Can it be done?

Aarow

I did started a topic for this question 2 weeks ago but it had been demolished for some reason :/ Can the saved games directory, ..Auran\TS2009\cache\sessions be backed up?(of course with backuping the rest of the game,sessions.etc..). Is there any1 who experienced this and got it to work?

Correct me if I am wrong, but saved sessions (like everything else) are saved in 'Local', which can certainly be backed up...

Andy :)

You need to use an external backup program, such as Windows backup. Trainz itself will not archive files in the Cache folder.

I create a complete backup of my entire working TS2010 folder at least once a week. When I'm making a lot of changes to a route or content, I make a backup of that route using the Archive feature.

FW

Copying your Trainz folder to another drive will work for a single backup. This is difficult to manage if there are multiple backups because every time you write the Trainz program folder to your external drive, you have to either create a subfolder with a date or some identifier, or rename the old backup to something else so you don't overwrite it. This is of course under the pretence that you want to keep your previous backups.

Backup software will archive everything in the folder into a single backup file, and create an index pointing to the files within the backup. This file is usually a lot smaller than the whole folder being backed up, and also is usually dated and indexed so that this backup isn't overwritten by a future backup.

There are many backup programs available. Veritas makes one, which is similar to their BackupExec (corporate software), Seagate offers a backup program, and there is one available in Windows. There are others offered by Sunbelt Software and other companies as well.

John

Try Microsoft's program SyncToy. It backups individual directories to another drive or location (makes a mirror copy). The original and the mirror are a synced pair, you just run it when you want and it copies any new files that have been added. It can mirror the files both ways if you wish.

It is very easy to use, just set up mirror pairs for any directory you want to copy. It does not encrypt the files. You do not have to answer questions such as "do you wish to overwrite....", which was always a pain when copying.

I use it regularly for all my 3dsmax models, materials and research pictures etc. Invaluable when I had a hard disk failure a couple of weeks ago.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...36-98e0-4ee9-a7c5-98d0592d8c52&displaylang=en

Ian

Back