Streamlined era content for TS2010?

CurlSnout

Greetings from Planet 10. I just received TS2010 and am a complete novice when it comes to using the Download Station. My primary interest is in locomotives and trainsets (passenger and/or freight) of the streamlined era - EMD F Units, E Units, Alco PAs. Also some of the more famous named passenger trains - the Superchief (ATSF), California Zephyr (CB&Q/D&RGW/WP), Empire Builder (GN), Hiawatha (MR), etc.

I am happy to learn-as-I-go with the DLS, but wonder if anyone might already know some useful search parameters to use in order to find content that has been built for, or is compatible with, TS2010. So far, most of my searches turn up zero results. Hard to believe this stuff doesn't exist somewhere in the Trainz universe. Can anyone offer help?

Thanks in advance,

cs

I am using TS2006 and most of what you are looking for is on the DLS or built in. However I am not sure it will all work or show up in TS2010. You have to tick all the boxes when searching.

Good Luck, tomurban

Have a look at my website, go down the bottom to Streamlined and there is a bunch of streamlined locos.

Try just putting the name of a particular item in the text box. Zephyr turns up a bunch of stuff, but oddly enough trying to add the Locomotive, Train Vehicle, or Rolling Stock category filters prevents them from showing up. (They show up as "misc" in the main window for some reason.)

This site may be down at the moment, but it's got a huge and categorized list of locomotives:
http://trainz.banal.net/catalog/catalog.html

You can also try the website DLS search, it sometimes works better then the 2010 CMP search:
http://www.auran.com/TRS2004/DLS.php

One little tip when looking for missing dependencies, even if a KUID shows up unknown in TS2010 it's possible the object might be on the DLS. Take the first two sets of numbers, colon and all, and try pasting them in the website DLS search. Select KUID and select all Trainz versions down to Trainz.

Sometimes items are created as KUID:xxxx:xxxx items and then replaced later as KUID2:xxxx:xxxx:x items, but when CMP searches for a KUID it doesn't just search using the numbers so if an object uses the KUID version it won't see the KUID2 version. The website can search just using the first two sets of numbers. (For a KUID2 object the third number is a version number.)

Searching just the first number (author ID) on the DLS site can help identify an author which may help in finding off-site resources. Google's usually the first place to try off-site searches though, again start with just the first two sets of numbers with colon.

Edit: In the above Zephyr search, using the Locomotive filter on the DLS website search works. So the CMP one not working and the item showing up as "Misc" is probably a bug.

Thanks everyone, for your helpful replies. I'm beginning to have some success finding stuff, but am still surprised at the number of searches that turn up "No Downloads Found" for things that have to be out there - regardless of the various category/version/text permutations I use. And, it seems much of what does come up is from years ago. Reckon I'll slug it out and find what I find. In any case, I'm having fun.

Again, many thanks,

cs

Thanks everyone, for your helpful replies. I'm beginning to have some success finding stuff, but am still surprised at the number of searches that turn up "No Downloads Found" for things that have to be out there - regardless of the various category/version/text permutations I use. And, it seems much of what does come up is from years ago. Reckon I'll slug it out and find what I find. In any case, I'm having fun.

Again, many thanks,

cs

"No Downloads Found" happens to everyone. You will find that with time and practice your success rate will increase dramatically. It's all part of the learning curve that we all went through at one time or another. In many cases once you find them you will have to "fix" them, especially older items. That will provide even more fun and a real challenge in some cases. Just remember, if you get stuck on something, some one here has probably already worked out a solution.

tomurban

Back