So I want to get into HO scale model railroading...

Although I have been away from HO for a while, I still think Athearns and Kato is really good. As Mike said, they are good for the price and are dependable. Kato is expensive but very, very good quality. They are made in Japan so they are really good. I also have a N scale Kato set I recieved while in Japan, hasn't failed me yet.

Matt

Also, is everyone saying Athearn is the best?

Nope! Buy universal track (flexitrack is best; any manufacturer) then handpick rollingstock from Lima. I personally am going for lima but will try to make a carriage with two different couplers so it is compatiable with other cars.

EDIT, Lima doesn't exist anymore so you might have to buy second hand.

Actually, the Lima brand still exists, but as a subsidiary of famous British OO scale manufacturer Hornby.

They've started slowly re-releasing their old model lines too, but there isn't a lot available at the moment sadly.

Also, Lima models traditionally use the horrible clunky European 'NEM' style couplers which are completely incompatible with the horn-hook couplers standard on most American models.

Just to make things a bit clearer, both Bachmann and LifeLike make loco's/sets aimed at the "toy" end of the market, these are not to be mistaken for the Spectrum (Bachmann) or the Proto2000 (LifeLike) ranges, which are aimed at the same model market as Athern etc.
But with only us$50 to spend I am afraid all you are going to get is in the "toy" range or used.
Might I suggest you buy a couple of rolling stock kits, and get in some building practice, then when you can afford to start your 'empire' you will have one (or more) detailed pieces of rolling stock and some experience in detailing :)

If anyone wants to know if they have a loco aimed at the toy market have a look for capacitors across the motor, they are on the "toy" range but not on the model range (with few exceptions), this is due to electrical noise suppression laws requiring them on any "toy" and a toy is regarded as anything aimed at or below an 8 year old child :hehe: :D
Most countries have the same rules 'give or take' ;)

Cheers David

Bachman makes some pretty cool trolleys.
4217670357_935cc0a5f3_b.jpg

4218439016_e0de66f0d4_b.jpg

They are about $40 each. I ran these three for a full day and they ran perfectly. They are relatively quiet, smooth running and have working headlights, tail lights and interior lights. :)

Note: I added the number 63 to the tram in green and cream with the red "waistband".

I don't really know where to put this thread right now. With the large pics, it's only appropriate here. Tough to find though. Remember that next time.

Boco

I'm still using the stuff I got as a beginner just because it's great! My grandmother once bought me tons and tons of stuff to start my trainworld (which needs a new table..). It included a limited edition Irish steam locomotive with Bachmann EZ-Track, more EZ-Track, DC Systems, and a big New Haven fleet! Hell Yeah!

What I'm saying is that for track, start with some EZ-Track. I suggest starting your locomotive fleet at some DC diesels online that aren't too pricy, just things from Athearn or Bachmann or IHC...

And once you've grown your fleet, have some good space, and are ready to go to the next level (which is where I'm at, right now..) I'd keep the EZ-Track in use and ballast that baby up, put some scenery around..

I went to the National Model Railroad Convention last summer, I got tons of ballast and grass.. good stuff there

Ready to Run trainsets are generaly junk...from China. Do not buy pre-packaged trainsets......
I think packaged trainsets are a great way for someone to get started in model railroading.....it's unrealistic to expect beginners to plunk down the kind of money you need to buy quality stuff. Model Railroading is an expensive hobby...even when you use the cheap stuff.....I've been model railroading for almost 40 years and I am not going to plunk down hundreds of dollars for a locomotive. I usually buy at model railroad shows, flea markets and garage sales.....you can usually get what you need. The only thing I usually buy new anymore are buildings that I can't find at shows, etc...:cool:

This is purely a track set. There's nothing in it except track. If you go with the E-Z track, (which has ballast molded with the track ties), they you're probably going to be stuck with it for all of your track work unless you make a transition to another track at some point. Personally, if you're really wanting to go with fixed track, I would recommend something with Atlas nickel silver track and snap switches. It's good, dependable track. You'll just wind up with a lot of track joints with any kind of fixed track that comes in a packaged set.

Mike

A good alternative to a train set is to buy everything seperate. The good reasons are because manufactures pack the cheapest (in quality) items in train sets. A good way to go is to go here:

Click Here

You can purchase some of the best DC controllers/transformers on the market. MRC makes the Railpower series, and from use, it's probably the best I've touched. Look into them, they also make some top-notch DCC systems if you go even further into the hobby, but that's down the road a bit. It's recommended you buy it new.

Go here for trains:
http://www.modeltrainstuff.com/

Here is my overview of some of the makers:
Walthers:
A company made years ago, and has been creating great trains for years, it even has one of the biggest train shopping websites and inventories.
  1. Life-Like from Walthers is terrible! Do not buy unless you really need to.
  2. Proto 1000 from Walthers is better, fair detail and power for the price range.
  3. Proto 2000 is the beast from Walthers. They lay down DCC decoders, quantum sound, detailed interiors, and some great detail. Well worth the price. (MRC has DC controllers that can allow you to access DCC decoders' sound functions.)
  4. Trainman is the lower range, stuck between Life-Like and Proto 1000. Great motors, and detail, however, paint and detail is various.

Bachmann:
A company based in China after the Kader buyout in the 1990s that offers E-Z track (track with pre-modeled roadbed) and legendary service for 175 years.
  • Standard: It's the lowest, it features great motors, fair detail, and awesome service.
  • Silver Series Cars: Great running cars with fair detail...for a great price too!
  • DCC On-Board: The same as Standard, but with a basic DCC decoder pre-installed.
  • Spectrum: The best, Bachmann pulls all of it's stunts and offers DCC-ready (The model is ready for user-installed decoder. Not included.), DCC-On board, or DCC-On board with sound.

Athearn:
A great company, though everything isn't cheap, it's amazing detailed. This is the crown jewel of detail. However, they don't have cheap stuff.
  • Athearn Ready-To-Roll: A series with cars pre-made with great detail, and awesome quality. As stated by the name, you can literally open the box, and set it on the rails to go.
  • Athearn Genesis: You want the best they offer? Here it is! Everything goes over or at the $100 price range, but it's seriously worth it.

ExactRail:
The newbie of railroad makers, however, they have been working with other manufacture's for years making high-detail possible, so behold there astounding detail...for drop-dead prices!
  • Evolution Series: Their first series, everything is what it should be with equal prices...and that simple bar is high with them.
  • Platinum series: The higher rank for modelers, again, detail is no compromise.
  • Express series: Fastly made items for lower budgets with great detail for the price range.

...and more! Companies are everywhere, go out and find some forums for your help, ask around! This is a lifetime hobby, and it's deep.

Go here: http://www.thewhistlepost.com/

Here, I found many friends. I found great help, and I found fun.

Look around a bit and see if you want to register for a membership. Google around too, the Internet is your best resource for HO scale modeling!

Cheers,
Joshua

EDIT:
leeferr,
I would like to add a bit more:
Atlas is great for going along with track, and having fair detail, but go with Peco switches, just give them a look at. They are better than Atlas, but don't blow the budget.

http://www.walthers.com/exec/search...rds=restrict&instock=Q&split=30&Submit=Search

However,
Atlas's brown track flex track is great, I would use it. I just think the snap switches are a bit to unrealistic with motor connectors. With Peco, you either just buy and install their under-the-table switch machine or some Turquoise Switch Motors.

Also, the best you could go for is Micro Engineering turnouts, but they only offer #6 turnouts. For some more information on turnouts and track:
http://www.kalmbachstore.com/mr6090801.html

Last edited:
Again, I'm scared of buying individual track. If I had to get a track set, would that be okay? And for now I can't buy off any site but Amazon.

I agree with you on the PECO switches although I generally use Shinohara or make my own. I was just suggesting the snap switches and Atlas track because the young man is on a very tight budget. It generally goes back to the old adage of 'you get what you pay for'. Not to spurn Atlas as they make some great stuff and are a beginner's starting point generally. Also, their snap switches may not be very realistic, but they tend to be very dependable and are good for hidden locations.

Most of us that have ever built a model railroad will generally agree that our first layout usually is not very good and is not long lived. We generally graduate to larger and more detailed layouts as our space and budget allows. This is why I love Trainz so much, but if I had the room to build another model railroad, I would definitely do it. My last layout filled a room about 20 ft x 22 ft. I had all of the track laid, signalling done and was about to start on scenery when I had to move and the layout got torn down.

Mike

I think packaged trainsets are a great way for someone to get started in model railroading.....it's unrealistic to expect beginners to plunk down the kind of money you need to buy quality stuff.(SNIP)

I really have to agree. As long as I have been watching this thread, I have seen good advice given and good discussion concerning quality in general...just not for a fellow starting out with $50.00 gift cards from Amazon. Is it reasonable to expect someone to buy a boxcar and then stare at it for months until he can buy his next piece? Should this person buy a circle of track with no train to run on it?

I would advise him (or her) to buy the set they can with the money they have regardless of the quality, play with it, learn about it, and then seek out quality pieces when they can. Foster a love of the hobby that won't be achieved through a circle of track, or a great piece of rolling stock, do your research and improve your layout slowly as your income allows.

That's good advice Ed. The point of my posts are for him to realize what he's getting. I've seen so many young people get frustrated with packaged sets and then we lose them from the hobby. As long as he knows what he's getting for his money, then he can work with it and build up from there. I still stand by my suggestions of avoiding steel or brass track if at all possible.

Good to hear from you Ed. Hope you had a good Christmas.

Mike

For once us euro folks are better off

Bought myself a nice little Roco Digital Starter set with a little oval and two curved turnouts. But the main thing here is the quality of the stuff they put into the box, this is the real maccoy - no budget models and all for appx $ 380.

c2261d723a.jpg

photo courtesy of Roco

Or you can get something like this straight out of the box too: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IL9fWXFr0r0

Yes,but if your planning to buy a steam locomotive with sound,becareful because some brands don't have good sounds and from what I'm thinking,MTH has good steam locomotives that have good sounds within a reasonable price range and one other thing: becareful when taking out the engine and tender because the wires linking them together is very fragile and will break causing it not to work, like bachmann spectrum's 2-10-0 decapod for instance!:eek:

Back