Deleting Trainz 2009

Tracker99

I've struggled with '09 since I 1st installed it Sept '09. Honestly, I've never had a simulation as unstable as this one. Its propensity for crashing is just uncanny. I've taken to saving often during a session, but there are times when my concentration is on a complicated piece of track work and I just don't save every time I lay a section of track, only to have Trainz crash, and thus loose everything I've been working on. The last time was a hours worth of yard construction.

Now before everyone jumps on my case. let me say that I've been a online auto racer for nearly 15 years, (been retired from that scene for a few years now), so I know what a simulation can be, and this one surely isn't even close. I've lived with slow downloads, refusing to being forced into purchasing a DLT which should be free, a content manager that's so archaic, it's funny. It's hard to limit a search when every piece of equipment has a different nomenclature, thus making it nearly impossible to find most of what you're looking for. A simple thing like trying to find all BN engines by typing that results in missing any engines that names start with EMD, etc. Thus the constant having to search the whole data base time and time again. And then there's the issue of not being able to delete content that you'll never need, such as foreign roads.

I could go on and on, but there is no reason to do so. I tried Trainz as a legitimate alternative to model railroading with it's space limitation issues, etc. but I just can't accept the poor programing issues that I constantly have faced. Even a simple thing as online operations other then using IPortals isnt' available, while it's a given in just about all other online gaming.

Rather then continuing to improve and update '09, I'm faced with constant ads about the vast improvements made with the introduction of Trains 2010 to correct all that's wrong with Trainz 2009. Fix what's wrong with '09 1st.

Hi Tracker99: I can sympathize with you on the crashing problem..The only thing I can tell you, I did an Uninstall-Reinstall to Build 37625..Then I went to manuel Patch 37625-40010 and its working to this point..

Bob Cass:) :)

Hi Tracker99, I 've been running 06 ever since it came out and have had no problems with it. I'm waiting awhile before I buy 2010 tomake sure most of the bugs are fixed. I know, you hate to have to buy a older version but it works and there are many fabulous routes out there waiting for you. You should be able to get it cheaper at some place other than Auran's Shop but make sure there's a legimate key #. Good luck.

I've been running TRS04 & 06 & havn't had any real problems but I have to agree that from the beginning of the series the download interface has been more complex than it really needs to be.Other than that however it's still a good series if you like simulations & railroads.

..., only to have Trainz crash, and thus loose everything I've been working on. The last time was a hours worth of yard construction.

... Fix what's wrong with '09 1st.
Not going to tell you that TS2009 has been rock solid on my machine cause that won't help you but since we're using the same program but on different machines, I would look at the machine before blaming Trainz. Got the latest drivers? Memory is stable, even the last chip? Some times the first GB of memory is OK but the 2nd might have an instability that only shows up when really stressed.

As for losing hours of work, try turning on the auto save feature. If you set it to a short interval, you won't lose as much while figuring out why your Trainz crashes.

Thanks for all the replies.

My system is rock solid as I have no issues with either Civilization IV/Warloads, nor Chessmaster 10.

I opted for Trainz 2009 over 2006 because of the better graphics, or so I thought. I'm really considering back sliding and buying 2006, 1st for its stability, and the fact that so much of the extra content available on many 3rd party sites are made for it rather then '09. With 2010 out now, most 3rd party sites will either stick with targeting the majority of users that haven't upgraded to 2010.

As for the auto save feature, I'll certainly activate it.

As for losing hours of work, try turning on the auto save feature. If you set it to a short interval, you won't lose as much while figuring out why your Trainz crashes.
Ouch. This is actually the largest bug that hampers TS2009. The auto-save option is dangerously bad crash-wise. I would really like to see it patched.

Ouch. This is actually the largest bug that hampers TS2009. The auto-save option is dangerously bad crash-wise. I would really like to see it patched.

Care to elaborate? I've never had a problem with this one. You want dangerously bad? Try CM2. :hehe:

Cheerio,
Nicholas.

How can the same code be so stable on one system and cause so much grief on another? You would almost think the coders added a special subroutine: if username or machine type is in list, cause mischief. :eek:

Even then, identical hardware can be configured differently and most likely have different software installed and running. A recipe for coding nightmares. :eek:

Look at it this way: Counterstrike, Half Life, Need For Speed, Linux, AutoCAD - they run on all sorts of machines all over the world.
Sure, of course on some machines there'll be a few issues here and there but they're nowhere close to "grief".

It's how much effort put into a piece of software, not rapidly releasing one buggy title after another.

I'm still debating deleting Trainz 2009. I've stopped work on the SKD II while I decide on a retro move back to Trainz 2006. I quickly demised any ideas of purchasing Trainz 2010, especially since there is little content made for it, and after experiencing so much not applicable content for '09, I see no reason to further isolate myself from the 3rd party content I need.

As I stated at the start of this thread, I still can't understand why there is no true online operations available other then IPortals, which is nothing more then computer controlled staging yards. If the auto racing community can have 40 drivers from all over the world racing at the same time, I see no valid reason why we can't have online Ops, much as a club of various sizes would have in real life. Even Ops with 1 or 2 other people would make multi train Ops valid other then just having computer trains running somewhere on ones route, with a meet or two as the only reason for doing such.

And how about spending some quality time and effort to make CM2 what it should be. All unwanted content should be deletable. Content should be clearly stated with nomenclature that makes it easy to find via the search function. Downloaded content can be name changed, but pre-installed content is a nightmare.

...while I decide on a retro move back to Trainz 2006
Some people consider TRS2004 significantly superior to TRS2006. It has a simpler, faster and far more reliable asset management system, it doesn't have the incurable sound bug that affects some TRS2006 users, and it can create and run true scenarios (which TRS2006 can only partially do and then only when created by very advanced experts).

John

Joel, nomenclature is and will continue to be an issue. Even if Auran did take the effort and made all built-in content of the same filename nomenclature, there are still thousands and thousands on items on the DLS or third-party sites that are not and will not be. Content creators have yet to agree on a certain naming protocol for their creations so until that happens, we'll have to make do with what we already have.

Cheerio,
Nicholas.

Some people consider TRS2004 significantly superior to TRS2006. It has a simpler, faster and far more reliable asset management system, it doesn't have the incurable sound bug that affects some TRS2006 users, and it can create and run true scenarios (which TRS2006 can only partially do and then only when created by very advanced experts).

John

Looks like I should spend more time with 04 than 06 then....granted I havn't yet explored 04's version of CMP since 06's is a pain in the rear to use.

The only drawback to TRS04 is that you can't easily get some of the newer content that was added with 06,such as the subway set even if the consists for some reason aren't even operable since they're not being recognized by the game.

Joel, nomenclature is and will continue to be an issue. Even if Auran did take the effort and made all built-in content of the same filename nomenclature, there are still thousands and thousands on items on the DLS or third-party sites that are not and will not be. Content creators have yet to agree on a certain naming protocol for their creations so until that happens, we'll have to make do with what we already have.

Cheerio,
Nicholas.

Nicholas, 3rd party nomenclature can be changed before one uploads them through the CM2. It's the weird and inconsistent file names that Aurian uses that drives me nuts.

Looks like I should spend more time with 04 than 06 then....granted I havn't yet explored 04's version of CMP since 06's is a pain in the rear to use.
TRS2004 doesn't have CMP. Instead it uses a folder with a kuid number as its name for each asset. This means you can do all asset management in Windows Explorer. In addition, the excellent free Trainz Objectz program displays installed assets in a spreadsheet format, checks for common errors, and lists dependencies.
The only drawback to TRS04 is that you can't easily get some of the newer content that was added with 06,such as the subway set even if the consists for some reason aren't even operable since they're not being recognized by the game.
Sometimes changing the version number in the config.txt file to that of TRS2004 is all that is needed but I don't know if that applies in this particular case.

John

Nicholas, 3rd party nomenclature can be changed before one uploads them through the CM2. It's the weird and inconsistent file names that Aurian uses that drives me nuts.

You're quite missing my point. As you realize, files have already been uploaded to the DLS. Many in fact.

Back