to another trackmark. Instead of backing up, the train moves forward again, presumably I guess to go around the layout to the requested trackmark. I have tried several Change Direction driver commands, but none of them seem to work when they are imbeded into the stored driver commands for that driver. The instant execute driver command works when done manually, but it seems you have to abandon the schedule to do this.

Any ideas on how to run this train with AI.

Thanks

Have you tried using the Autopilot command along with the Change Direction command? I've found this works quiet well for me.

Have you tried using the Autopilot command along with the Change Direction command? I've found this works quiet well for me.

I see the autopilot driver command, but the only menu picks are

activate
Stop at trackmark

Is there some other way to invoke the change direction for this command?

thanks

You'll need to place to place a trackmark somewhere before the trackmark you want to drive to, to cancel the autopilot command. My commands look something like this:

Change train direction.
Autopilot (stop at trackmark "X") X is whatever you name your trackmark.
Drive via trackmark "X"
Drive to trackmark ( whatever trackmark you want to drive to)

I hope this helps.

I think you will need to DLoad the "Change Direction" command--- or maybe enable it in Driver Commands.

If the AI driver wants to go round the loop to the destination trackmark there are only two likely reasons. Either (a) the route from 'A' to 'B' is shorter going forwards (the AI will always take the shortest route) or (b) there is an obstruction behind the train preventing it going backwards.

The quickest fix for (a) is to place a new trackmark behind the train, call it 'Z' and instruct the AI to Drive Via Z > Drive To B. The only fix for an obstruction is find it and remove it...

Andy :)

apparent solution to backing up

It appears that the problem is solved by placing a WAIT command between the DRIVE TO TRACKMARK and the CHANGE TRAIN DIRECTION. This is a very long passenger train, and I am thinking that the train was still moving when the attempt to change direction was made.

Thanks for your comments.

I have found that using the STOP command, KUID:131986:150150, is needed for whenever you want AI to rethink its direction and path. With the wait command you need to figure out how long it takes for the train to come to a complete stop. With the STOP command AI will wait till the train stops completely before attempting any other command.

Back