Young People And Railways (how old are you?)

Does 19 count as young? At the very least, I'm young at heart.:D

There is a train club I go to, and can think of three other kids younger than me, besides my brother, who is 18. One is I think 17, another is around the 13, 14 area, and then his little brother is probably about 4. And at my club, we allow the public to see and experience our trains, and I'd say about 60% of them are under the age of ten.

Nearing Retirement

I'm 64 and will retire on my 65th BD next March. I've "playing" with trains off and on most of my life. At one time I had a 10 x 10 room full of HO gauge model railroads but haven't done that in years (too expensive). I hope to learn enough about creating my own routes in Trainz that when I retire I'll have a fun hobby to keep me "young."

I'm 18 and I have been interested in steam locomotives since the age of 2. 3801 was the first steamer I saw and it is soley responsible for my interest! I also work as a PA with Countrylink. The railways is, as is with others, in my blood with many family members work for NSWGR and StateRail over the years.

I actually got a picture of the day I got bitten by the train bug;

28832154.jpg

Christmas 1956, Gilbert American Flyer S gauge trains for presents. Obviously my Dad was a big railfan. :cool: Me on the far left age 3 1/2, holding the Marx torpedo boat.

I'm not exactly applicable to the whole "young age" group, but I'd like to offer some insights to why the numbers of rail enthusiasts are in decline. Also, I've not read every post (short on time), so I apologise in advance if any repetition follows...

Firstly, there's the decline in actual operations. Here in Australia, when I was young, rail operations did occur to most parts of NSW, and on top of this, operations were quite varied and very interesting. Nowadays, most of the old rail network has been torn up... or closed at best. Main lines have seen most of their locations "removed" and the traditional "Railway Town" is a thing of the past. What you see run on the main line is considerably less in frequency as can be attributed to the size of today's 87, 412 tonne trains... there is very little variation in operations. Most of the older generation may describe today's operations as less interesting as well.

Secondly, and of greater influence is the cyber-age we are in. All this fandangled technology is capturing today's young/youth. As a kid, I recall every department store used to sell train sets and accessories... not any more. Specialty hobby stores were plentiful... and prices were good as result. Now even these places are a dying breed... here in Australia anyway. Myself and a mate used to delight in suburb hopping around Sydney during school holidays, just to check out all of the hobby and model rail shops.

Man, they were good days.

Well, I am 14 my self. I have been it to trainz since I got my first lionel in like 2000. I found trainz in 2006 and have been hooked ever since.

My dad took me to the rail yard in Kingston NY. He grew up around trains in Queens and so I've picked it up from him.
James

Awesome man, I grew up in Kingston NY. That's one of my favorite yards to hang out in. I live in Brooklyn now so I don't get up there much these days. I actually lived in a house right on the tracks there. My grandfather and his father worked that line. I remember watching conrail trains pass by with my grandad hanging out the window waving to me. Ahh those were great days.

Anyway I'm 25. Been into trains since I was in the womb. Been with Trainz since 2003 I think. Its been quite the ride.

-Joe

Im 21... Loved trains since i was a young Kid, I have taken photographs of Trains since i was about 10 and still do. Im Involved with Batavia Coast Miniature Railway, in Geraldton... Western Australia and help Drive a Steam Locomotive Running on Coal. I love the smell of coal and end up black at the end of the Day. I would have loved to see more steam train, but do remember a few which ran on tourist trains.

Cheers

David

Im 22. I've been a rail fan since a toddler, thanks to thomas the tank and my granda taking me out and about.

However, it's easy to see why young people are loosing interest, unless my area, the northeast of England (Durham, Newcastle, etc) is rubbish for varied rollingstock.

I've lost almost all interest in real railways due to everything now being either a 66, 67 or 220. When I was younger, I could go out and see a whole array of rollingstock and locos, 20s, 37s, 47s, 56s, 58s, 91s, 92s, loads of different EMU/DMUs. But like I said, everything is either a 66, 67 or 220. But on the odd occasion you do get the odd treat like 47s on a charter or even a 20+37 DRS consist.

I would love to have been around in the BR Diesel days.

I'm 13, the best thing I have to show for being a railfan is that my great-great grandfather was the first engineer to drive the FlyingScotsman! (Im not kidding)

Im 12 now and my greatest thing about my railroading was my grandpa worked on the Rock Island. My Dad rode in the cab with his dad.:D

Last edited:
11 here. I know soooo many trainz for my age:) ! Also, because my dad and grandpa lived near the NEC, my grandpa could name many Pennsy electrics.

Well I am 55, born in 1955. I have loved trains since I was very small.
My grandpa Huffman was a conductor on the N.Y.C at Danville Illinois & made the run up to Chicago. My dad & I rode with him once & thar really got me into trains. I was into model trains for a while but I have always liked the real thing best. When I was 16 I started voluntering at the Monticello Railway Muesum in Monticello Illinois. That was a long drive from HoopestonIL but I had a VW & gas was around $.39 a gallon. I learned to work on & fire steam & was pretty active till I got out of high school.
I have been away from the muesum for several years but I have gotten back to it now that we have Southern Ry #401 back in service. Now that the kids are grown I have the time. I love working on & operating a steam locomotive. Kinda makes me feel 16 again!

Dave Huffman:D

I am 17 years old and i have liked trains since i was 3 years old.I have played the first Trainz and MSTS too.I have grew with train

Last edited:
I'm 14 (nearly 15) and I have been into trains since I was a toddler.

I remember listening the 3801 steam through the Blue Mountains, and seeing the container and coal trains roll past my grandfather's house.

I volunteer at one museum at the moment,
the Cooma Monaro Railway (CMR, same as my initials! :D ).

Hi All...

Probably the oldest i think...:cool: to reply to this.....Age 51,been into Trains Since i was about 5 years of age....:D

Back