Young People And Railways (how old are you?)

calrail

Trainz Rules
People are saying that the young generation are not in to trains any more but therre are lots of young people into railways at the moment for example I am one of them. I'm 13! how old are you? please post

Last edited:
HAHA! Thats funny, it sounds similar to the tried-and-true "Americans don't like trains, they like cars; it symbolises their rugged individualism and freedom". Anyways, that thought aside, I'm 16, and railways are in my genetics. I can think of 50% of my family that have worked on the rails, whether currently or in the past.

MIGHT I add, my Grandad was the first to drive a Diesel streamliner(F7s I'm assuming) for the Baltimore & Ohio Railway(he's been dead for 40 years now though, he was born in the early 20s)

Last edited:
I'm 13. Unfortunately, the interest in steam power is dying, as the older generations that grew up with, worked with and saw steam power are passing on. I LOVE steam power, as well as electric, diesel and traction as well as other less common forms. :wave:

19, started at about 6...

Been a volunteer at Puffing Billy for 13 years now (maybe longer actually), although until I was about 13 I only worked in the shop unofficially as such. After I turned 13, I became a conductor on the trains.

Now, I go to the 'young volunteer' days (got a few friends that join me, and it's fun to just to 'mindless' busywork, and I get to introduce the odd new non railfan to the railway for a day), and go to the museum at Menzies Creek to help with getting it re-opened :D

Seriously though. Part of the issue with younger generations not being into railways is the way that they are treated on the railways. It's good at the Menzies Creek museum in this sense, as we welcome anyone who's willing to work :) Plus we also get to play with the stuff we restore :)

But many railways take their volunteers for granted, and this can start to bring them down. They end up treating volunteers poorly, and this causes volunteers to leave. And the younger people do tend to see these sorts of actions more clearly, and they simply stay away...

Of course, the other problem is that most don't have anything for those younger generations to strive for. They are all established, for the most part. Most aren't opening new sections of line, or restoring a new engine (as in the smaller unimportant engines that get shown off, not the big ones that only the 'trusted' people are allowed to work with), or even just restoring an original buildings. It's all done. Sure, there's a few extending their lines now, but it's normally a 'backburner' job, not something that a group can work on every weekend.

This then leaves the question. What is there to draw new volunteers in? What is there that can make the community want to help? Most railways will actually have at least one loco/vehicle that can be put aside purely for a younger group to become involved with to restore. This could be a small industrial loco, or even a historic wagon (e.g. a coal truck that may be associated with a loco being restored).

Granted, a restoration does cost money. But then, it will also bring in volunteers. But you do need it to be something interesting for younger volunteers to work on. Not a big engine that may never get done, and will likely never be driven by those younger members. But that small 0-4-0/0-6-0 tank loco that can be run around inside a museum compound, or in yard limits, by the restoration team (under supervision as needed of course), or at a minimum fired by the restoration team (again, under supervision as needed). Something they themselves can say "look at what I helped restored!", not something that the old guys can say "look at what we (the railway) restored!"

I'm not saying this is always the way it is. This is simply my own point of view on this issue, a point of view of someone who is involved with the preservation of a small amount of railway history, and who wants to see more people of our age group become more interested.

Zec

I'm a volunteer at the Sydney Tramway Museum, Loftus and i'm probably going to volunteer at the Canberra Rail Museum. :wave:

The idea that 'young people are losing interest in trains' is true, but ONLY if you compare it to how many children used to go trainspotting, i'm 13 and i voulunteer on the mid-hants railway ( waterress line ) and i work in the yard, there are quite a lot of people, aged 12-16 that are part of the young voulunteer program, and many once they pass 16, go on to become cleaners, firemen and eventually, drivers, and there are many railways around the country that have a young voulunteers program, although health and safety here in england means that some railways aren't willing to do things like this:'(
But there seems to be new people joining the 'rangers' every year, so it will run for a while yet hopefully :D :D :D

Many thanks

Meyshollop

I'm 13 started when I was probably 3. My dad took me to the rail yard in Kingston NY. He grew up around trains in Queens and so I've picked it up from him. We're actually planning on freighthopping a train up to Port Douglas, NY. We have a cottage RIGHT on Lake Champlain and the ex-D&H rail line behind us. My dad and I camped by the tracks one, it was tons of fun! we only had two trains that night but the power of being right next to the tracks at night, with the loud rumbles and everything, man what an experience.

James

I am 22 ever since i could rememember we had model trains and went to Steam railroads (Strasburg mainly). Every one from my dads family had model trains from my great grand father down to me the 4th gen... we have many model rail roads in various scales but now one decent size o scale. its like a family tradition for me and some thing me and my father do together besides auto racing...

im 14, my dad and grandpa both work on the union pacific railway and think that might be why i like trains so much. my personal favorites are those old steamers, and i have seen the cabs and ridden behind sp 4449 up 844 and have only seen up 3985

Last edited:
I'm almost 16, have been into Trains ever since Thomas, (As Usual), and Steam has become my Fete. Especially, and Naturally, Colorado Narrow Gauge; Specifically, the Denver, South Park & Pacific Railroad... :D

I notice it is mostly young users posting in this thread. Well now for a change, I am 73 and bought my first version of Trainz when I was 69. I grew up with steam trains, both as a kid in Scotland and later when I came to New Zealand. I still think there is nothing like a steam loco puffing and belching smoke as it hauls a fast passenger express. Though it must be said fast in New Zealand is nothing compared with fast in the UK. I often go on steam excursion trains when ever I get a chance and sometimes do a little bit of work at Mainline Steam Inc.

Cheers,
Bill69

16 going on 17 in February.
My dad works for the railroad so I have been a railroad fan since I was born!

Cheers,
Adam

I am 18 years old, going to be 19 in May, and have been interested in trains since I was old enough to know or remember. Thomas really was my best friend when I wasn't near any real life rains when I was younger.

Now that I am a Friends of the Valley Railroad member, my interest has been sparked once again for trains. This is an opportunity for me to get hands on with equipment and tools, as well as be able to restore a full sized locomotive, and say "I worked on that" or "I had a hand in bringing that back to life"
Steam locomotives have always been my love and passion so working with them is a no brainier. Being able to actually get in the cab and listen to the locomotive actually breath and feel alive sends a chill up my spine. Every time I am working in the locomotive shop and hear the whistle of locomotive 40 or 97, it sends a chill up my spine, and I stop what I am doing and rush outside to see the train crawl into the station, with it's bell piercing away at the cold air as the train chugs,puffs, and breaths it's way into the station. Seeing my work on a locomotive in active service really hits it home, after painting locomotive 97s smoke box, seeing it the week after still looking as good as if we just did it really makes you proud.

I'm 56 and I've been lurking around stations & sheds since I was 9.
(and I ain't got no notion of quittin' yet)

I am a recycled teenager.... well I'm 72 and started as a trainspotter sitting on the platform at Snow Hill station in Birmingham UK.. at the age of ten, ticking off numbers in my Ian Allen GWR Trainspotters book..... The Kings, Castles, County's, Granges and Manors ..... (God's Wonderful Railway)
Then I got into building model railway layouts... and then Trainz 2004 arrived.
It is a great pity that the steam era evolved to diesel so most of you youngsters miss out on the sights and smells of what the railways were really like unless you are lucky enough to visit a preserved railway. But once a railway buff you stay a railway buff..... In thirty years time Trainz 2040 will come with realistic steam and smells added to your wrap around screen... but by then I probably won't be around for the experience... As we oldies disappear in a puff of steam it is up to you youngsters to keep Trainz alive and kicking....
Dennis

I am a big fan of railways, and I'm 13 (14 in August 2010). I am 'tuned in:hehe: ' to the trains that travel through my town. For example, while sitting in class at school, I think I'm the only kid that pays any attention to the horn of a train passing through. I always look up to see what it is... trying not to look too curious though, as I'd look like a goof if I stand up and lean over to see out the window.:eek: I have friends that aren't keen on railways, but respect my interests, I like cars aswell, whenever someone wants to know something about engines, cars or trucks, they ask me. I'm not anywhere near railways or helping any local railmen, but I always pretend I'm working on a Class 24 Metro-Vick when I change filters and such on my dads trucks:hehe: :p . I smell a bit diesely or oily after a weekend at my dads depot. I will agree that young people are not into railways these days. Which is, a downer:( , I mean, the only people that I can talk to about it to are either on the other side of the world, or, on the other side of the world...

I sort of glad that you started this thread, calrail. It's good to see I'm not the only young fella that's into railways...

Thanks
Mitch

You guys must have a great time! Meyshollop, the mid-Hants is my nearest heritage line how do you join the volunteers?

Last edited:
Back